Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [14]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Re: Whereas, when first observed, more than a million trees were [#permalink]
Whereas, when first observed, more than a million trees were planted in Nebraska on Arbor Day, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.
a) Whereas, when first observed, more than a million trees were planted in Nebraska on Arbor Day, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.
- Completely awkward & illogical . What was 1st observed. Thus Incorrect.

b) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed with the planting of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day.
CORRECT

c) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska with the plantation of more than a million trees, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.
Placement of "In Nebraska" is incorrect as it now means that the Arbor day was observed in Nebraska & plantation of trees took place at a unknown location. Thus Incorrect.

d) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed with the planting of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observes Arbor Day.
Plural verb "OBSERVE" should be used because the subject (entire nation and the world) is plural. Thus Incorrect

e) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed along with the plantation of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day.
"Along with the Plantation" changes the intended meaning as it means that Arbor day was observed on the same day as the plantation of trees took place. Thus Incorrect
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OE:
What does the sentence mean - This sentence shows a contrast between Arbor day celebration in the past and current time.
1: In the past = More than a million trees were planted in Nebraska.
2: In present = It is observed throughout the nation and the world.
It appears that the point of contrast is the location of celebration of Arbor day.

What does the question test - This question tests your expertise in establishing correct comparison/contrast.

What are the errors in the original sentence – The original sentence has parallelism error since the contrast is not established correctly. As explained in the meaning, the emphasis of the sentence is that in the past, it was celebrated such that more than million trees were planted. In order to establish correct contrast, emphasis should be placed on the location where Arbor Day was celebrated.

a) Whereas, when first observed, more than a million trees were planted in Nebraska on Arbor Day, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.
This choice does not establish correct comparison as explained in sentence analysis.

b) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed with the planting of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day.
This choice has two parallelism based errors:
1: Comparison error as in Choice A.
2: Parallelism Error – The two parallel (contrasting) clauses should be parallel and hence should be stated in same voice. But clause 1 – Arbor day was observed – is in passive voice and clause 2 – entire nation observe – is in active voice.

c) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska with the plantation of more than a million trees, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.
Correct Choice

d) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed with the planting of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observes Arbor Day.
This choice has three errors
1: Parallelism errors as explained in Choice B
2: SV-Number error – entire nation and world is plural subject and hence use of singular “observes” is incorrect.

e) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed along with the plantation of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day
This choice has parallelism errors as explained in Choice B.
It also changes the meaning of the sentence by stating “arbor day was first observed along with the plantation of…”. This implies as if “Arbor day” and “plantation of trees” are two separate events that took place in Nebraska.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
Whereas, when first observed, more than a million trees were planted in Nebraska on Arbor Day, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.

e) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed along with the plantation of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day.

a) too wordy, also doesn't seem right to me. - wrong
b) the mail fact of the sentence is that Arbor day was first observed in Nebraska, but the sentence in option B gives more emphasis to the planting of the trees, hence conflict in meaning - wrong
c) correctly emphasizes the observation of Arbor day in Nebraska, also the pronoun "it" correctly refers to Arbor day. - correct
d) same as B, planting of trees comes before observation in Nebraska, I don't agree with this. - wrong
e) same as B, planting of trees comes before observation in Nebraska, I don't agree with this. - wrong

forgive me is there is something wrong, please correct me if needed.

Kudos me if my post helped you. cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Blueseas,

I agree with the Logical parallelism error in option B but i don't agree with the use of word PLANTATION in option C.
What is the source of this question?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
fameatop wrote:
Blueseas,

I agree with the Logical parallelism error in option B but i don't agree with the use of word PLANTATION in option C.

I do have the same question. I eliminated C because of "plantation". I feel "plantation" shifts meaning a bit. Anyway, OA is OA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Blueseas,

I do have the same question. I eliminated C because of "plantation". I feel "plantation" shifts meaning a bit. Anyway, OA is OA.

hi pghai ,fameatop,

i dont think that use of plantation is wrong.

plantation: A plantation is a large agricultural property dedicated to planting a few crops on a large scale.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/plantation
so it is actually an area where plants are grown.
now if we just replace plantation with area in correct option:

c) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska with the area of more than a million trees, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.

now it does make sense...we are comparing area of NEBRASKA with area all over the country.

any inputs..
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi blueseas.

It's crystal clear now. +1 for you.

Best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM

I don't agree with the usage of plantation as it doesn't convey the right meaning.

Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska with the area of more than a million trees, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.

This reasoning is flawed as per OE as the explanation for Option E is

It also changes the meaning of the sentence by stating “arbor day was first observed along with the plantation of…”. This implies as if “Arbor day” and “plantation of trees” are two separate events that took place in Nebraska.

Clearly OE is considering Plantation of trees to be an Event (not an area). That's clearly incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I looked for active and passive voice //lism errors in sentences. Only option C seemed to have the correct //lism construct. As for plantation, I dont think it changes the meaning of the sentence to an extent that we eliminate the option.
All in all, happy to get this right! :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
OE:
What does the sentence mean - This sentence shows a contrast between Arbor day celebration in the past and current time.
1: In the past = More than a million trees were planted in Nebraska.
2: In present = It is observed throughout the nation and the world.
It appears that the point of contrast is the location of celebration of Arbor day.

What does the question test - This question tests your expertise in establishing correct comparison/contrast.

What are the errors in the original sentence – The original sentence has parallelism error since the contrast is not established correctly. As explained in the meaning, the emphasis of the sentence is that in the past, it was celebrated such that more than million trees were planted. In order to establish correct contrast, emphasis should be placed on the location where Arbor Day was celebrated.

This choice does not establish correct comparison as explained in sentence analysis.

This choice has two parallelism based errors:
1: Comparison error as in Choice A.
2: Parallelism Error – The two parallel (contrasting) clauses should be parallel and hence should be stated in same voice. But clause 1 – Arbor day was observed – is in passive voice and clause 2 – entire nation observe – is in active voice.

Correct Choice

This choice has three errors
1: Parallelism errors as explained in Choice B
2: SV-Number error – entire nation and world is plural subject and hence use of singular “observes” is incorrect.

e) Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed along with the plantation of more than a million trees in Nebraska, now the entire nation and the world observe Arbor Day
This choice has parallelism errors as explained in Choice B.

Great Explaintation Blueseas, I selected C, but I was confused between B and C. your explaination helped me to recollect the concept and application of it. The parallelism of active and passive voice.

Regards,
Amit
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
But which clause is subordinate clause and which is main clause in this sentence.

Whereas, Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska with the plantation of more than a million trees, it is now observed throughout the nation and the world.

Whereas is a subordinating conjunction separated by comma, and I have never seen such construction before; it should not be comma separated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I understand the Arbor Day is the day when you plant trees.
how can "plantation" be a correct comparison with "planting"?
"plantation" = area, place where people plant (noun)
"planting"/"plant" = an activity

Please enlighten me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM