GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Dec 2018, 11:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:02) correct 58% (01:51) wrong based on 398 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike the rushing waters of the river where it goes through the gorge.

A. Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike
B. As rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier, and therefore it is unlike
C. Where rocks are protruding into the river at Lepenski Vir, resulting in whirling water making seeing fish easier, unlike
D. Where rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is resulting whirling water, and it makes seeing fish easier, which is unlike
E. Rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, causing whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, as opposed to

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

5-STARS RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 12 Dec 2018, 10:50.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 12 Dec 2018, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
D
Re: Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 11:40
Shreshtha55 wrote:
Why not e ? I assumed that answer was A but what is wrong in e ? Opposed to?

Posted from my mobile device

In order for E to be correct, we need something that is "as opposed to" either "whirling water that makes seeing fish easier" or simply "easier."

"As opposed to" does not mean "unlike." It means something along the lines of "rather than" or "not."

It does not make sense to say that the rocks are causing whirling water rather than the rushing waters of the river where it goes through the gorge. Clearly, the point to be made is not that rocks in one area are not causing the rushing waters of another area.

The following would make sense:

The whirling water makes seeing fish easier, rather than harder.

The whirling water makes seeing fish easier, not harder.

The whirling water makes seeing fish easier, as opposed to harder.

The rocks cause whirling water, rather than rushing water.

The rocks cause whirling water, not rushing water.

The rocks cause whirling water, as opposed to rushing water.

Marty Murray

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 11:09
Why not e ? I assumed that answer was A but what is wrong in e ? Opposed to?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 12:54
MartyMurray wrote:
Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike the rushing waters of the river where it goes through the gorge.

A. Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike
B. As rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier, and therefore it is unlike
C. Where rocks are protruding into the river at Lepenski Vir, resulting in whirling water making seeing fish easier, unlike
D. Where rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is resulting whirling water, and it makes seeing fish easier, which is unlike
E. Rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, causing whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, as opposed to

Hi, is the "whirling water to make seeing fish easier" is "because of rocks"? I mean: does "because of rocks" modifies "whirling water to make seeing fish easier"? Thanks_
N.B. As far I know, "because of" modifies "whole the clause", isn't it?

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 12:35
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

Hi, is the "whirling water to make seeing fish easier" is "because of rocks"? I mean: does "because of rocks" modifies "whirling water to make seeing fish easier"? Thanks_

A phase beginning with "because of" is adverbial, meaning that the phrase serves as an adverb. So, the phrase must modify a verb.

In this case, the adverbial prepositional phrase "Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir" modifies the verb "is", and explains why the whirling water is.

Marty Murray

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 12:52
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

A phase beginning with "because of" is adverbial, meaning that the phrase serves as an adverb. So, the phrase must modify a verb.

In this case, the adverbial prepositional phrase "Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir" modifies the verb "is", and explains why the whirling water is.

That means: Because of rocks "there is whirling water", right?
Thanks again__
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 13:05
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 14:48
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

That means: Because of rocks "there is whirling water", right?
Thanks again__

Yes.

Quote:
One more question:
"rushing waters" indicates something 'plural'. So, my question is: is it possible to count 'rushing waters'?
N.B. As far I know, if something is plural, then it is definitely 'countable'
Also, what is the antecedent of "it" in choice A?
Thanks__

Regarding "waters," it does seem plural, so I guess the waters must be countable, but I doubt that anyone would used the word "waters" in a way in which it has to be countable. I may edit the question and use "water" instead.

Regarding "it" in choice A, the antecedent is "river."

Marty Murray

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 15:26
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
One more question:
"rushing waters" indicates something 'plural'. So, my question is: is it possible to count 'rushing waters'?
N.B. As far I know, if something is plural, then it is definitely 'countable'
Also, what is the antecedent of "it" in choice A?
Thanks__

Regarding "waters," it does seem plural, so I guess the waters must be countable, but I doubt that anyone would used the word "waters" in a way in which it has to be countable. I may edit the question and use "water" instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... sh/071210/
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-differ ... -vs-waters
Hi,
According to the above link the word "waters" perfectly makes sense, I guess.
Could you take a look of these links before editing the topic, please?
Thanks__
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 22:34
C and D are much to convoluted to be correct. E is wrong because it replaces ‘unlike’ with ‘opposed to’, the two do not mean the same thing. B is wrong because ‘there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier’, implies conscious intent. A is he right answer.
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 22:48
Prashantsri wrote:
C and D are much to convoluted to be correct. E is wrong because it replaces ‘unlike’ with ‘opposed to’, the two do not mean the same thing. B is wrong because ‘there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier’, implies conscious intent. A is he right answer.

Nice work. You caught some key issues and arrived at the correct answer.

At the same time, probably it would be safer to more clearly define why (C) and (D) are not correct.

For instance, rather than merely say that (C) is too convoluted to be correct, you could use the fact that (C) has no main verb as a clear reason to eliminate (C) and, thus, ensure that you have not fallen for cleverly written trick answers.

Marty Murray

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 01:09
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Is it correct to say "Because of rocks" or "Because rocks"? I think that the structure of the whole sentence is awkward.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 05:37
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Is the usage of unlike correct? The correct idiom is "Unlike A, B...", but in the given sentence the nouns that are compared - whirling water and the rushing waters - are nowhere closer to each other. Don't you think the comparison is wrong?
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 06:34
harsh8686 wrote:
Is the usage of unlike correct? The correct idiom is "Unlike A, B...", but in the given sentence the nouns that are compared - whirling water and the rushing waters - are nowhere closer to each other. Don't you think the comparison is wrong?

The comparison involves two things that have a certain difference. One has an attribute that the other does not have.

Since it's quite logical to say, "The whirling water does X, unlike the rushing waters," the comparison is fine.

If this is hard for you to see, consider the following:

My father, unlike the car, rolled down the hill without getting hurt.

While "my father" must be quite different from "the car," in this instance, comparing the two makes sense.

Marty Murray

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2020, 06:34

Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics