Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Conclusionx   Must be Truex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [142]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [23]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [8]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: Meteorite explosions in the Earths atmosphere as large as the one that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Understanding the Passage

Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a twelve-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century.

The statement says that meteorite explosions of a particular size in the Earth’s atmosphere occur about once a century.

Of what size?

As large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia. The explosion had a force of a 12-megaton nuclear blast.

Such large meteorite explosions occur about once a century.

The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

The response of particular systems to unexpected circumstances is not predictable.

Which particular systems are we talking about?

Highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs.

The response of these systems to circumstances that are not expected is not predictable.

What about the response of other systems to unexpected circumstances?

We aren’t given any information.

A mistake many people may make

As we read the second statement (talking about unexpected circumstances) after the first statement (talking about an event that occurs very rarely i.e., once a century), I believe many people will assume that the rare event would be unexpected.

Can we say that?

No.

Rather, it is entirely possible that since we know that this event occurs about once a century, it is an expected event for the system, i.e., the system designers could have already fed this event into the programming of the system.

Understanding the Question Stem

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true, about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?

The question stem says, “if the statements are true”, so the statements in the passage are FACTS for us.

We need to find an option that states a conclusion that can most properly be drawn from the facts in the passage - the conclusion about the kind of system the second statement talks about i.e. a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program.

The Evaluation

(A) Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.

Incorrect. - This option is wrong for two reasons:

We don’t know that the once in a century event is an unexpected event for the system. If it’s an expected event for the system, we have been given no information about how the system would respond to such an event.
We are given that the system reacts in an unpredictable way to unexpected events. We’re not given that the response is “inappropriate”; the response could be entirely appropriate.

(B) The system would be destroyed if an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere.

Incorrect. - We have been given ZERO information about what it takes to destroy such a system.

Some of you may be wondering, “what if the whole Earth is destroyed?”

In such a case, assuming that the system was installed on Earth, we can say that the system will be destroyed.

However, we’re not given that explosion of a large meteorite will destroy the whole Earth. So, we cannot infer this option.

(C) It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite from the explosion of a nuclear weapon.

Incorrect. - This option is popular. My hypothesis is that people who mark this option or consider this option to be a good contender make three mistakes:

• Assume that once in a century event is unexpected for the system
  • Fail to see the difference between the ideas
    • that the response is unpredictable
    • that the system WILL NOT be able to distinguish between two events
  • Assume that the system can only differentiate between explosions based on the quantum of force

We know that the response of the system will be unpredictable in case of unexpected situations. However, “unpredictable” means something that cannot be predicted; the response could very well be very appropriate to the situation, and the system could very well distinguish between the meteorite explosion and the explosion of a nuclear weapon? How can we be sure that the system WILL NOT be able to distinguish between the two explosions? We cannot be.

(D) Whether the system would respond inappropriately to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast.

Incorrect. - This option is wrong for three reasons:

1. We don’t know that the once in a century event is an unexpected event for the system. If it’s an expected event for the system, we have been given no information about how the system would respond to such an event.
    2. We are given that the system reacts in an unpredictable way to unexpected events. We’re not given that the response is “inappropriate”; the response could be entirely appropriate.
    3. We’ve been given no information to suggest that the response of the system or the unexpectedness of the situation depends on the location of the blast.

(E) It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be, if its designers did not plan for such a contingency.

Correct. - “Not certain” means “not predictable”.

The “if” part makes the statement pertain to a situation that is unexpected for the system (the system designers did not plan for such an event -> means that the event is going to be unexpected for the system)

The statement means that one cannot predict the system’s response to the explosion of a large meteorite if the explosion is unexpected for the system.

We can infer this option from the second statement of the passage.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Meteorite explosions in the Earths atmosphere as large as the one that [#permalink]
Though I also selected option E, but I was little confused between C and E. Was option C eliminated due to its comparison with nuclear weapons and which was no where mentioned?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SheilyKamra wrote:
Though I also selected option E, but I was little confused between C and E. Was option C eliminated due to its comparison with nuclear weapons and which was no where mentioned?

Quote:
Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a twelve-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century. The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true, about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?

(A) Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.

(B) The system would be destroyed if an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere.

(C) It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite from the explosion of a nuclear weapon.

(D) Whether the system would respond inappropriately to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast.

(E) It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be, if its designers did not plan for such a contingency.

The passage tells us that meteorite explosions can have the same force as a nuclear blast, but that doesn't necessarily imply that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system to tell the difference between a meteorite explosion and a nuclear blast.

Even though the forces are similar, perhaps there are other differences/factors that the computer program could use to distinguish one type from the other. If choice (C) were, "It might be difficult for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite from the explosion of a nuclear weapon," then (C) would be defensible. However, we do not have enough information to conclude that it would be impossible to tell the difference between these two types of events.

(C) can be eliminated, and (E) is the best answer.
Quote:
Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a twelve-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century.
The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to unexpected circumstances is unpredictable.

MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma
Q:
The underlined part is NOT discussed in the passage. So, are we forcing our-self to assume the underlined (if its designers did not plan for such a contingency) part?
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Asad wrote:
Quote:

MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma
Q:
The underlined part is NOT discussed in the passage. So, are we forcing our-self to assume the underlined (if its designers did not plan for such a contingency) part?

No. We need to take choice (E) as a whole, and the underlined part is part of the sentence. So, we are not assuming that the designers did not plan for such a contingency. Rather we are agreeing that the passage supports the conclusion that, IF the designers of such a system did not plan for the explosion of a large meteorite, it is not certain what the system's response to such an explosion would be.

Thank you sir for your response.
Sir, if you compare color to color part, you will not get the existence of the EXTRA info if its designers did not plan for such a contingency in correct choice E. In draw the conclusion question, we're not allowed to collect info from outside so far I know. So for that reason this thinking makes me confused.
By the by, can we still consider this as legit choice if we remove the underlined part from choice E?
(E) It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Sir, if you compare color to color part, you will not get the existence of the EXTRA info if its designers did not plan for such a contingency in correct choice E. In draw the conclusion question, we're not allowed to collect info from outside so far I know. So for that reason this thinking makes me confused.
By the by, can we still consider this as legit choice if we remove the underlined part from choice E?
(E) It is not certain what the system's response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be.

The part that you underlined is not information. It's a condition.

Regarding your second question, choice (E) is basically OK without the underlined part, though it's probably a bit better with it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
VeritasKarishma, AndrewN could you please help me with a doubt here?

I felt that this part of the argument was not at all relevant in choosing the right option.

This line in itself is the entire argument. The above one was a separate disconnected argument.

Now my doubt is whether there could be two different options , each of which supported one of the arguments above. In such a scenario which one should we have picked? For instance, if there were a different option which said "Meteorite explosions with magnitude similar to that of a 12 megaton nuclear blast, though rare, are capable to destroying forests", in this case which one would have been the correct option in context of the argument? Thanks for your help !
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
aritrar4 wrote:
VeritasKarishma, AndrewN could you please help me with a doubt here?

I felt that this part of the argument was not at all relevant in choosing the right option.

This line in itself is the entire argument. The above one was a separate disconnected argument.

Now my doubt is whether there could be two different options , each of which supported one of the arguments above. In such a scenario which one should we have picked? For instance, if there were a different option which said "Meteorite explosions with magnitude similar to that of a 12 megaton nuclear blast, though rare, are capable to destroying forests", in this case which one would have been the correct option in context of the argument? Thanks for your help !

Hello, aritrar4. The good news is that you will never (and I do not use this word frequently in my posts) be forced to choose between two correct answers. The answer choices are all carefully constructed so that one option stands above the rest. I agree that the background information provided in the first sentence was not brought to bear in answer choice (E), but such a feature is not uncommon within CR passages and answers. To be technically accurate, each of the two lines above is a statement, rather than an argument, just as the question stem informs us. Our goal is to tease out a reasonable conclusion from these two separate statements. Sure, your proposed option would work, as could many others, but then you could expect to see something like (E) replaced by another option that did not logically follow from the passage. That, in a nutshell, is how CR works. If you got this one right, well done.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos