It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 118

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 02:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:10) correct 37% (01:08) wrong based on 484 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic radicchio. A 5-for-the-price-of-4 sale was successful in increasing sales of her organic peach marmalade, so the vendor decides to offer the same deal on the radicchio.

Which of the following is an assumption on which her plan depends?

(A) Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade

(B) Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days.

(C) Radicchio is currently in season.

(D) Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio.

(E) The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 21 Oct 2017, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 118

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 03:02
A. Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade : consumer's enjoyment is a subjective term, even if consumers enjoy it as much, it doesnt mean that the same sale would work since many other factors other than enjoyment (price per bottle for one) will determine decision to purchase or not.

b. Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days. : Correct option- 5 for price of 4 could work for marmalade because they could store it for an year. If the shelf life of radicchio is large, consumers will not want to go in for an offer which gives them a discount if they buy a larger number. ( 5 for price of 4)

c. Radicchio is currently in season. : That has no relationship to the probability of the scheme being effective

d. Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio. : Since taste is not what the vendor is basing his scheme on, but selling larger numbers, this is irrelevant.

e. The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4.: Sales are being talked of here, not profit!

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 12:59
vivesomnium wrote:
A. Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade : consumer's enjoyment is a subjective term, even if consumers enjoy it as much, it doesnt mean that the same sale would work since many other factors other than enjoyment (price per bottle for one) will determine decision to purchase or not.

b. Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days. : Correct option- 5 for price of 4 could work for marmalade because they could store it for an year. If the shelf life of radicchio is large, consumers will not want to go in for an offer which gives them a discount if they buy a larger number. ( 5 for price of 4)

c. Radicchio is currently in season. : That has no relationship to the probability of the scheme being effective

d. Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio. : Since taste is not what the vendor is basing his scheme on, but selling larger numbers, this is irrelevant.

e. The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4.: Sales are being talked of here, not profit!

this is how I thought:
I could eliminate C, D, and E. same reasons as given by vivesomnium. Next I eliminated B, thinking that we don't have any clue about shelf life based on the stimulus and becomes irrelevant. And then thought that radicchio could be sold well enough as marmalade based on A. when Consumers enjoy something, that would bring the sales anyway.

Now, coming to vivesomnium explanation:
Based on the reasoning given by vivesomnium for A, if it is true that enjoying something isn't enough for buying it, then it is also true that willingness on something isn't enough for buying it. we have more factors to buys something... So, I am kinda of not fully satisfied with this.

So, can I request for more promising explanation?

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 15:03
I too think it is A. Not able to understand the reasoning for B.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 115

Manager
Manager

GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 13:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IEsailor wrote:
B

I guess we all looking for the explanation here to clear the debate between A and B.

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 4

Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 13:40
A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic radicchio. A 5-for-the-price-of-4 sale was successful in increasing sales of her organic peach marmalade, so the vendor decides to offer the same deal on the radicchio.

a. Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade ( Good assumption but maybe not good enuf. Shelf life, Price etc are objective variants and hence better than a more subjective explanation of Enjoyment )

b. Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days. ( Most "Objective explanation".)

c. Radicchio is currently in season. ( Irrelevant as no season mentioned for Peach )

d. Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio. ( Definately not an assumption !!! as no talk of competition for Radicchio )

e. The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4. ( Number game not wanted. Profits not object of consideration but success of his deal )

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 14:01
I had marked A as the answer too.

While i understand the reasoning behind B, I dont think Shelf life is a necessary assumption for the conclusion in the question. Mabe the size of radicchio in stock is small. Thus 5 of them might not be a whole lot. The deal might also be successful by attracting a lot of customers who have a large family. We have no information about the average consumption rate of radicchio/marmalade of the people who shop in that store. Per the LSAT CR bible, in an assumption question, negating the answer choice should attack the argument. For B, if we say customers will not like to buy large quantities of radicchio because of shelf life it still leaves other possible reasons for buying it such as large families, smaller size etc. However, A seems slightly better because on negating A we get that customers dont like radicchio as much as marmalade. This would be a clear reason for not buying as much radicchio no matter how good the deal is.

IMO, overall its not a very well made question.

Last edited by dreambeliever on 18 Mar 2011, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 7

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 18:52
the "correct" assumptions tells about the marmelade consumers...so what?
I don't think it's a good question for practice.
even if the guys who bought A will not buy B, it doesnt mean that the plan will not succeed.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 04:45
Need more clarity on B please. I selected A with the same reasoning as the one listed above.

@e-gmat or verbal experts?

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 140

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 15:18
warriorguy wrote:
Need more clarity on B please. I selected A with the same reasoning as the one listed above.

@e-gmat or verbal experts?

Assumption type questions are must be true type. Suppose that consumers enjoy radicchio NOT as much as (BUT slightly less than) they enjoy peach marmalade. Even in this case the sale is expected to be successful. Negating statement A does not break down the argument. Hence A is not the correct option.

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 09:08
Notes:
Far -> ↑Rac Sale [P = R-C]
Prev peac offr succ (+)
same offr for Rac (c) [strat. apply?]

Option A & B - good choices, keep for now
B,C -> does not talk about how that will incr. sales. Wrong choices
E - > [P =R-C] reminded me that sales and profit is not same thing. eliminate choice

A & B -> only B has better reasoning that diff. in Rac and Peach shelf life does not change consumer pref.

Ans B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 19:10
A student sent me this question today asking for an explanation, and in little more than a glance I was able to reply with the following:

"I suspect the creators of this question would say that the answer is B (?), but frankly I would ignore this question entirely. It’s not a credible example of how assumptions work or are tested—assumption answer choices are required by the argument, so they must be true in order for the argument to even be possible; B clearly fails that test (as do the rest of these answers) so there are no assumptions even listed as options—so I’d chalk this one up to poor design on the part of whomever wrote it. You won’t see a flawed construction like this on the actual test.

Sidenote: I find it really disappointing when I see content from companies/people that isn’t created to the same standards as the test itself, so I’m really sorry that you were left struggling with a question here that should’ve never been distributed to the public in the first place. This is one of the poorer attempts at simulation I’ve encountered, in fact, which is frustrating I’m sure, but at least take comfort in the fact that you were stumped by an unanswerable mess rather than a legitimate GMAT question."

So for anyone out there attempting this question and feeling similarly stuck, take heart. It's not your fault. This question is terrible.

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 19:43
B is much better than A because B directly links with the purchase, or sales

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 21:12
chesstitans wrote:
B is much better than A because B directly links with the purchase, or sales

Keep in mind though that with certain types of questions (Assumption and Must Be True chief among them) the test doesn't concern itself with relative attractiveness/correctness in the answers. An assumption is a hardline, testable component of an argument, in the sense that it is both required by the author's belief (which no answers here are) as well as proven by it (again, not a single answer comes close).

If an answer doesn't meet that standard of right, then it's wrong. "More or less correct" may apply to types like Weaken or Strengthen, where on rare occasions you'll have two answers with the desired effect and you must decide which is more impactful (weakens or strengthens more), but Assumption questions are far more black and white.

Again guys this is just a lousy question.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 154

Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:49
nikhilsrl wrote:

a. Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade

b. Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days.

c. Radicchio is currently in season.

d. Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio.

e. The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4.

OA provided.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why not A?

Stumped. Marked A .B was talking about large quantities and shelf life. While the question revolved whether the strategy for selling marmalade will be successful for radicchio.

Believe you can and you are halfway there-Theodore Roosevelt

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 154

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 07:30
I marked the answer choice A too, and immediately realised my mistake. Option A is a trap.
No one eats 5 bottles of marmalade in a span of some days. Obviously, 5 bottles are meant to to be stored for some time. Therefore, shelf life plays an important role in picking the correct assumption.
Had option B not been one of the answer choices, option A would have been the best pick, I opine.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1304 [0], given: 434

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 07:53
nikhilsrl wrote:

(A) Consumers enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade

(B) Consumers who are willing to purchase large quantities of marmalade, which has a shelf life of one year, will be similarly willing to purchase large quantities of radicchio, which has a shelf life of 5-10 days.

(C) Radicchio is currently in season.

(D) Due to the secret recipe used for the vendor’s peach marmalade, the vendor has fewer competitors selling a comparable peach marmalade at the farmers’ market than selling radicchio.

(E) The profit from selling 5 bunches of radicchio for the price of 4 will be greater than the profit from selling 5 jars of peach marmalade for the price of 4.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This question asks us to find the assumption that, if true, would best support the vendor’s conclusion that a 5-for-4 sale will increase sales of radicchio.

Keep in mind that the conclusion is simply that this special offer will cause sales to increasethe conclusion says nothing about profitability, or about any specific increase in sales that would be needed for success.

A. It likely goes without saying that most people don’t enjoy radicchio as much as they enjoy peach marmalade. Does that mean that offering a good deal on radicchio won’t sell more radicchio? Not at all. There is no burden to sell as much radicchio as marmalade – just to sell more radicchio than is currently being sold.

B. The vendor makes the assumption that a type of sale that works for marmalade will work for radicchio. Consumers may be willing to purchase large amounts of marmalade because marmalade does not readily spoil, and makes sense to stock up on. The same type of sale may be unsuccessful for a product that must be used in a much shorter period of time. B is the correct answer.

C. This is not an assumption upon which the vendor’s argument depends, because it is given in the scenario that she has radicchio to sell – hence, the 5-for-4 special.

D. This fact weighs against the success of the vendor’s radicchio sale, and, as such, is not an assumption upon which her argument depends.

E. The vendor’s conclusion is simply that her plan will increase sales. Do not confuse profitability with sales. It is not necessary to assume anything about profitability to support the conclusion that a particular measure will increase sales.

The answer is B.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1304 [0], given: 434

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 10:19
i think 'sales' is the key word here in the conclusion.

so we need to select an answer choice which talks about sales or quantity.

hence option B is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Re: A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 10:19

A vendor at a farmers’ market wishes to increase sales of her organic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap