GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:43) correct 42% (00:56) wrong based on 1870 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence was not so painful, it would have a droll comedic aspect, at least in retrospect.

(A) was not so painful, it
(B) was not so painful, they
(C) were not so painful, they
(D) were not so painful, it
(E) were not so painful, being one
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2013, 00:17
ugimba wrote:
sk88 wrote:
A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence was not so painful, it would have a droll comedic aspect, at least in retrospect.

was not so painful, it

was not so painful, they

were not so painful, they

were not so painful, it

were not so painful, being one

The correct choice is D and the answer explanation says that adolescence is singular (so we use 'it'), but why do we use "were" instead of "was" if it's singular?? What is were referring to anyway?

good question... I too went for A at first glance, but realized that option D is correct. the sentece is talking about past unreal condition. some thing like this ..

if she were studying, she would pass the exam ...

Here is another explanation:

subjunctive mood (indicating a hypothetical state or a state contrary to reality, such as a wish, a desire, or an imaginary situation). It is harder to explain the subjunctive. Five hundred years ago, English had a highly developed subjunctive mood. However, after the fourteenth century, speakers of English used the subjunctive less frequently. Today, the mood has practically vanished; modern speakers tend to use the conditional forms of "could" and "would" to indicate statements contrary to reality. The subjunctive only survives in a few, fossilized examples, so they can be confusing. Here are the most common uses:

1. By far the most common use of the subjunctive is the use of the subjunctive after "if" clauses that state or describe a hypothetical situation.

Subjunctive: "If I were a butterfly, I would have wings."

Note that in the indicative, we normally write, "I was." For instance, "When I was a young boy, I liked to swim." However, to indicate the subjunctive, we write "I were." The subjunctive indicates a statement contrary to fact. In the butterfly example above, I am not really a butterfly, but I am describing a hypothetical situation that might occur if I were one.

Indicative: "When I was a butterfly in a former life, I had wings."
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:24
I think it has to do with the "if" before adolescence.

Adolescence was not so painful

If adolescence were not so painful
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2009, 17:03
sk88 wrote:

was not so painful, it

was not so painful, they

were not so painful, they

were not so painful, it

were not so painful, being one

The correct choice is D and the answer explanation says that adolescence is singular (so we use 'it'), but why do we use "were" instead of "was" if it's singular?? What is were referring to anyway?

good question... I too went for A at first glance, but realized that option D is correct. the sentece is talking about past unreal condition. some thing like this ..

if she were studying, she would pass the exam ...
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98
Re: little SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 12:05
alchemist009 wrote:

A. was not so painful, it
B was not so painful, they
C. were not so painful, they
D. were not so painful, it
E. were not so painful, being one

never judge a SC by its size!!!

For subjunctive mood which is indicated by the conditional "if" always use "WERE" not "WAS". Therefore eliminate A,B

Among C,D,E the subject adolescence is singular so we need a singular pronoun --- eliminate C
E is using being one -- wrong.

Answer is D.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 00:28
A past conditional subjunctive case, where the normal idiomatic usage is simple past in the if clause (if I were, If it were etc,) and a modal future perfect tense in the main clause. Answer choice D is the correct one. Adolescence is the subject of the sub-clause, hence its pronoun is –it-. Choice D is the best answer.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Re: A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 04:02
The meaning of this sentence speaks about a hypothetical scenario. Hence the structure is "If I were ..., I would ...".

a. was not so painful, it
b. was not so painful, they adolescence is singular
c. were not so painful, they adolescence is singular
d. were not so painful, it
e. were not so painful, being one

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2014, 12:39
sk88 wrote:

A) was not so painful, it
B) was not so painful, they
C) were not so painful, they
D) were not so painful, it
E) were not so painful, being one

The question is about subjunctive 'would' . Hence in (A) we need a 'were' instead of 'was'

In (B) and (C), 'they' does not have an antecedent. In (E), being one is incorrect / wordy

D = Correct

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 22:45
sk88 wrote:

Official Explanation

The original contains a verb mood error. “If adolescence was” is improper subjunctive. “Was” should not be used in an “if” clause indicating a hypothetical condition. "If adolescence were” is correct.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice has a verb mood error. “Was” should not be used in an “if” clause indicating a hypothetical condition; “were” would be correct. Also, the plural “they” can not refer to the singular “adolescence.”

(C) This choice correctly employs the subjunctive mood by stating “if adolescence were.” However, the plural “they” can not refer to the singular “adolescence.”

(D) CORRECT. The “if” clause properly uses the subjunctive mood, “if adolescence were.” The singular “it” refers to the singular “adolescence.

(E) This choice correctly employs the subjunctive mood by stating “if adolescence were.” However, “being one” is wordy and awkward; using “it” is preferable. “Being” is virtually always wordy and incorrect.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 04:00
On a side note: Manhattan Prep has this question listed under 700-800 category
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 09:36
pra1785 wrote:
On a side note: Manhattan Prep has this question listed under 700-800 category

Very much possible...because there is a difference in attempting a question in an exam environment and as a discrete problem.

That's one of the potential reason why you would find many official questions categorized as "low" in gmatclub, yet they are presented in the last set in OG.

Cheers !! :-)

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 20:53

daagh wrote:
A past conditional subjunctive case, where the normal idiomatic usage is simple past in the if clause (if I were, If it were etc,) and a modal future perfect tense in the main clause. Answer choice D is the correct one. Adolescence is the subject of the sub-clause, hence its pronoun is –it-. Choice D is the best answer.

Sir daagh,

Is it impossible for adolescence to be not painful ???

if we use "were" it means that it is impossible situation. Hypothetically we are assuming the situation of adolescence not being painful and interpreting the Then clause.

If its possible for adolescence to be not painful. Then we need to use simple past to show that if it was not painful , it would .....

Can you please clarify where am going wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:41
HI Experts , pls help me understand why A is incorrect choice here ?

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:42
Still unsure why A is the wrong option here , Can someone help me understand the same ?

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 22:42

A recent and popular self-help book wryly notes that if adolescence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap