Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q26 V36
GPA: 2.89
WE:Real Estate (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books - Latest Update [#permalink]
nova math bible will also be at the top in the worst list
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Sorry if this has been asked before (I did attempt to find a response through the search function to no avail, suprisingly).

Given, the changes to the GMAT, do the recommended GMAT books change as well? What books would best serve to aide in studying for the new section? And is there a large shift to the new Manhattan set of books? (I purchased the 4th Edition set, just last year without realizing the changes in store).

Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@poppedcolla

The new official guide has been released - OG 13

Manhattan has also updated their books..5th edition

You can check them out at their respective websites
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Send PM
I'm writing GMAT before June , is it worth buying OG 13 ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
I'm writing GMAT before June , is it worth buying OG 13 ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

you can get a handful of extra real-gmat questions if you buy OG-13. But buying it isn't essential as you will not face the IR section.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
rni wrote:
nova math bible will also be at the top in the worst list

i do not think so. In my experience their questions and explanations ( mostly the questions) are not formulated properly.

MGMAT is the worth material I guess
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Guys, any verdict on the new books? I am planning to take the test in August, 2012.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi everybody,

i am pretty new in the club and i got confused with so many different books.
i don't have any particular dead line so i would start and approach the exam in the best way.

a friend lent to me the princeton review, i didn't find it to usefull, to easy and whitout any detailed strategies.

my question is: what's THE BEST book to start with?
the one which can help me with the most efective strategies?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
maffo wrote:
Hi everybody,

i am pretty new in the club and i got confused with so many different books.
i don't have any particular dead line so i would start and approach the exam in the best way.

a friend lent to me the princeton review, i didn't find it to usefull, to easy and whitout any detailed strategies.

my question is: what's THE BEST book to start with?
the one which can help me with the most efective strategies?

I would try and get the MGMAT set this will provide you with everything you need. The math is very good covered well in the 5 books. The sentence correction book is also very good. I did not really use the reading comprehension book or critical reasoning book as I used the CR Powerscore book, which is very good and highly recommend! This set will take a while to go through and you will need OG 12 or 13 to maximize the practice but it is a great complete set.

You could probably get a used set of Mgmat 4th edition cheap and then just purchase the IR book cause you will have to take the gmat with IR after June 5th and purchasing the book new will give you 5 Mgmat CAT tests which will be very helpful.

Also the Gmat grammar book will be free coming up I think the date is June 5th or earlier. It is extra help I would try it out. There is also some other new resources coming on June 5th so stay posted.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am planning on taking the GMAT. I graduated from college in 2001 (Auburn University). I have been working in my field as an accountant since then. I have reached a point in my career where I can't go any higher. I have been wanting to go to graduate school for quite some time but due to personal issues this hasn't been possible until now (father killed by a water spout, mother diagnosed with cancer, and my grandmother recently passed away). I want to give myself at least four months to prepare for this particular exam because it has been so long since I have taken an exam such as this. I have decided that I want to take the self study approach but I can't settle on which books I should purchase to prepare for the exam. I was considering the Princeton Review book (Cracking the new Gmat 2012 w/DVD and ordering the OG (most recent version. I have also thought about purchasing the PR math workout book and the verbal workout book. How does the PR compare to Veritas and the Manhattan prep books. I have also considered the Kaplan prep books and the powerscore books. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have been looking at reviews online for several days and I am having a very hard time deciding. My goal is to try and hit above 700. With all of the options out there how does one decide on the correct prep materials for self study? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
OG 13 ...MGMAT set of 8 books...Kaplan premium...OG verbal revw...OG Quants revw...MUST BUY ALL

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1. Very in-depth overview of every GMAT subject in 15 dedicated guides (each is 100-200 pages long)
2. Comes with a test simulation booklet and a basic math book for those who need extra help (MGMAT charges extra for these)
3. A gmat book for any subject, including probability, combinations, DS, etc
4. Has more practice questions (by far) than the Manhattan set
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 01-07-2013
Send PM
Whats the difference between strategy guide and Foundations of quantitative GMAT?

The strategy guide feels quite basic and also explain everything very clearly and detailed, is it worth buying foundations of quantitative? after all quantitative is my Achilles heel...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Can anyone suggest me good book to improve quant topics - combination and rate/time/distance?

I aalready MGMAT SG and OG 11 and 13. However, when I practice tests I always get confuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello everyone

Honestly im totally lost :? . There are so many books and guides...i dont know where to begin. I been reading posts here for 2 days and im still lost.
Im planning to take the gmat in 8,5 weeks, but i will start in one week from now. Im planning to study for 9-12 hours a day.Here in sweden i will take my bsc in economics in couple of days and next semester i will hopefully take a bsc in statistics. My main questions is, wich books should i buy if i want a score at 710+...im screwed if i dont get around this number.
Im sure you get this posts all the time :oops: , but please i really need some advice especially now that the gmat is changed.

Best regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Shadow88 wrote:
Hello everyone

Honestly im totally lost :? . There are so many books and guides...i dont know where to begin. I been reading posts here for 2 days and im still lost.
Im planning to take the gmat in 8,5 weeks, but i will start in one week from now. Im planning to study for 9-12 hours a day.Here in sweden i will take my bsc in economics in couple of days and next semester i will hopefully take a bsc in statistics. My main questions is, wich books should i buy if i want a score at 710+...im screwed if i dont get around this number.
Im sure you get this posts all the time :oops: , but please i really need some advice especially now that the gmat is changed.

Best regards

I agree that the message here is pretty ambiguous. It's a serious weakness. Let me make it easy for you. Buy the 8 MGMAT guides, the OG guide, and the OG Verbal and OG Math guides. Go through the plan as recommended in the MGMAT guides. Then once you're finished with all that, come on here and try the GMAT Club Tests. If you do all that, you will test at at least 95% of your maximum potential wherever that is. In terms of additional books, you could possibly try the Sackmann Challenge Sets.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
For ease of it, you can just OG 13 + the MGMAT Guides - that's what most do.

You can also add a few options such as GMAT Roadmap (I like this one)
Foundations of GMAT Quant if you need quant extra basics
Foundations of GMAT Verbal if you need verbal extra help
And that's it.

This is plenty for about 3-4 months. :-)
you an also add the Kaplan Premier (1,100 pages and 6 CAT's for about $40) but that's only if you need extra CAT's
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11