Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Tablesx         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [73]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [30]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [25]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [20]
Send PM
Re: A company that designs websites primarily for minority-owned businesse [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi anewbeginning,

You bring up a really important point - maybe the people who list 'expand the customer base' are the same people who list 'preserve market share', BUT maybe they're not.

The prompt asks if the conclusion (that LESS than 25% of that first group ALSO is in the second group) is supported. EITHER WAY, it is!

Consider the following data:

26% of 459 Latinos listed "expand their customer base" = 119 people
6% of 459 Latinos listed "preserve market share" = 28 people

IF EVERYONE in the second group was also in the first group, then that would be 28/119 = about 23.5% (and that is the MAXIMUM PERCENT that it could be; if it's a smaller percent, then the conclusion is STILL supported). This relationship exists with EVERY group of people polled; thus, the second point IS SUPPORTED.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [13]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A company that designs websites primarily for minority-owned businesse [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I still dont get how B is supported here..
Experts..@ Bunuel,Karishma..Please guide..

Edit: I will be a bit more specific..How do we know that these are the same ppl who also believed in expanding the share..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jitendra31,

If you scroll up and look at the original screen capture, you'll see that the second statement is actually SUPPORTED, so you must have missed something in your approach/calculations. How did you go about approaching this question?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Rich,

Where in the question it is stated that these 6% are those that also answered 'expand consumer base'. Whereas mathematically your calculations look alright, I was not sure of the logic and hence, the difference.

Hope this explains.

Thanks,
J.I.T
(give kudos if you think I deserve some)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jitendra31,

The information that we need to answer the second statement is in 2 of the rows:

1) 'Expand Customer Base' is the 1st row

2) 'Maintain their current market share' is actually written as 'Preserve Market Share' and is the 6th row.

Sometimes IR questions won't be strict with vocabulary and will use synonyms (re: 'maintain' and 'preserve' mean the same thing). Even if you did not know that those two words mean the same thing though, the words "market share" only show up in one row - the 6th row - so even if you were a little unsure about what data to use, the ONLY row that makes any sense would be the 6th one. From here, the rest of the work is more about the comparison of the percents and not about doing the actual long-winded calculation.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rich,

Read the question b closely. Pay attention to the word "ALSO". Where in the question stem it is mentioned that the two population segments are same. How do you infer that?

I have already stated that your maths is right, but you need to provide us more logic on the complete overlap of two sets. Why the remaining 74% (100%-26%, only for the second column as an example) are not thought of? Why can they not be a part of the 6% population?

Hope this explains.

Thanks,
J.I.T.
(give kudos if you think i deserve some)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jitendra31,

If you add up the percents in each of the columns, you'll see that the total in each is GREATER than 100%, which means that some respondents believe that there are multiple benefits to having a website. Even if you had not noticed that though, the description refers to the survey asking respondents what they see as the potential BENEFITS (meaning possibly plural) of having a website (it does NOT state that each survey respondent selected "just one" of the potential benefits).

Just as in CR questions, the details in IR questions matter a great deal.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Rich,

I am appalled by your lack of sense of understanding logic. I am not interested in continuing this discussion any further. You won!

Thanks,
J.I.T
(give kudos if you think I deserve some)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jitendra31,

If you add up the percents in each of the columns, you'll see that the total in each is GREATER than 100%, which means that some respondents believe that there are multiple benefits to having a website. Even if you had not noticed that though, the description refers to the survey asking respondents what they see as the potential BENEFITS (meaning possibly plural) of having a website (it does NOT state that each survey respondent selected "just one" of the potential benefits).

Just as in CR questions, the details in IR questions matter a great deal.

Rich

Thanks Rich for the explanation. I really cannot understand one thing -

Yes, the respondents marked just more than one benefit on the list, but how do we know that the 25%people (X) were the ones who also said market share 6% (Y) as the benefit. It is very probable that there can be some people in this 25% that said 'improve communication' as one of the benefits.

If you can answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel karishma or Other Experts

Experts,

If you can shed light on C part of the question. How is it not supported ?

The people who say 'Preserve Market Share' probably will be the ones who dread that they will lose market share. So, why can't I infer the same ?

Please if you can take me in the right direction ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Could you help to explain the final part of the question, as I have the same question as Steinbeck: The pepple who responded 'Preserve Market Share' probably will be the ones who dread that they will lose market share (while the others who did not dread that should respond in another way, e.g 'Increase/Expand Market Share' or something like that), so why can't we infer the same? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thank for your response :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi thuyduong91vnu,

The 3rd part of the question would probably be missed by a sizable group of Test Takers. To properly deal with that piece of the question, you have to re-read the introduction (above the table) - it describes how survey respondents were commenting on what they see as the POTENTIAL BENEFITS of having a website. This ENTIRE table is based on what respondents see as possible benefits - the benefits have not happened yet and they might not happen even if the respondents did have a website, but it's what they think might be benefits.

The 3rd part asks about the proportion of respondents who are CONCERNED about losing market share. We don't know ANYTHING about "concerns" though - the table and survey were NOT about that. To take it a step further, if you're going to infer that "preserve market share" is the same as "afraid of losing market share", wouldn't you infer the same thing about those who want to expand their customer base(s)? Wouldn't they dread losing market share too? When you combine those too groups, it's not really a "small proportion" of respondents.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Top Contributor
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Rich,
Hope you are doing good.
I agree with your reasoning quoted below but I am still not able to solve Q2.

Quote:

What I don't understand is how can we be sure that the two mentioned sets overlap. It is possible that the "GREATER" part is adjusted with the overlapping of other sets /captured benefits.
I am sure that I am missing some key points here and will appreciate if you can help me to identify it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JarvisR,

I think it would be easiest if you show me the work that you did when dealing with Question #2. Based on your interpretation of what was asked, what data did you pull from the table? What calculation(s) did you perform?

On any given GMAT question (whether it's IR or some other type), it's okay if you're unsure of how to interpret what is asked. However, you're not allowed to do 'nothing' - you should try working through the prompt with your initial interpretation, then work through it (if needed) with any other interpretation that you might have. Sometimes, the process of going through the work provides you with the exact insight that you need to adjust your thinking and correctly answer the question.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

I have the same question as JarvisR.

Preserve Market Share(PMS) : 28 Respondents
Expand Customer Base (ECB): 30 Respondents

How can we assume 28 Respondents of PMS are in those 30 Respondents of ECB ?
Is there anything i am missing ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Send PM
The question Shrivathsan have is apparently what most of the people here have problem with. In fact everyone is trying to prove why (2) is supported just because the official answer says that (2) is supported.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
tushain wrote:
Please explain question 2 and 3
Source : GMAT Prep

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

It seems that most people do not have any problems with question 1. But I want to make sure my logic is correct on question 1.

In the first column, all the potential benefits that people believe are listed, as well as "other', "no benefit" and "uncertain".

Statement 1: A majority of the respondents believe adding a website could benefit their businesses.

To determine whether the percentage of respondents believe adding a website could benefit their businesses is more than 50%, I need to calculate the percentage of "No benefit" and "Uncertain". For example, 27% and 10% of Latino believe that there no benefit or they are uncertain. Therefore, 63% (more than 50%) believe there are benefits.

Is it correct?

Thx,
Victoria
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts