It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600 after a 650... need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
600 after a 650... need advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 05:00
Hi All,

Writing this with a heavy heart. My third attempt at GMAT got me a score lower than the one before it.

My first attempt landed me with a 580. (August 2015)
- Materials used - Manhattan Guides, SC Grail, CR Grail and other question sources (Grockit, etc.)
- I was landing 600-620's in my mocks and wasn't surprised with the score I got.

In my second attempt, I got a 650. (Q46 V34) (October 2015)
- I dedicated a good 4-5 hours a day for a full 3 months. My scores were 30 points lower than those in my mocks.
- Used Grockit to focus on weaker areas.
- I referred to almost the same material from cover to cover.
- Also went through all the Manhattan Guides.

Third attempt, 620 (Q41 V32) (August 2017)
After taking a 2-month break from work to focus solely on GMAT and my applications I scored a 600 today. Probably the most disheartening result of my life. For this attempt I,
- Critically studied SC Grail, Powerscore CR, Manhattan (All Quant Guides)
- Solved all the questions from Magoosh 3 times (YES, 3 TIMES!) Making a note and revisiting my errors from time to time.
- Purchased the extra question pack on GMAT prep. (Solved, identified mistakes, revisited)
- I scored a consistent 700-720 across my GMAT Prep exams, a 690 in 3 Kaplan tests, similar scores in other free tests (Veritas, Economist, etc.)
- Solved the entire OG 2017 with a thorough review. Also parts of Verbal Review and Quant Review by GMAC.
- Practised 2 full tests 3 and 5 days prior to the exam at the same time the test was scheduled to be on. These were two GMAT Prep tests on which I scored 710 and 720. (Q46 v41)

I have a really good GPA in undergrad and postgrad with almost 5 years of work experience across industries. The only limiting factor currently is my GMAT score. People have told me to not take the exam and go ahead with the 650 score. But I, even after the many failed attempts, feel that I can cross the 700 mark. I wish to go to some top B-Schools and hence do not want an application that lacks any element.

To make it in time for applications I can take exactly one more attempt. A slot in the next 19 days is available that I intend to book. I need to best utilise this time.

Please help me with charting a strategy that helps me best utilise my time at hand. I am open to taking any courses, online or in person. I would, however, prefer a one-on-one tutor. I am living in Mumbai, India.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Last edited by aj42442 on 31 Aug 2017, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: 600 after a 650... need advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 05:08
Hi Buddy, I'm also facing a similar depressing situation. Presently, my mock scores are fluctuating between 580 - 680. I need a one-on-one tutor for GMAT too. I stay in Navi Mumbai. Have used Princeton Review Material & mocks, Manhatten Review Verbal Guides, OG 17. Please let me know when you get tutor as I plan to use next 30-40 days & take my GMAT in Oct 2017 with a target of around 750. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 42

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
@Plan1234@aj42442 . I can help both of you'll i had a 640 in my last exam q50v27 and a 720 in this one with a q49v40. I understand how frustrating it can be. Message me if you'll want help

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 42

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 18

sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 08:30
Hi aj42442,

sorry to hear this but don't get disheartened.
Please try GMAT club Quant tests. These are best test for quant.
I have raised my score to Q 50 using these tests only.

These tests are harder then real gmat so read each explanation for the wrong questions.
good luck

Thanks
71 tough IR questions218-ds-questions-for-practice
awa-ppt-the-best-resource-for-gmat
new-critical-reasoning-super-megathread-updated

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2026 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 17:04
Sorry to hear that you had such a rough test day, aj42442! I suspect that you're on the right track with help from some of the kind members that have already reached out, but you might also want to check this out for some ideas on why your score was lower than your practice tests (and your previous test): https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html

I don't know if any of it will ring a bell for you, but hopefully it will help inspire some useful changes.

Good luck with your studies, and don't give up!!!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2026 [0], given: 462

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 256

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
600 after a 650... need advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 17:26
hi aj42442

Did you order ESR after your last attempt?
It is a great way to analyse where you faltered and
helps to focus in correct direction in limited span.

WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 256

600 after a 650... need advice   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 17:26

600 after a 650... need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap