GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Mar 2018, 13:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (00:43) correct 44% (00:52) wrong based on 1093 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

GMAT Paper Test (Test Code 28), 1995

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 10
Page: 24

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition, 2009

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 98
Page: 264

Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns
(E) for any previous campaign

Originally posted by AugiTh on 03 Jul 2007, 13:52.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 27 Mar 2018, 13:02, edited 9 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 02:03
umeshpatil wrote:
Hello eGMAT,

Nice explanation in the video. I bit more elaboration on the preposition 'in Vs for'. Can you provide couple of more examples that shows correct usage of both 'in' and 'for' ?

Hi umeshpatil,
Thank you for the post. :-)

Let’s first discuss try to understand the usage of ‘in’ and ‘for’ with a few simple examples:
Tom lives in Delhi. (Place)
Ron completed his graduation in 2008. (Point of time)

He will leave for London tonight. (Purpose)
She loves her job, for it is challenging. (Reason)
I have been preparing for GMAT for the last 6 months. (Time duration)

Let’s now discuss an official question to make your understanding more clear regarding the usage of the prepositions ‘in’ and ‘for’.

OFFICIAL QUESTION

• Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

A. good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in
B. good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for
C. of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
D. of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured
E. of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for

SENTENCE STRUCTURE
• Along the major rivers
o that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India,
• the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions
o that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

MEANING ANALYSIS
• This sentence tells us about the area along the major rivers that flow through the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India.
• It says that in this area the combination of reliable water supply and good growing conditions promoted farming traditions.
o In some places, these farming traditions have endured over the last 6,000 years.

ERROR ANALYSIS
There are three errors in the given sentence.
1) Verb tense: ‘endure’ does not represent the longevity of the farming traditions. The farming traditions have been in existence for 6,000 years. This can’t be represented using the simple present tense.

2) Idiom: ‘in at least 6,000 years’ is incorrect idiomatic usage in this context. Let’s consider two examples:
I started working at e-GMAT in 2012. (To refer to a point of time)
I have worked at e-GMAT for 2 years. (To show a time duration)

3) Redundancy: In this sentence, ‘both’ is redundant since the word ‘combination’ conveys the intended meaning.

Let’s now analyze the correct option, i.e. option B.
OPTION B

• Along the major rivers
o that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India,
• the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions
o that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

In this option, both ‘in’ and ‘for’ are correctly used.

Hope the above discussion helps! :-)

Regards,

Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
9 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2007, 20:37
AugiTh wrote:
(A) they had in their previous campaigns - Plural pronoun they is incorrect
(B) their previous campaigns had had - same pronoun error as A
(C) they had for any previous campaign - same pronoun error as A
(D) in their previous campaigns - same pronoun error as A
(E) for any previous campaign - Correct

Please explain your ans!!!

key here 'army' is singular subject
'it had' correctly specifies this.

so only E is the correct answer choice.
General Discussion
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:10
This is the modified version of the OG topic, given below.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

The correct answer for the above original version is E, which is indisputable, because it is OG’s OA.

In the new version all the plural pronouns have been changed to singular pronouns. But still the OG’s correct answer namely E remains, since both choices are verbatim the same. The other choices are null and void, since no GMAT questions will have two correct answers.

But to go deep into the topic, this is a question of comparisons. More supplies are being compared with the army in A and C, campaigns in B. The comparison should be from campaign to campaign. It cannot be between the Russian campaign on one hand and all the campaigns put together on the other hand. This is like saying Simla apple has more nutrients than in other apples, an unequal comparison.So, D is gone. This leaves us with E, where campaign to campaign is compared.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 08:24
Hi there,

Let’s stick to the official question that reads:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Error Analysis:

1. Plural pronoun “they” does not agree in number with singular “army”.
2. This sentence compares “supplies” with “army”. This is not logical.

PoE:

(A) they had in their previous campaigns: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) their previous campaigns had had: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the pronoun error of choice A.
2. “supplies” has been compared with “their previous campaigns”.

(C) they had for any previous campaign: Incorrect. Repeats all the errors of choice A.

(D) in their previous campaigns: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “their” does not agree in number with singular “army”.

(E) for any previous campaign: Correct. The structure here is: …far more supplies than (supplies) for any previous campaign…

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2014, 02:35
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Army is a collective noun thus its referent has to be singular.
Same error here
Same error here
Same error here
Looking good.

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 12:50
Basically every option that includes plural is wrong because "Army" is a collective noun so it is singular.
In "D." their has no antecedent .

Option "E" is perfectly correct and is parallel as it uses "for ...."

Hope it is clear ;)
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 19:57
abid1986 wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

Army is singular so eliminate a,b,c.Why is the answer e?Is'nt "d " better?

what is the usage of For over here ?
OG Says. "In the context of supplies for a campaign, the preposition for is preferable to the preposition in"
Please explain in detail with few examples .

Dear Abid,

Thank you for your query. :)

We can surely discuss the use of "for" in the correct sentence. However, before we do so, I would like to request you to kindly me send your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence. If, while solving the question, you marked some other choice as the correct answer, then I would like to request you to kindly post your analysis of that choice as well. Your analyses will provide me with an opportunity to understand your thought process and guide the discussion accordingly. Hope you'll appreciate the same.

Also, I would like to recommend that you go through the full-length video solution to this question. It is available on our blog here:https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?cat=45&paged=4

:)

Thanks,

Neeti.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 22:05
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Deepak. (+1 kudo)

'for' used in Napoleon's example shows reason ( for any previous campaign)
'for' used in OG example given by you shows time duration (for at least 6,000 years)

I understand constraints of getting OG questions with expected intent.
My question was regarding usage of 'for' to explain reason. The below example given by you is one what I wanted..

She loves her job, for it is challenging. (Reason)

Usage such as above is less seen in Indian English. We usually tend to express idea using conjunctions - because, as, hence, so.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 20:42
this question has pronoun errors :-

Here subject is "Nepoleon's army"-singular entered in Russia for more supplies than "Nepoleon's army" had in their previous campaigns

Bold part can be be replaced by only plural pronouns so a,b,c and d wrong straight away

Also if you look at D idiom is "supply for" not "supply in" So E is better

Hope that helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 00:20
prabhakarsharma wrote:

Am confused between A-D and E. In option A-E the pronouns they , their are referring to outdoor club, which should not be plural as its a group. Also if we go with meaning the sentence is talking about the club as a whole and not about its members. thus plural pronoun should not be used .

Because of this only E manages to stay afloat.

Any thoughts ?

Dear Prabhakar Sharma,

The catch in the question is Outdoor Club this has to be singular, thus they / their will lead to wrong answer choices. This would smoothly glide you to answer choice "e", which is the better of the five.

When we look at a group / team, we always consider it singular, unless the meaning states that the group members were doing / performing different actions.

Take this for example

1. Indian Team IS the favorite for 2015 World Cup.
2. Indian Team IS playing well.

In the above two sentences, the team is singular since all the team members are aligned to to the same thing.

Hope this helps you.. :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 03:49
Hi

Thanks for a useful discussion here.

I understand how POE helps to get the right answer here [E]. However, I am a bit confused with the comparison here.

Are we comparing supplies that the army use when entered Russia with the support for any previous campaign?

If so, why can we omit the supplies in the correct answer "for any previous campaign"?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 02:52
Quote:
Are we comparing supplies that the army use when entered Russia with the support for any previous campaign?

Do you mean "supplies" (because I don't see "support" in the sentence).

Quote:
If so, why can we omit the supplies in the correct answer "for any previous campaign"?

That's called "ellipsis" and is quite common. For example: The orchard produced more mangoes than ever before:).
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 12:38
Hi Experts,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I have a comparison question for choice D:

If I re-write choice D as (pronoun issue fixed):
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Would this be correct? Based on my understanding we can infer choice D as follows:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies it had) in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

I am trying to understand if there is any other error in D apart from the pronoun issue.

Thanks for your help!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 13:26
yt770 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I have a comparison question for choice D:

If I re-write choice D as (pronoun issue fixed):
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Would this be correct? Based on my understanding we can infer choice D as follows:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies it had) in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

I am trying to understand if there is any other error in D apart from the pronoun issue.

Thanks for your help!

I could be wrong, but I don't have a problem with your revised version of the sentence. I suppose we could argue that the "for its previous campaigns" would be a little bit more direct: "supplies for its previous campaigns" seems cleaner than "supplies [it had] in its previous campaigns," but I don't think that your version is explicitly wrong. And it's hard for me to imagine that another official question would torture you over the difference between "for its previous campaigns" and "in its previous campaigns."

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 07:50
Hi eGmat Team,

Could you explain why "It" in question stimulus can not refer to Russia.
In my opinion sentences make sense.

Russia had provisions for only twenty-four days.
Army had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Regards,
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 05:55
ammuseeru wrote:

Hi eGmat Team,

Could you explain why "It" in question stimulus can not refer to Russia.
In my opinion sentences make sense.

Russia had provisions for only twenty-four days.
Army had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Regards,

If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, of which one is the subject of another clause in the sentence, then by virtue of parallelsim the subject pronoun would unambigously refer to the subject antecedent.

Here you would observe that "it" and "army" are both subjects ("Russia" is not a subject), and hence "it" must refer to "army".
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 06:00
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

A quick question here for something in the non-underlined part

it refers to napoleon's army - This is incorrect - right?

A possessive noun can be referred to a possessive pronoun. Hence the word should be it's army / his army

I am not questioning GMAC here but rather trying to clear my concept. Thanks

The pronoun "it" refers to "army" - None of them are possessive (both are subjects). Hence there is no issue of possessive-non-possessive mix.

"Nepoleon's" is a possessive noun, but there is no pronoun used in the sentence for this possessive noun, and hence the issue of possesive pronoun does not arise.
Re: Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 06:00

Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap