Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: 2 Questions from MGMAT Foundations of Verbal [#permalink]
sweetlyimproved wrote:
Hi, Guys! Thanks for constant advice. I have two questions please:

1. Why in this sentence considered correct by MGMAT? IMO "make" should actually be "makes":

The editor of the newspaper would later make his reputation as a union firebrand

2. Why is this sentence considered correct by MGMAT exercise? IMO we shouldn't have the "that" in this sentence. IMO, when we take out the prepositional phrases (underlined) the sentence becomes: "A company that specializes, to be able to ascertain numerous truths" which sounds awkward, but if we take off "that" it sounds fine IMO: "A company specializes, to be able to ascertain numerous truths"

A company that specializes in the analysis of body language purports, from a one-minute video of a person's speech, to be able to ascertain numerous truths about the person

Best! Thanks on helping with my foundations

Quote:
The editor of the newspaper would later make his reputation as a union firebrand.

"would" is a modal auxiliary verb. You can't use S/ES with the verb if the verb is used after modal auxiliary verb. So, this sentence is perfectly fine. And this one is the soooooo basic thing in grammar. I think, you should brush it properly.

Quote:
A company that specializes in the analysis of body language purports, from a one-minute video of a person's speech, to be able to ascertain numerous truths about the person.

It is so important to remove the unnecessary part(s) to find the core of sentence. GMAC always tries to make you confused by adding some unnecessary things.
So, what is the CORE of this sentence?
A company (that specializes in the analysis of body language) purports(, from a one-minute video of a person's speech,) to be able to ascertain numerous truths about the person.
So, the core is:
A company purports to be able to ascertain numerous truths about the person.
Note: if you want to remove any modifier, you should remove COMMA from both side of the modifier.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts