GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Post MBA options in US now!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 23:09
Hi All,

I would like to know the current situation for a Non-US candidate, thinking of pursuing MBA in US. Would he/she be able to secure a Job post MBA or would he/she have to move back to their Country on completion of the course. Any insights would be appreciated.
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 724
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 04:34
1
msonnie17 wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to know the current situation for a Non-US candidate, thinking of pursuing MBA in US. Would he/she be able to secure a Job post MBA or would he/she have to move back to their Country on completion of the course. Any insights would be appreciated.


This is a big question now-a-days considering the policies which will be updated by TRUMP in the coming future.
Also considering the amount of fees taken by these b-schools, it will be very difficult if one doesn't gets a job.

i am contact with a friend of mine who is doing MBA from RICE University. According to him, though the situation is not as rosy as it was few years back but MBA from good B-school esp. schools ranked under top 30 will surely help you to get a good job at US or even at your own country. So try to score a good GMAT Score.
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Current Student
avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 66
Location: United States
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 07:56
This is really interesting what is the ROI for MBA compared to 2 years ago? Did it change? I am hoping this topic pics up so we can understand the situation in states.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 13:56
shashankism wrote:
msonnie17 wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to know the current situation for a Non-US candidate, thinking of pursuing MBA in US. Would he/she be able to secure a Job post MBA or would he/she have to move back to their Country on completion of the course. Any insights would be appreciated.


This is a big question now-a-days considering the policies which will be updated by TRUMP in the coming future.
Also considering the amount of fees taken by these b-schools, it will be very difficult if one doesn't gets a job.

i am contact with a friend of mine who is doing MBA from RICE University. According to him, though the situation is not as rosy as it was few years back but MBA from good B-school esp. schools ranked under top 30 will surely help you to get a good job at US or even at your own country. So try to score a good GMAT Score.


While it may tempting to say the situation is less certain with Trump, it is not necessarily worse under Trump.

The problem facing MBA students is not getting the job offer, but rather, it is getting the visa. Under the existing visa rules you are competing with fresh graduates and there are too few visas available. The result is that you enter a lottery and you are not guaranteed that visa, and in turn, that job. This has been the main problem facing MBA students.

Recent proposed reforms to introduce a higher minimum wage for the visas might actually remove the competition from fresh undergraduates for these visas and increase the probability you get a visa. This in turn would make employers more willing to extend job offers in the first place.

However, as said these are still 'proposed' reforms.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 02:20
fpatten1509 wrote:
shashankism wrote:
msonnie17 wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to know the current situation for a Non-US candidate, thinking of pursuing MBA in US. Would he/she be able to secure a Job post MBA or would he/she have to move back to their Country on completion of the course. Any insights would be appreciated.


This is a big question now-a-days considering the policies which will be updated by TRUMP in the coming future.
Also considering the amount of fees taken by these b-schools, it will be very difficult if one doesn't gets a job.

i am contact with a friend of mine who is doing MBA from RICE University. According to him, though the situation is not as rosy as it was few years back but MBA from good B-school esp. schools ranked under top 30 will surely help you to get a good job at US or even at your own country. So try to score a good GMAT Score.


While it may tempting to say the situation is less certain with Trump, it is not necessarily worse under Trump.

The problem facing MBA students is not getting the job offer, but rather, it is getting the visa. Under the existing visa rules you are competing with fresh graduates and there are too few visas available. The result is that you enter a lottery and you are not guaranteed that visa, and in turn, that job. This has been the main problem facing MBA students.

Recent proposed reforms to introduce a higher minimum wage for the visas might actually remove the competition from fresh undergraduates for these visas and increase the probability you get a visa. This in turn would make employers more willing to extend job offers in the first place.

However, as said these are still 'proposed' reforms.


Hi fpatten1509,

So, as this sounds comforting to some level, could you please share some insight on news on relevant changes to the prerequisites for the Visa's.
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 724
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 07:31
msonnie17 wrote:

So, as this sounds comforting to some level, could you please share some insight on news on relevant changes to the prerequisites for the Visa's.


Yes it might be comforting to some level as if the undergrad exp. from IT department having a less salary is recruited less at USA and the number of visa issued remaisn same. Surely the guys doing MBA are at advantage

As Trump also said that they want skilled guys and not every guys. So it might turn out to be positive for the guys doing MBA at USA. But lets keep watching what are the actual changes done in near future. Presently focus to get a good GMAT score and try to convert a good school..
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 08:36
@shashankism Hoping for the best and preparation is on for GMAT.
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 724
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 23:47
msonnie17 wrote:
shashankism Hoping for the best and preparation is on for GMAT.


I am also hoping for the best and continuing my preparation full fledged.. Hope we get a good job at US :)
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 49
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 13:57
The VISA's that US companies are offering are very few and far between. The VISAs are currently extremely expensive and many big name companies are no longer pursuing them. You may have a better chance of working for a foreign outsourcing company and coming to the US on assignment as opposed to staying in the US permanently on a VISA.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 21:09
Keepushinalmosthere

Location or Duration is not a concern. Globe is my home, it's just that I want to be a part of MBB (The Big Three) on a salary that gets credited in $'s. 8-) :)
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 724
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 06:45
msonnie17 wrote:
Keepushinalmosthere

Location or Duration is not a concern. Globe is my home, it's just that I want to be a part of MBB (The Big Three) on a salary that gets credited in $'s. 8-) :)


Yes ofcourse in the present scenario location is not an issue.

I liked the "globe is my home" funda.. :) until getting salary in 7 digit figure..

Also, Guys how do you rate Canada as an MBA option w.r.t college and the work visa. Do we get jobs after MBA. What are the packages in the top colleges and which colleges are good if I am targeting 730 + score in GMAT .. Also if some college preferable over US schools ??
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:57
shashankism wrote:
msonnie17 wrote:
Keepushinalmosthere

Location or Duration is not a concern. Globe is my home, it's just that I want to be a part of MBB (The Big Three) on a salary that gets credited in $'s. 8-) :)


Yes of course in the present scenario location is not an issue.

I liked the "globe is my home" funda.. :) until getting a salary in 7 digit figure.

Also, Guys how do you rate Canada as an MBA option w.r.t college and the work visa. Do we get jobs after MBA. What are the packages in the top colleges and which colleges are good if I am targeting 730 + score in GMAT. Also if some college preferable over US schools ??


Hi shashankism,

I am glad you liked my concept of " Globe is my home".
I would like to know your ideology behind choosing your MBA College? What all factors you take into consideration?
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 11:24
1
Hi shashankism satsurfs and fpatten1509

I would like to share a screen shot from a recent chat I had with Scott Alumni of Wharton School. I asked him my Question and he gave a very detailed answer. Hope it helps.
Attachments

File comment: This is the first answer to the Question that I asked in this Original post.
TheUS_MBA_My_Ques.jpg
TheUS_MBA_My_Ques.jpg [ 182.56 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]

File comment: This is the Second answer to the Question which I asked Scott. My Question was regarding rumors about policy change for Foreign students.
TheUS_MBA_My_Ques_2.jpg
TheUS_MBA_My_Ques_2.jpg [ 160.83 KiB | Viewed 810 times ]


_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 13:29
2
I would like to reiterate that it's not getting the job offer that is the difficult bit at present, but rather, it is securing the visa. I think there were 200k+ applications for the standard h1b visa and only 65k available in the last year.

These visas overwhelmingly (70%+) go to entry level jobs in IT outsourcing at salaries of c.60k. If the minimum required salary is raised to 100k or so, it would no longer be feasible for these companies to apply for the visa. This would mean more visas for people doing an MBA (assuming the quota remains unchanged).

In answer to Keepushinalmosthere's comment: these visas cost the company a few thousand, which is peanuts relative to the salary. It isn't the cost of the visas that put small companies off, it is the uncertainty that the visa lottery poses. Put yourself in the companies shoes: you can go through all those hiring costs and then you have to gamble over whether they get the visa at a probability of about 25%! If i was the company i wouldn't bother to be honest.

Rather annoyingly, the media tends to take on a negative view of these reforms when they are actually good for the economy. You should want to have the best people getting these visas, not entry level IT employees. Unfortunately these outsourcing companies, such as Tata, are spending huge amounts of money lobbying to try and stop these reforms. If i was an American i would want serious reform as is being proposed.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 20:42
fpatten1509 wrote:
I would like to reiterate that it's not getting the job offer that is the difficult bit at present, but rather, it is securing the visa. I think there were 200k+ applications for the standard h1b visa and only 65k available in the last year.

These visas overwhelmingly (70%+) go to entry level jobs in IT outsourcing at salaries of c.60k. If the minimum required salary is raised to 100k or so, it would no longer be feasible for these companies to apply for the visa. This would mean more visas for people doing an MBA (assuming the quota remains unchanged).

In answer to Keepushinalmosthere's comment: these visas cost the company a few thousand, which is peanuts relative to the salary. It isn't the cost of the visas that put small companies off, it is the uncertainty that the visa lottery poses. Put yourself in the companies shoes: you can go through all those hiring costs and then you have to gamble over whether they get the visa at a probability of about 25%! If I was the company I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Rather annoyingly, the media tends to take on a negative view of these reforms when they are actually good for the economy. You should want to have the best people getting these visas, not entry level IT employees. Unfortunately, these outsourcing companies, such as Tata, are spending huge amounts of money lobbying to try and stop these reforms. If I was an American I would want serious reform as is being proposed.


So fpatten1509,

I would like some clarity on this. You did mention that "securing the visa", is a difficult task. I agree, referring to the H1B. You took the case of IT outsourcing, to inform on how most of these Visas go in their bucket. However, please correct me if I am wrong, why do I, as a Student require an H1B visa for my MBA degree?

As far I remember, the Visa required for study purpose should be F-1 or M-1. Isn't it? Once, I am in the US on my study visa and later able to secure a job, then, H1B should come into the picture and should be the Employer's responsibility. I hope that made sense to you.

P.S: Where are you from? Just out of Curiosity! :P
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17534
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 22:07
1
While the H1B may be theoretically and officially employer's responsibility, it is YOUR problem.

Many employers just don't want to deal with the visa aspect. Many companies have outright policies against applicants without work authorization.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1560
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 00:00
1
msonnie17 wrote:
Keepushinalmosthere

Location or Duration is not a concern. Globe is my home, it's just that I want to be a part of MBB (The Big Three) on a salary that gets credited in $'s. 8-) :)

I will add my two cents here: the US companies that sponsor visas at bschools have clout and are forces to reckon with. If you go to well ranked business schools and target known companies, you should be in a safe spot.

The uncertainty due to the visa lottery system has always existed, there is nothing new or Trump era about it. I know recent grads who did not qualify for the lottery in their first attempt and it was the 9 month OPT that came to their rescue, until the visa lottery next year You have to take that chance and trust your destiny that it will all work out in your favour.

Sent from my MI 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1560
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 00:18
1
msonnie17 wrote:
fpatten1509 wrote:
I would like to reiterate that it's not getting the job offer that is the difficult bit at present, but rather, it is securing the visa. I think there were 200k+ applications for the standard h1b visa and only 65k available in the last year.

These visas overwhelmingly (70%+) go to entry level jobs in IT outsourcing at salaries of c.60k. If the minimum required salary is raised to 100k or so, it would no longer be feasible for these companies to apply for the visa. This would mean more visas for people doing an MBA (assuming the quota remains unchanged).

In answer to Keepushinalmosthere's comment: these visas cost the company a few thousand, which is peanuts relative to the salary. It isn't the cost of the visas that put small companies off, it is the uncertainty that the visa lottery poses. Put yourself in the companies shoes: you can go through all those hiring costs and then you have to gamble over whether they get the visa at a probability of about 25%! If I was the company I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Rather annoyingly, the media tends to take on a negative view of these reforms when they are actually good for the economy. You should want to have the best people getting these visas, not entry level IT employees. Unfortunately, these outsourcing companies, such as Tata, are spending huge amounts of money lobbying to try and stop these reforms. If I was an American I would want serious reform as is being proposed.


So fpatten1509,

I would like some clarity on this. You did mention that "securing the visa", is a difficult task. I agree, referring to the H1B. You took the case of IT outsourcing, to inform on how most of these Visas go in their bucket. However, please correct me if I am wrong, why do I, as a Student require an H1B visa for my MBA degree?

As far I remember, the Visa required for study purpose should be F-1 or M-1. Isn't it? Once, I am in the US on my study visa and later able to secure a job, then, H1B should come into the picture and should be the Employer's responsibility. I hope that made sense to you.

P.S: Where are you from? Just out of Curiosity! :P

Post MBA job, which requires the H1B visa (that works on the lottery system) is what all this discussion is about.

International applicants take a huge debt and thus a huge risk with the hope they will get a job in US after MBA. Hence having the H1B discussion before applying is very pertinent.



Sent from my MI 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 01:26
Thank you, BB for the upfront answer.
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Post MBA options in US now!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 01:36
@MBADecoder That all makes sense now. Thank you for your input. Thanks all for their inputs too.
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Post MBA options in US now!   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 01:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Post MBA options in US now!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.