Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:41 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8  ...  23   
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2925 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
Approximately - what is the percentage of applicants who are accepted after interviewing? Also - why are people typically rejected after an interview, is it solely because of a bad interview or some other factors?

dp720760 wrote:
Anecdotally yes, it’s fairly high

Mudit27021988 wrote:
One quick question. Is the conversion rate after interview invite high for Columbia. I read in one of the egmat blogs. Not sure if the info is correct. Can some one validate?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
MurrayHillTrooper wrote:
Approximately - what is the percentage of applicants who are accepted after interviewing? Also - why are people typically rejected after an interview, is it solely because of a bad interview or some other factors?

dp720760 wrote:

Mudit27021988 wrote:
One quick question. Is the conversion rate after interview invite high for Columbia. I read in one of the egmat blogs. Not sure if the info is correct. Can some one validate?

Hi MurrayHillTrooper,

There is as such no official statistics available on the percentage of students who are admitted after an interview. Though for Columbia traditionally it has been high, there are still quite a few applicants who are denied or waitlisted.

While your performance in the interview is definitely a factor in terms of the final decision, there are other factors as well. I know quite a few people who were interviewed but were later waitlisted and were asked to re-take their GMAT for a better score by the adcom. Those who could not improve their scores were ultimately denied admission.

I have spoken to quite a few adcoms who have said that after the interviewer has submitted the feedback of the applicant, the admissions team meets again to look at the applicant's whole application including the interview feedback and then the final decision is made.

Hope this gives you some clarity. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Great - thanks! Super helpful. When you say "for Columbia traditionally it has been high", do you mean 50%, 75% etc? Also is there a consensus as to whether that percentage is significantly higher for ED vs. RD?

rohan2345 wrote:
MurrayHillTrooper wrote:

dp720760 wrote:

Hi MurrayHillTrooper,

There is as such no official statistics available on the percentage of students who are admitted after an interview. Though for Columbia traditionally it has been high, there are still quite a few applicants who are denied or waitlisted.

While your performance in the interview is definitely a factor in terms of the final decision, there are other factors as well. I know quite a few people who were interviewed but were later waitlisted and were asked to re-take their GMAT for a better score by the adcom. Those who could not improve their scores were ultimately denied admission.

I have spoken to quite a few adcoms who have said that after the interviewer has submitted the feedback of the applicant, the admissions team meets again to look at the applicant's whole application including the interview feedback and then the final decision is made.

Hope this gives you some clarity. All the best!
Current Student
Send PM
From what I have observed over the years it's more than 50% though in the absence of official statistics it's hard to tell with certainty. ED does give you certain advantage over regular decision as around 30% of the entire CBS's class comes through this round but it's impossible to say if this is true for interviews as well. If you can though definitely apply through ED specially if you are applying from a competitive pool such as India or China.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
Send PM
rohan2345 wrote:
From what I have observed over the years it's more than 50% though in the absence of official statistics it's hard to tell with certainty. ED does give you certain advantage over regular decision as around 30% of the entire CBS's class comes through this round but it's impossible to say if this is true for interviews as well. If you can though definitely apply through ED specially if you are applying from a competitive pool such as India or China.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rohan, did the adcom really asked a waitlisted applicant to re-take his/her GMAT for a better score by the adcom?

Current Student
Send PM
samjones2013 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi Rohan, did the adcom really asked a waitlisted applicant to re-take his/her GMAT for a better score by the adcom?

Hi samjones2013,

Yes. There have been a few cases where the adcom has recommended that the applicant retake the GMAT. However, note that this is also true for most other business schools. I believe this is still better than a ding as the adcom has liked your application and just wants you to improve this parameter, which an applicant can still do.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys I am exceeding my essay length on all questions. 250 word limit is coming out to be 600-700 word count and 500 word limit is coming out to be about 900 word count. It is very hard to trim the answers to cutthorat core without any context. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
It’s not easy to write so much with so little words. But this means you are giving out too much context. And you probably lack focus. You have to respect the word limit. 600-700 is way too many for a 250-word limit essay. You have to decide to cut sth completely and go directly to the key message.
Good luck!

Mudit27021988 wrote:
Guys I am exceeding my essay length on all questions. 250 word limit is coming out to be 600-700 word count and 500 word limit is coming out to be about 900 word count. It is very hard to trim the answers to cutthorat core without any context. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Guys, any idea on percentage of admission after interview? 40%?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cannot say for sure. But could be above 50%

Hoagie wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have a theory. According to multiple posts and the clear admit live wire, interviews are usually sent out exactly 15 business days after submission. Some are sent between 15 and 20 business days. My guess is it depends on the reviewer. If the 1st reviewer likes you, you get interview in 15 business days. If the 1st reviewer denied, the application is moved to 2nd reviewer, and if he likes you, then you get interview in 20 business days. The punchline is, those who received interviews in 15 days have better chance to be admitted. Just a theory, could be wrong.

dp720760 wrote:
Cannot say for sure. But could be above 50%

Hoagie wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GRE 1: Q170 V164
Send PM
Any data points you’re basing this on?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not a large sample, just get this from clearadmit livewire. Everyone who received interview invite in 21 days (15 business days) got in. But it could be a sample selection bias since those who didn’t get in might not post their results. I know I will be too depressed to post anything.

tanmay1392 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hoagie wrote:
Not a large sample, just get this from clearadmit livewire. Everyone who received interview invite in 21 days (15 business days) got in. But it could be a sample selection bias since those who didn’t get in might not post their results. I know I will be too depressed to post anything.

tanmay1392 wrote:

Stay positive mate! You will do it. :) All the best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hoagie wrote:

tanmay1392 wrote:

Stay positive mate! You will do it. :) All the best.

Thanks mate! I’ll do my best. Let’s hope I don’t get a heart attack before I got the result :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
How long does it typically take to receive a response after the initial submission? I applied the first week of September, so curious how long until I hear either a rejection or interview invite?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have answered this a few times already. Please check above

scha228 wrote:
How long does it typically take to receive a response after the initial submission? I applied the first week of September, so curious how long until I hear either a rejection or interview invite?

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts