It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 on Second Attempt - Need Advice, Especially on Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

570 on Second Attempt - Need Advice, Especially on Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 20:04
Hi

I studied for the GMAT last fall (Sept 2016 - Nov 2016) by taking Kaplan courses. It wasn't much help. I just learned some basics and tips/tricks.
I took some time off after the courses ended because work got busy. I hired a private tutor (who has good experience) and started studying again at the end of Feb 2017, took the exam in May 2017 (three months), scored a 570 (Q:47 & V:17). I continued with private tutoring throughout the next few months, just retook it today (End of Aug), and go the same score of 570 (Q:46 & V: 23). I probably wasn't as consistent in the summer because of work and summer breaks.

I am confident in Quant and can bring up the score a bit closer to 50, but Verbal (RC & CR), is what I am struggling with (I do well in SC/grammar). On all my practice CATs, my verbal score fluctuates from low 20s to high 20s. Ever since I started studying in Feb 2017, I have only been using the Official Guide books. I work about 60 hours/week (finance in NYC). I am thinking about taking an unpaid leave from work for 4-8 weeks to study and retake it in November. I was also recommended to try the GRE instead.

Any advice on how to improve my Verbal would be very helpful. Should I take any courses (MGMAT or Veritas)? It would also help to know if GRE is worth a try.

Thanks

Official GMAT Scores
May 2017: 570 (Q:47 & V:17)
Aug 2017: 570 (Q:46 & V: 23)

Recent Practice CATs (OG)
8/26: 610 (Q:44 & V:29)
8/20: 560 (Q:44 & V:24)
8/12: 630 (Q:48 & V:28)
8/05: 610 (Q:47 & V:28)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [1], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 570 on Second Attempt - Need Advice, Especially on Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi cb02,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Given your two Official Scores, it certainly appears that you respond to the GMAT in a fairly consistent way. It's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies - and that's part of why you're 'stuck' at this score level.

You could certainly switch over to the GRE (you can download two practice GREs from www.gre.org - take one and see how you score), but before you make that change, it would help to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 16:01
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cb02,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Given your two Official Scores, it certainly appears that you respond to the GMAT in a fairly consistent way. It's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies - and that's part of why you're 'stuck' at this score level.

You could certainly switch over to the GRE (you can download two practice GREs from http://www.gre.org - take one and see how you score), but before you make that change, it would help to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the details.
My answers are below

1. Goal score: get at least 680. Hopefully break 700
2. Planning to retake it in 3 months. Mid November
3. Planning to apply B School by Jan (Second round of this year)
4. Looking at Mcdonough, Darden, Ross, Anderson, Marshall

I am confident in getting my quant score closer to 50, but its the verbal score that will really increase my overall score.

Thanks

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi cb02,

Raising a 570 to a 680+ will take some considerable effort and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That work will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - so you could potentially achieve that goal in the timeframe that you've described.... IF you are efficient with your studies. That last point is important - for example, you can't simply assume that "your way" of approaching the Quant section will get you to a Q50+ (since it hasn't so far).

Given your work schedule, you won't necessarily have to take unpaid leave to study properly, but you don't have time to 'play around' with your studies at this point. You need the structure of a set Study Plan and you need to focus on honing the necessarily Tactical skills. Much of this will depend on your 'flexibility' as a thinker - if you're not able to change the way that you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT, then you will likely continue to score in the high 500s.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 18:23
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cb02,

Raising a 570 to a 680+ will take some considerable effort and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That work will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - so you could potentially achieve that goal in the timeframe that you've described.... IF you are efficient with your studies. That last point is important - for example, you can't simply assume that "your way" of approaching the Quant section will get you to a Q50+ (since it hasn't so far).

Given your work schedule, you won't necessarily have to take unpaid leave to study properly, but you don't have time to 'play around' with your studies at this point. You need the structure of a set Study Plan and you need to focus on honing the necessarily Tactical skills. Much of this will depend on your 'flexibility' as a thinker - if you're not able to change the way that you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT, then you will likely continue to score in the high 500s.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

From now until early October, I will have about 18 hours per week (8 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends) to study consistently.
Then from early Oct to mid Nov, I will be free everyday. I am planning to take Veritas or MGMAT courses starting in early Sept.
I am looking to take the exam Monday, Nov 20. So I have a little lass than 12 weeks.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 09:07
in my case first test 540 was very sick.My mock scores were around 700 . 670 in gmatprep 1 and 720 in gmatprep2. Second test 640 q50v27 was anxious and nervous during the whole verbal part . Third attempt q49v40 720 finally got what i really deserved. i was able to get 700+ in my mocks with 1 week of studying but anxiousness was my enemy. Don't worry take your time and give a good shot

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 13:13
Hi cb02,

The amount of study time that you've outlined should give you a really good opportunity to continue studying and honing your skills. I think that would find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). With a 'fixed' class schedule, you'll have to be organized about fitting those classes into your weekly routine - but if you can plan far-enough ahead, then you should be fine. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, sample classes, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 17:36
premprabhs111 wrote:
in my case first test 540 was very sick.My mock scores were around 700 . 670 in gmatprep 1 and 720 in gmatprep2. Second test 640 q50v27 was anxious and nervous during the whole verbal part . Third attempt q49v40 720 finally got what i really deserved. i was able to get 700+ in my mocks with 1 week of studying but anxiousness was my enemy. Don't worry take your time and give a good shot

given the marks you were getting for your mocks, retaking the tests makes perfect sense. i also got 680 but for my mocks was getting 700+. have booked to retake the test 2 october. hopefully to get 750+ now :grin:

Kudos if you like my response please

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: 570 on Second Attempt - Need Advice, Especially on Verbal   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 17:36

570 on Second Attempt - Need Advice, Especially on Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap