It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Re: With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 04:27
nitin6305 wrote:
As per solutions above answer choice C is incorrect because it is using wrong idiom, "considered as". What if the answer choice read, " Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life and has"? Would it be correct then? I am asking because this sentence makes perfect sense,
" With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit,Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life and has 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom."

Not sure if you had the opportunity to read my post, a couple of posts above this, directly addressing this point.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2014, 11:49
piyushjj wrote:
Whenever you see such question, break the sentence into clauses, the basic step in SC questions. This blue portion is itself the Absolute Phrase which modifies the entire idea of the preceding clause.
Anyways, break the entire sentence into clauses.
i)With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit.
ii)Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life.
iii)and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

Notice that the third clause is NOT the independent clause.

Can anyone please explain it to me. I thought the above sentence has just one clause: Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered, rest all are modifiers....

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit(verb-ed modifier), Jupiter's moon Europa(Subject) has long been considered(verb) far too cold to support life and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom(verb-ed modifier).

I also agree that the above sentence has only one clause; however, just numbering different elements of it doesn't mean that each one is a clause. IMO, Marcab is separating out the modifiers from the main clause to isolate the elements of this sentence.
Marcab could you please help all of us to clear this confusion.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2014, 02:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with - comma+ and starts new clause, here absence of subject in 2nd clause is problem

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its - correct answer

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has - Wrong Idiom

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its - Wrong Idiom

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have - Wrong Idiom

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 174

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 15:22
If we read the original sentence as ,

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life.

Does it make sense? My point is that both the the "with" phrases modify the same saem clause, "Jupiter's moon...." and are paralle as well, then why is the sentence as is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 174

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 69 [3], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
nitin6305 wrote:
If we read the original sentence as ,

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life.

Does it make sense? My point is that both the the "with" phrases modify the same saem clause, "Jupiter's moon...." and are paralle as well, then why is the sentence as is wrong?

Check comma+end - it starts a new clause , which should contain a subject and a verb. In this new phrase subject is missing. \If we repeat subject in this clause then sentence would be correct.

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 69 [3], given: 120

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 23:40
Marcab wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

will provide OA after explanations.

Answer must be B
First of all we do have to consider the correct usage of "With".
ex- "With 4 childrens at home, Rachel barely has any spare time for her hobbies".
Notice that the two clauses of the above sentence are reinforcing into each other.
So the sentence must complete after the second clause. If it does'nt, then the third clause must be a modifier, modifying the preceding clause.
B does it correctly.
", its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom" is an absolute phrase that is modifying " Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life".
Whats the OA and the source?
-s

I have few questions from you-
I normally put other rules to secondary position and judge with what Ron emphasizes so much:

and should complete the laundry list
and should connect two clauses
and can also connect two similar phrases
If we ignore idiomatic error for a while in C, can we discard C as and is unable to connect two part with exactly same tenses.
first part has continuous tense and in second part the tense is not continuous.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 298

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 04:21
honchos wrote:
If we ignore idiomatic error for a while in C, can we discard C as and is unable to connect two part with exactly same tenses.

Actually this is not a requirement that parts connected by and should be in the same tense.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 20:11
By the way, leave everything aside, in Q1 Option 4, is the use of being in "being dissipated" correct?

I guess no because acoustic energy can prevent sound from "dissipation" rather than "being dissipation". Kindly correct me if I am getting wrong somewhere.

(As mentioned at when-you-should-eliminate-being-the-answer-is-here-141086.html)

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 93

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 12:43
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with
comma+and introduces a new clause, but this new clause does not have a verb.

B. Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its
this answer choice changes comma+and to its. now we have a noun+noun modifier which correctly modifies Jupiter's Moon Europa.

C. Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has
2 clauses are connected only by and.

D. Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its
now long considered.. serves as a modifier, but after this modifier we have comma+and

E. Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have
same error as in D. In addition, with this choice, the sentence does not have a verb.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 13:37
Sinner1706 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
daagh wrote:
@Marcab;
Although I must be honest in admitting that, I haven’t gone through you note as yet, as I am hard - pressed these days for time due to some assignments, as my first reaction, I must appreciate your stupendous effort.

This, I aver, is initiative, involvement and enterprise. A big kudo to you.

Thanks daagh.
A kudo from people like you encourages me a lot.
I just hope, GMAC KUDOes me by providing a solid score.
Thnx again.

Hi Marcab,

How would you apply your HOW rule to the following Question?

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus
that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root-like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some
10,000 years ago and extendingfor more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A. extending
B. extends
C. extended
D. it extended
E. is extending

Your erudite help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you post the Official Answer?

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 04:19
daagh wrote:
@Marcab;
Although I must be honest in admitting that, I haven’t gone through you note as yet, as I am hard - pressed these days for time due to some assignments, as my first reaction, I must appreciate your stupendous effort.

This, I aver, is initiative, involvement and enterprise. A big kudo to you.

Hi Sir,

What is your take on questions involving Absolute Phrases?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 11

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
ezinis wrote:
:) Need explanation

The sentence says that Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life.
Option D and E are straightaway out it breaks the sentence by introducing the (,).
Option A is wrong considering 'with' preposition.

We are now left with option B and C. Ideally on first look C seems to be correct however it is not.
The sentence says that Jupiter's moon europa is too cold to support life and it gives reason why it too cold.
Because "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom....". We used "and" to connect two different statement. However in above we are just providing addition piece of information or reason. Hence B is the correct answer.
Although i did initially checked C and i was wrong.

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 11

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 19:02
hello, I have a question to ask you.
N + get / have SB/STH + past participle is not tolerated in GMAT?
If this structure will be tested on GMAT, how can I use this structure correctly?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Sid,

I'd prefer if you didn't do that. While the forums are meant to be a place for people to discuss any material out there (including ours), it's not a place to simply share out all the material we have just so others can see it. Seek, if you want full access to all that stuff, all you need to do is buy the SC guide, which is very reasonably priced! Or, if you're really insistent, merely by searching the forums (here and elsewhere), you can probably find many of our questions discussed somewhere or another. : )

-tommy

Sorry to ask but I rejected B speifically because of the 'its' used in the question. As the pronoun refers back to a possessive antecedent should it not simply refer to Jupiter's rather than Europa. My construction leads to an illogical inference that Jupiter has ice. Hence, I rejected this answer choice.

Can you please explain how is its used to refer to Europa?

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 01:49
daagh
Hi Daagh, can you kindly help with the following:
1. Would C be grammatically correct if it had not added "as" after "considered"?
2. Would A be correct if the "and" is removed: "With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom."

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 06:16
A very helpful post.
Absolute phrases are optional in sentences, i.e., they can be removed without damaging the grammatical integrity of the sentence. Since absolute phrases are optional in the sentence, they are often set off from the sentence with commas or, less often, with dashes. We normally explain absolute phrases by saying that they modify entire sentences, rather than one word.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 06:33
Top Contributor
mailabhishekmathur wrote

Quote:
Sorry to ask but I rejected B specifically because of the 'its' used in the question. As the pronoun refers back to a possessive antecedent should it not simply refer to Jupiter's rather than Europa. My construction leads to an illogical inference that Jupiter has ice. Hence, I rejected this answer choice.

Can you please explain how is its used to refer to Europa?

Hi

Jupiter's' is not the subject here. Jupiter's moon (Europa) is the subject. 'Jupiter's' is simply an adjective.
A possessive pronoun (its) noun can certainly stand for a non- possessive noun (Europa). Only the reverse cannot happen.

Kerin wrote

Quote:
Hi Daagh, can you kindly help with the following:

1. Would C be grammatically correct if it had not added "as" after "considered"?

2. Would A be correct if the "and" is removed:
"With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom."

Kerin
Hi
1. Yes, C is correct the way you suggest
2. We are now getting into a slightly more complicated situation of adverbial modifiers started by 'with.
With denotes a certain level of physical accompaniment. In this case, even though the 'with' modifier at the end of the sentence modifies the entire clause before it as an absolute phrase, still the absolute phrase is not contributing to the clause. In addition, the preposition 'with' may modify a noun but not an elaborate action. Probably a simple appositive would have provided the additional meaning the as effectively and that is the reason B wins over A.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

VP
VP
G

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:33
Imo B
The modifier clearly modifies the preceding sentence .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 11:08

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with
- why is "and with" here? "and with" sets up something else, as if there's some sort of a list. that's not what is happening here.

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its
- correct as is

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has
- "considered as" = UNIDIOMATIC. PROPER IDIOM: "considered X" or "X is considered Y"

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its
- same as "D"

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have
- same as "A". "and to have" = completely wrong

i think the key thing here is that the phrase after "support life" = a modifier, so it should not be connected to the preceding phrase with "and ...".

Kudos please if you find helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 11:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap