Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [134]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: ISB '19 IIMA
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63693 [8]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 350 --> 700 Q47 V39 - IR 7 AWA (6?) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations, jkolachi! Holy crap, I didn't really know your whole story until just now. It's been a ton of fun interacting with you here on GMAT Club, but I had no idea that you'd been through so much.

The "750 on my first try!" stories are popular around here, and they're perfectly awesome, but THIS story is the real deal. It's really what this f*#!ing test is all about: getting punched in the mouth -- hard -- and fighting like mad night after night after night to get better. You earned every single point of this the hard way, and I have endless respect for what you've accomplished.

Let us know where you land for business school! You've been a wonderful presence here in this community over the past few months -- keep coming to our verbal chats when you need a laugh. ;)

Keep in touch, and good luck with your applications!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [3]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats! Great to be reading a great success story. A 300/350-point improvement is basically as amazing of an improvement story as it gets.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
congrats on a great score jkolachi. Your hard work has paid off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Congratulations mate. This is like a rags to riches story to savour. Amazing effort!
Best of Luck with your applications now. I hope you get into the schools of your choice ;) Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 260
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome! Congratulations Jkolachi..inspirational debrief.
Warriorguy,Stonecold and you are very helpful,you guys are life savers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: Kelley '21
GMAT 1: 450 Q21 V24
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
First Congrats! Second...THANK YOU sooo much for this! I got a 390 on my first exam and I plan on taking it again. I really needed to see this message today because I have been seriously doubting myself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Congratulations!!

Your debrief is such a motivation . Consistent hard work does pays off.

The part where you have shared how you improved your RC score by reading science books on heavy topics will be helpful for me. Even I am an avid reader but when it comes to RC I usually select the second best answer and do the question wrong. I will now implement your strategy and will work on it. :)

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

These are the books I read. Strange New Worlds this book is a mind blower. You learn about how star dust particles form into planets and eventually into galaxies....

Excerpt from the three books:

Great Essays by Martin Gardner "Biologists have long sought to understand which genes and what kinds of changes in their sequences are responsible for the evolution of morphological diversity. Here, I outline eight principles derived from molecular and evolutionary developmental biology and review recent studies of species divergence that have led to a genetic theory of morphological evolution, which states that (1) form evolves largely by altering the expression of functionally conserved proteins, and (2) such changes largely occur through mutations in the cis-regulatory sequences of pleiotropic developmental regulatory loci and of the target genes within the vast networks they control."

Origin of Species "I have now recapitulated the .. facts and considerations which have thoroughly convinced me that species have been modified, during a long course of descent. This has been effected chiefly through the natural selection of numerous successive, slight, favourable variations; aided in an important manner by the inherited effects of the use and disuse of parts; and in an unimportant manner, that is in relation to adaptive structures, whether past or present, by the direct action of external conditions, and by variations which seem to us in our ignorance to arise spontaneously."

Strange New Worlds " Since faint planets are hard to see next to bright stars, astronomers have had to come up with clever ways to unveil them. The Doppler technique—using spectral line shifts to trace the subtle dance of stars as planets tug on them—has been the most successful in the first fifteen years. But two other methods have also reached maturity—and are paying off handsomely. Both depend on finding chance alignments of celestial objects through brightness changes of stars. The first technique exploits a remarkable property of gravity that Albert Einstein discovered: its ability to bend light, thus to magnify..."

Text this dense forces you to pay attention at a much higher level than you would reading the newspaper. You have no choice but to force yourself to reread and read between the lines to understand the text on paper.... Initially I would lose concentration for 5 seconds and would realize that the text I was reading made absolutely no sense so I would go back and start from the beginning. This helped me break my bad reading habits. I learned to focus on a higher level. I also just constantly asked myself, why is the author saying this? Where is he leading? Why is he taking me through this maze and whats his intention? Often I would realize at the end but after a while I started to pick up on the idea quickly. For example there would be one sentence that would be the main point like "Variations in bigger genera of species tend be larger than smaller genera...." Then there would be 20-30 pages of discussion about Big vs Small genera and at the end the point would be stated that Bigger genera are bigger because they tend to dominate in their natural habitat and have advantages so they consequently they are more common compared with smaller ones...

Same thing with the Strange New worlds book, the author would mention for example discovery of a new technique i.e. the Doppler technique at the beginning of the chapter and then go on and on about how the old technique had accuracy issues and how scientist spend decades after decades trying to create newer more accurate instruments and eventually come back to the Doppler technique and how it allowed scientist to make more accurate estimates which eventually led to the discovery of a certain type of planets...... This trains you to keep focus for long periods of time and not get lost in the details....

2201neha Lnstnbass4 SMD sarbjeetsingh777 hazelnut Good luck with RC!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Congratulations, inspiring debrief. Good luck with applications :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Jkolachi ! Have been hearing about you on the chat . Someone mentioned you got a 700 and everyone was so happy for you :) this is like the one of the most legendary debriefs I have ever read .. and like most of the other folks wanting to crack the f*** out of this exam your story is super inspirational !! I can totally relate to some of the stuff you've mentioned like your experience with RC, and love the fact that you started reading dense material to cope with the difficult passages and increase your accuracy !! Who does that ? Mind blown ! Like GMATNINJA mentioned above this is the real deal ! RESPECT !!!

I'm so glad I'm on Gmat club and to be able to read such an inspirational story ;) fantastic mate ! Good luck with your applications and hope you get the business school of your choice . All the best

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
jkolachi wrote:

These are the books I read. Strange New Worlds this book is a mind blower. You learn about how star dust particles form into planets and eventually into galaxies....

Excerpt from the three books:

Great Essays by Martin Gardner "Biologists have long sought to understand which genes and what kinds of changes in their sequences are responsible for the evolution of morphological diversity. Here, I outline eight principles derived from molecular and evolutionary developmental biology and review recent studies of species divergence that have led to a genetic theory of morphological evolution, which states that (1) form evolves largely by altering the expression of functionally conserved proteins, and (2) such changes largely occur through mutations in the cis-regulatory sequences of pleiotropic developmental regulatory loci and of the target genes within the vast networks they control."

Origin of Species "I have now recapitulated the .. facts and considerations which have thoroughly convinced me that species have been modified, during a long course of descent. This has been effected chiefly through the natural selection of numerous successive, slight, favourable variations; aided in an important manner by the inherited effects of the use and disuse of parts; and in an unimportant manner, that is in relation to adaptive structures, whether past or present, by the direct action of external conditions, and by variations which seem to us in our ignorance to arise spontaneously."

Strange New Worlds " Since faint planets are hard to see next to bright stars, astronomers have had to come up with clever ways to unveil them. The Doppler technique—using spectral line shifts to trace the subtle dance of stars as planets tug on them—has been the most successful in the first fifteen years. But two other methods have also reached maturity—and are paying off handsomely. Both depend on finding chance alignments of celestial objects through brightness changes of stars. The first technique exploits a remarkable property of gravity that Albert Einstein discovered: its ability to bend light, thus to magnify..."

Text this dense forces you to pay attention at a much higher level than you would reading the newspaper. You have no choice but to force yourself to reread and read between the lines to understand the text on paper.... Initially I would lose concentration for 5 seconds and would realize that the text I was reading made absolutely no sense so I would go back and start from the beginning. This helped me break my bad reading habits. I learned to focus on a higher level. I also just constantly asked myself, why is the author saying this? Where is he leading? Why is he taking me through this maze and whats his intention? Often I would realize at the end but after a while I started to pick up on the idea quickly. For example there would be one sentence that would be the main point like "Variations in bigger genera of species tend be larger than smaller genera...." Then there would be 20-30 pages of discussion about Big vs Small genera and at the end the point would be stated that Bigger genera are bigger because they tend to dominate in their natural habitat and have advantages so they consequently they are more common compared with smaller ones...

Same thing with the Strange New worlds book, the author would mention for example discovery of a new technique i.e. the Doppler technique at the beginning of the chapter and then go on and on about how the old technique had accuracy issues and how scientist spend decades after decades trying to create newer more accurate instruments and eventually come back to the Doppler technique and how it allowed scientist to make more accurate estimates which eventually led to the discovery of a certain type of planets...... This trains you to keep focus for long periods of time and not get lost in the details....

2201neha Lnstnbass4 SMD sarbjeetsingh777 hazelnut Good luck with RC!

Thank you so much jkolachi for detailing the books for RC preparation. I think I will start with Great Essays. :)

I get nervous whenever I encounter a RC passage that deals with finance/economy topic. Do you have any book suggestions on this topic too?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [7]
Send PM
Kudos