GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Jan 2020, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 09:14
Mudit27021988 wrote:
One quick question. Is the conversion rate after interview invite high for Columbia. I read in one of the egmat blogs. Not sure if the info is correct. Can some one validate?

Posted from my mobile device

Historically this was true and I have read the e-gmat blog, however, last year I have known quite a few people (with stellar profiles) who even after the interview were either denied or waitlisted so not sure how much this is true in the present context.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 09:17
rohan2345 wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi I have a couple of questions. I wrote to admissions but I havent heard from them for about a week now.
Will be helpful to have them addressed.

1) Do we have to report cwncelled score as well as Columbia is asking for number of times gmat exam taken.?

2) do recommenders have to post their reply before October 4 deadline as well? Or by completing the application the meaning conveyes is that your recommendrs should have got the email?

3) my college transcripts talk only about percentages. Will it be ok to use the GMAT measure for writing GPA (which essentially is I think if greater than 70% than it's a GPA of 4/4).

Pleaseeee help!!!

Hi Mudit27021988,

With regard to your second question, I remember the adcom member saying that though they say that recommendations should be submitted together with the applications, they keep upto 5 days buffer for the recommendation letter. So if you end up applying to Columbia on 4th October, your recommendations can be submitted by 9th I guess.

With regard to transcripts, in India and some other countries, a lot of colleges follow percentage system and hence please report your percentage as it appears on the transcript and do not convert it to a GPA. Top US business schools are aware of the of different grading systems around the world and hence do not expect you to convert the same.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Thanks rohan for your help. Please see the response I got from adcoms today.

Thank you for reaching out, I’m happy to answer your questions.

1) We’d like to know how many times you’ve taken the GMAT, including all scores.

2) The deadline is indeed Oct 4th, however, recommenders can submit their letters up to 3 weeks after that date (just keep in mind we will not look at your application until it is complete).

3)Do not worry about the transcript, we will have a general idea of how you did by looking at the percentages.

I am still not sure if they are askingng for cancelled scores. But I guess there is no field to input score of all attempts so it should be fine just to mention the number of attmepts. I am attaching the official result which actually shows the dates of gmat as well. Hope that works
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 09:23
Mudit27021988 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi I have a couple of questions. I wrote to admissions but I havent heard from them for about a week now.
Will be helpful to have them addressed.

1) Do we have to report cwncelled score as well as Columbia is asking for number of times gmat exam taken.?

2) do recommenders have to post their reply before October 4 deadline as well? Or by completing the application the meaning conveyes is that your recommendrs should have got the email?

3) my college transcripts talk only about percentages. Will it be ok to use the GMAT measure for writing GPA (which essentially is I think if greater than 70% than it's a GPA of 4/4).

Pleaseeee help!!!

Hi Mudit27021988,

With regard to your second question, I remember the adcom member saying that though they say that recommendations should be submitted together with the applications, they keep upto 5 days buffer for the recommendation letter. So if you end up applying to Columbia on 4th October, your recommendations can be submitted by 9th I guess.

With regard to transcripts, in India and some other countries, a lot of colleges follow percentage system and hence please report your percentage as it appears on the transcript and do not convert it to a GPA. Top US business schools are aware of the of different grading systems around the world and hence do not expect you to convert the same.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Thanks rohan for your help. Please see the response I got from adcoms today.

Thank you for reaching out, I’m happy to answer your questions.

1) We’d like to know how many times you’ve taken the GMAT, including all scores.

2) The deadline is indeed Oct 4th, however, recommenders can submit their letters up to 3 weeks after that date (just keep in mind we will not look at your application until it is complete).

3)Do not worry about the transcript, we will have a general idea of how you did by looking at the percentages.

I am still not sure if they are askingng for cancelled scores. But I guess there is no field to input score of all attempts so it should be fine just to mention the number of attmepts. I am attaching the official result which actually shows the dates of gmat as well. Hope that works

Perfect! Just mention the number of attempts, and include the scores that you have accepted as they appear on your score report. They will not care for the cancelled score so just mention the ones that appear on the report. You have a fantastic GMAT score now, so I guess you have nothing to worry about in terms of GMAT.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (I)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 10:43
Approximately - what is the percentage of applicants who are accepted after interviewing? Also - why are people typically rejected after an interview, is it solely because of a bad interview or some other factors?

dp720760 wrote:
Anecdotally yes, it’s fairly high

Mudit27021988 wrote:
One quick question. Is the conversion rate after interview invite high for Columbia. I read in one of the egmat blogs. Not sure if the info is correct. Can some one validate?

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 11:41
MurrayHillTrooper wrote:
Approximately - what is the percentage of applicants who are accepted after interviewing? Also - why are people typically rejected after an interview, is it solely because of a bad interview or some other factors?

dp720760 wrote:

Mudit27021988 wrote:

Hi MurrayHillTrooper,

There is as such no official statistics available on the percentage of students who are admitted after an interview. Though for Columbia traditionally it has been high, there are still quite a few applicants who are denied or waitlisted.

While your performance in the interview is definitely a factor in terms of the final decision, there are other factors as well. I know quite a few people who were interviewed but were later waitlisted and were asked to re-take their GMAT for a better score by the adcom. Those who could not improve their scores were ultimately denied admission.

I have spoken to quite a few adcoms who have said that after the interviewer has submitted the feedback of the applicant, the admissions team meets again to look at the applicant's whole application including the interview feedback and then the final decision is made.

Hope this gives you some clarity. All the best!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (I)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 12:03
Great - thanks! Super helpful. When you say "for Columbia traditionally it has been high", do you mean 50%, 75% etc? Also is there a consensus as to whether that percentage is significantly higher for ED vs. RD?

rohan2345 wrote:
MurrayHillTrooper wrote:

dp720760 wrote:

Hi MurrayHillTrooper,

There is as such no official statistics available on the percentage of students who are admitted after an interview. Though for Columbia traditionally it has been high, there are still quite a few applicants who are denied or waitlisted.

While your performance in the interview is definitely a factor in terms of the final decision, there are other factors as well. I know quite a few people who were interviewed but were later waitlisted and were asked to re-take their GMAT for a better score by the adcom. Those who could not improve their scores were ultimately denied admission.

I have spoken to quite a few adcoms who have said that after the interviewer has submitted the feedback of the applicant, the admissions team meets again to look at the applicant's whole application including the interview feedback and then the final decision is made.

Hope this gives you some clarity. All the best!
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 12:48
From what I have observed over the years it's more than 50% though in the absence of official statistics it's hard to tell with certainty. ED does give you certain advantage over regular decision as around 30% of the entire CBS's class comes through this round but it's impossible to say if this is true for interviews as well. If you can though definitely apply through ED specially if you are applying from a competitive pool such as India or China.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (D)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 13:15
rohan2345 wrote:
From what I have observed over the years it's more than 50% though in the absence of official statistics it's hard to tell with certainty. ED does give you certain advantage over regular decision as around 30% of the entire CBS's class comes through this round but it's impossible to say if this is true for interviews as well. If you can though definitely apply through ED specially if you are applying from a competitive pool such as India or China.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rohan, did the adcom really asked a waitlisted applicant to re-take his/her GMAT for a better score by the adcom?

V

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 13:38
samjones2013 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi Rohan, did the adcom really asked a waitlisted applicant to re-take his/her GMAT for a better score by the adcom?

Hi samjones2013,

Yes. There have been a few cases where the adcom has recommended that the applicant retake the GMAT. However, note that this is also true for most other business schools. I believe this is still better than a ding as the adcom has liked your application and just wants you to improve this parameter, which an applicant can still do.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 21:25
Guys I am exceeding my essay length on all questions. 250 word limit is coming out to be 600-700 word count and 500 word limit is coming out to be about 900 word count. It is very hard to trim the answers to cutthorat core without any context. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 21:33
It’s not easy to write so much with so little words. But this means you are giving out too much context. And you probably lack focus. You have to respect the word limit. 600-700 is way too many for a 250-word limit essay. You have to decide to cut sth completely and go directly to the key message.
Good luck!

Mudit27021988 wrote:
Guys I am exceeding my essay length on all questions. 250 word limit is coming out to be 600-700 word count and 500 word limit is coming out to be about 900 word count. It is very hard to trim the answers to cutthorat core without any context. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:34
Guys, any idea on percentage of admission after interview? 40%?

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:36
Cannot say for sure. But could be above 50%

Hoagie wrote:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:56
I have a theory. According to multiple posts and the clear admit live wire, interviews are usually sent out exactly 15 business days after submission. Some are sent between 15 and 20 business days. My guess is it depends on the reviewer. If the 1st reviewer likes you, you get interview in 15 business days. If the 1st reviewer denied, the application is moved to 2nd reviewer, and if he likes you, then you get interview in 20 business days. The punchline is, those who received interviews in 15 days have better chance to be admitted. Just a theory, could be wrong.

dp720760 wrote:
Cannot say for sure. But could be above 50%

Hoagie wrote:

Kellogg School Moderator
B
GRE 1: Q170 V164

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:57
Any data points you’re basing this on?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 03:09
Not a large sample, just get this from clearadmit livewire. Everyone who received interview invite in 21 days (15 business days) got in. But it could be a sample selection bias since those who didn’t get in might not post their results. I know I will be too depressed to post anything.

tanmay1392 wrote:

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 03:34
Hoagie wrote:
Not a large sample, just get this from clearadmit livewire. Everyone who received interview invite in 21 days (15 business days) got in. But it could be a sample selection bias since those who didn’t get in might not post their results. I know I will be too depressed to post anything.

tanmay1392 wrote:

Stay positive mate! You will do it. :) All the best.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 03:41
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hoagie wrote:

tanmay1392 wrote:

Stay positive mate! You will do it. :) All the best.

Thanks mate! I’ll do my best. Let’s hope I don’t get a heart attack before I got the result :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 06:47
How long does it typically take to receive a response after the initial submission? I applied the first week of September, so curious how long until I hear either a rejection or interview invite?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 06:56
I have answered this a few times already. Please check above

scha228 wrote:
How long does it typically take to receive a response after the initial submission? I applied the first week of September, so curious how long until I hear either a rejection or interview invite?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2019, 06:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17    Next  [ 333 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jeometricals