GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jul 2015, 00:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:51) correct 32% (02:03) wrong based on 1523 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

From OG 2016 (question 86 DS)

I get why 1 works, but the main qualm I have about 2 is how we can be sure that the 4 feet resulting from the square is a diameter of the circle ie. how we know that it fills the tank exactly up to halfway.

Originally posted by iamschnaider on 23 Jul 2015, 20:04.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Jul 2015, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 05:33
sadikabid27 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma could you please give a clearer and easier approach to this problem? Thanks :)

It is a DS question so some imagination can give us the answer without solving at all. This is what the cylinder looks like:
Attachment:
DS2.jpeg
DS2.jpeg [ 14.41 KiB | Viewed 14037 times ]

The question stem tells us that Height = 2 and Length = 6.

Stmnt 1: Diameter = 4

This means the tank is half full. We can find the total volume of the tank using the formula of volume of a cylinder and divide it by 2. We will get the volume of gasoline. Sufficient alone.

Stmnt 2: The area of the rectangle is 24.
We know that the Length is 6 so the other side of the rectangle (as visible in the pic) would be 4. Now imagine this: I have a horizontal line of length 4. If I draw a line from its centre of length 2, I will get a defined arc (which we see is a semi circle but that is irrelevant anyway since it is a DS question).

Attachment:
DS1.jpeg
DS1.jpeg [ 7.62 KiB | Viewed 14022 times ]

If there is only one way in which we can make the arc, it means it has defined dimensions and hence the area of this segment can be calculated. Hence the volume of gasoline will be area of this segment * Length of the cylinder.
Sufficient alone.

Answer (D)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Math Expert
V
Re: A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 06:30
reto wrote:
iamschnaider wrote:
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

I get why 1 works, but the main qualm I have about 2 is how we can be sure that the 4 feet resulting from the square is a diameter of the circle ie. how we know that it fills the tank exactly up to halfway.

Could someone draw this for Statement 2? I don't get it... :(

Hi reto
here it is
Attachments

New Microsoft Office Word Document (4).docx [11.53 KiB]
Downloaded 1979 times

To download please login or register as a user

S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 06:47
reto wrote:
iamschnaider wrote:

reto, see the attached picture.

The trick with statement 2 is that H = 0 when you calculate the value of H from the 2 equations:

\(H^2 + 2^2 = R^2\)

and

R = 2+H , you get H =0

This means that the depth of the gasoline in the cylinder = radius of the cylinder.

Thus, it is sufficient to answer the question.

FYI, we need to know about the radius as without the depth of gasoline = radius of the cylinder, it will be difficult to calculate the volume of the gasoline in the tank.

Hope this helps.
Attachments

GASOLINE CYLINDER.jpg
GASOLINE CYLINDER.jpg [ 30.15 KiB | Viewed 37106 times ]

General Discussion
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 21:17
iamschnaider wrote:

1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

Hi,
i agree with you however we still can find the answer ..
we can find the chord/diameter of the circular end as 4..
now we have depth as 2, length as 6 and width as 4 but the volume will vary depending on what the dia would be..
there could be two scenarios..
1) where the center is below the chord... that is greater than 2\(\sqrt{3}\)..
eq becomes \(2^2+(2\sqrt{3}+r)^2=r^2\)
r comes out negative so not possible.
2) where the center is above the chord... that is greater than 2\(\sqrt{3}\).. r can be found so suff..
eq becomes \(2^2+(2\sqrt{3}-r)^2=r^2\)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 21:57
chetan2u wrote:
iamschnaider wrote:

1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

Hi,
i agree with you ..
we can find the chord/diameter of the circular end as 4..
now we have depth as 2, length as 6 and width as 4 but the volume will vary depending on what the dia would be..
dia could be anything equal to or greater than 4....
so stat II should not be suff...

Hi, Just check this out....
The line joining the center to the point where the tank rests on the ground would be dividing the chord ( whose lenth is 24 / 6 = 4 ) equally and hence we can write two equations. Say x is the distance between center and chord then, x + 2 = radius ( r), and also r^2 = x ^2 + 2 ^2... so we can find the radius using the two equations and hence..statement II is also suffficient...
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 05:37
iamschnaider wrote:

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 03:10
Wait, I don't understand how you need any more information at all. Given,that the length of the cylinder is 6ft and height of the water is 2, won't the water take the shape of half of a cylinder with radius 2 ? After that you don't need any more information regarding the volume of water, right ?
CEO
CEO
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 04:42
hb4100 wrote:
Wait, I don't understand how you need any more information at all. Given,that the length of the cylinder is 6ft and height of the water is 2, won't the water take the shape of half of a cylinder with radius 2 ? After that you don't need any more information regarding the volume of water, right ?

You need to know the radius of the cylinder and how the radius stacks up against the depth of the water in the cylinder. Without this information, you will not know if the statements are sufficient or not.

Take a look at: a-tank-is-filled-with-gasoline-to-a-depth-of-exactly-2-feet-the-tank-202262.html#p1553082

Your statement is correct if a statement tells you the radius = height of the water but if radius \(\neq\) height of the water, you will not be able to apply any volume formulae.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 07:17
abhimahna wrote:
Looking at the question, do we still think its of 600-700 level?

Also, what could be the quickest way to solve such questions?

Quickest way to do this is to realize that depth cant be equal to half the side-surface length unless side-surface length is diameter of the circular side of the tanker. Anywhere else
the depth will smaller than half of side-surface length. Since st2 gives us enough info to calculate side surface length as 4 and we can see half of it i.e. 2 is equal to the depth we know that 2 is the radius and thus can calculate the volume. SUF

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 00:27
For statement 1 why does the OG Answer Explanation assume that the volume of the gasoline is half the volume of the cylinder? I would have thought the volume of the gasoline is 8π, not 12π. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on what I'm missing.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 00:33
nycsfmba wrote:
For statement 1 why does the OG Answer Explanation assume that the volume of the gasoline is half the volume of the cylinder? I would have thought the volume of the gasoline is 8π, not 12π. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on what I'm missing.

Hi,
the Q stem tells us the folloeinf info..
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet...
the statement one tells us that the dia is 4 feet..

so when you join the two information, we can say that the cylinder is half filled
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 00:48
nycsfmba wrote:

It is not assumed but rather a deduction from the given question statement and statement 1. Question statement mentions that the water is till a depth of 2 feet while statement 1 mentions that the diameter of the cylinder is 4 feet (or the radius is 2 feet). Thus the cylinder is filled half with water.

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 10:28
I think this question is worded very poorly but it is actually very easy when you understand what it is asking. Volume = pi*r^2*h...... We know h=6.

Statement 1 gives us d = 4 or r = 2. Since the gasoline is also filled up to r =2, the volume of the gasoline is 1/2 of the volume of the container so it's sufficient.

Statement 2 - if you are seeing through the container from up above, the surface of the water will form a 2-d rectangle. Since we know the length of the rectangle is 6 (i.e. the height), the width of the rectangle (i.e. the diameter) must be 4. So again we know that d = 4 or r = 2 like in statement 1. Sufficient.

D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 450 Q27 V21
GPA: 3.47
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 21:16
iamschnaider wrote:

1) radius =2
Volume= \(\pi * r^2 * h\)
\(\pi * 4*6\)
\(24\pi\) Sufficient
2) area = L * W = 24
12 * 2= 24
6 * 4= 24 since the length is 6 as given in the question so pick this
we know the area and radius so it's sufficient to find the height.
4) Veritas 460 Q31, V23
5) Veritas 440 Q 30, V21
6) Veritas 500 Q34, V 25
7) Gmat 420 Q27, V23
8) Veritas 520 Q36, V26 2/2
9) Veritas 540 Q37, V28 4/19
10)Manhattan 560 Q40, V28 4/28
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.74
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 18:13
Anytime you have the height of a liquid and the chord that it's surface makes, we can find the radius. In this case, if you understand that statement two gives us a chord, you can confirm it's the radius by using this formula:

(1/2*chord)(1/2*chord) = (height of liquid)(distance from surface to top of cylinder)

In this case 2*2=2*(distance from surface to the top of the cylinder) and we see that the distance from the surface of the gasoline to the top of the cylinder is 2, making the surface of the gasoline right in the middle of the cylinder.

So if the chord were length of 4 and the height of the liquid were 1, you could still use that formula to find the radius of 2.5. I'm not sure what you would do with it, but it's easy to get at should you find it necessary on test day.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 02:19
Volume is a 3D thing .
The question itself gives the value of 2 of 3 Dimensions,
and statement 1 and 2 gives 3rd dimension in two different ways so either statement is sufficient .
This is the beauty of DS questions you don't need to find the answers you just need to feel whether you can find it or not.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 04:02
I am not clear why statement 2 needs a bigger explanation. We find that the rectangle is of the dimension 6*4.
When viewed from the top the width of the rectangle will be equal to the diameter of the base of the cylinder. Why are the other calculations needed?
Please clarify
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 10:05
Hello everyone

Could someone explain to me why statement II is sufficient? If we look at the cut that the rectangle is doing on the cylinder it could happen either under the centre or above it. In both cases it'll respect the premises but have completely different volumes of gasoline in it....

I'm really scratching my head with this!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 21:19
bpegenaute wrote:
Hello everyone

Could someone explain to me why statement II is sufficient? If we look at the cut that the rectangle is doing on the cylinder it could happen either under the centre or above it. In both cases it'll respect the premises but have completely different volumes of gasoline in it....

I'm really scratching my head with this!

No. It will be at the centre only. Note that the height is 2 and diameter is 4 which means the radius is 2. Hence it will be a semi circle only.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2018, 21:19

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap