Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GRE 1: Q169 V162
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Booth vs Wharton [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Fantastic job getting into 2 great schools!

Wharton is usually the "easy" choice many take. I am typing on the phone so don't have access to the latest job and placement reports to see who has a larger network in EMEA. Something to verify potentially. My guess would be Wharton due to gov contracts to train employees.

Having known people from both programs/schools, I feel Wharton would fit your needs/goals somewhat better as it is a de facto finance school and has probably slightly stronger lineup of professors that teach some unique classes. Keep in mind you always have a bidding system for classes so you don't always get what you want (right away at least). The name is likely better known and the fact that it is often brought up in the same sentence as Stanford and Harvard will count in MEA region.

Wharton student body also seems to be more focused albeit perhaps less diverse while Booth has an entrepreneurship center and new venture challenge, etc and sometimes tries to get away from the pure finance school while Wharton seems to embrace it. Perhaps I am a bit set in my views? Yes, I know Wharton has a great negotiations program/class set.

I know it is hard to pick sometimes between two great choices and having to reject one.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

It is a good problem to have but what you've said makes sense to me. When you say less diverse, did you mean from a career or nationality perspective?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, future career perspective. Wharton will d finitely be very diverse in terms of backgrounds and nationalities with the class size they have.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrteacher wrote:
I'm in a similar boat as I absolutely love both schools.

I think you should go to both Welcome weekends because they are 1 week apart. And then if you are leaning towards Booth, at least see if they will match. If your request comes off as you are serious about committing to Booth but $$$ is the sole factor, I do think Booth's AdCom will be willing to match Wharton's offer.

First and foremost, congrats on your acceptances!

That's a good point, I already had decided to attend both Welcome weekends but I hadn't thought of trying to have Booth match the $. What did you love about Wharton / Booth?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Yes, future career perspective. Wharton will d finitely be very diverse in terms of backgrounds and nationalities with the class size they have.

Understood, thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
FunkFreed wrote:
mrteacher wrote:
I'm in a similar boat as I absolutely love both schools.

I think you should go to both Welcome weekends because they are 1 week apart. And then if you are leaning towards Booth, at least see if they will match. If your request comes off as you are serious about committing to Booth but $$$ is the sole factor, I do think Booth's AdCom will be willing to match Wharton's offer.

First and foremost, congrats on your acceptances!

That's a good point, I already had decided to attend both Welcome weekends but I hadn't thought of trying to have Booth match the $. What did you love about Wharton / Booth?

I like both schools a lot, but Booth is more known for a collaborative culture than Wharton. However, as much as students like the flexible curriculum at Booth, I am a big believer in core curriculum. That is what marshals the power of an MBA vs. an MS in Finance.

One of my 2014 clients received a $50K scholarship from Kellogg MMM and he used that as leverage to negotiate $50K from Booth (in round 3, no less.) Kellogg countered for $60K but he chose Booth. So I have to believe they would do something similar for Wharton. Incidentally, Kellogg countered for $60K but he chose Booth.

Good luck, you will have a great experience at either, I believe.
Farrell
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Booth vs Wharton [#permalink]
Thanks for providing a real-life example of leveraging scholarship offers. Hopefully the same occurs in my case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Hello- I am in a similar situation between Wharton vs. Booth, except Booth offered more $$ than Wharton in my case. All else equal I would probably choose Wharton but the money would make a big difference in my life and therefore may be a deciding factor. Does anyone have any tips as to how I should approach Wharton to ask for more $? e.g. Who to contact (I don't have the name of anyone specific in admissions to email), how to approach the ask, etc.?? Thank you!!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Looks like this person was in a similar situation a year or two ago - you may want to reach out to them to see what they ended up doing:
wharton-vs-booth-195094.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Booth vs Wharton [#permalink]
Wanted to give an update. I decided on Wharton. After I went to its Welcome Weekend, Wharton snuffed out all the love I had for Booth.

I was really impressed by the get **** done attitude of the current students. In addition I got along so well with people there that I already had my roommates by the end of the weekend.

I felt the school was tailor made for me. A place where you can really maximize the experience if you have a go getter personality given the significant resources, student body size & diversity (gender, racial, AND experience), and brand.

So the student body, the amount of ways to get involved in campus, the strength of the network particularly in the EMEA area (secured an internship for the summer prior to matriculation), and finance/public policy/analytics courses, this became a no brainer. And then when you add the near full tuition waiver....
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm a little late but was going to chime in pro-Wharton here given your international plans and with the money included it would be tough to turn down. Ultimately these things come down to personal fit so I'm glad you went to the admit weekend and made a decision based on fit!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts