It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Some thoughts on marketing strategy and branding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 13:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Some thoughts on marketing strategy and branding

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Marketing strategy, to me, comes down to one central insight: “Be cheap or be different.” Everything else is a losing strategy in the long run. A brand, on the other hand, is just a set of associations.

Wal-Mart, to take an example, is built on the “be cheap” strategy. And it is likely that you associate Wal-Mart with “cheap” as well. Apple, on the other hand, is built on the “think different” idea. And it is likely you associate Apple with “think different” as well.

This is particularly interesting where Apple is concerned because Apple products don’t offer much customization. Every iPhone is exactly the same, with limited ability to customize anything beyond colors. So in some ways, it is think different but own the same thing. In Apple’s case, I would posit that the source of its differentiation has moved from just “think different” to something that points to being cool/aspirational over time. It has clearly worked well for them.

When the marketing strategy and the brand’s associations align, it is pretty magical. It means all other components of marketing – e.g. advertising – are aligned, too. Since alignment is key, it points to why marketing needs to begin with the product. Shoving lots of differentiation-based advertising on a bad product isn’t a route to winning in the long term. Customers find out.

The product I was thinking about as I was writing this was me/us. As CEO’s of Me, Inc., I think these lessons raise some interesting questions for you and me. In particular, there were two questions that crossed my mind.

1. What is our marketing strategy built off of? 
This a bit of a long-term question: Are you going to be cheap, or different? Cheap means undifferentiated on everything except price, and it implies an ability to do something with a cost advantage. If differentiation is the goal, however, it likely means being differentiated on skills. There are two ways to be different on skills – either be among the world’s best in one thing or possess a very unique combination of skills. If you’re going down the “world’s best” path, it means consistent, deliberate practice to be among the world’s best craftsman in your field. For everyone else, it is all about combining various complementary skills.

A famous example of the latter is from Scott Adams, author of the Dilbert comic. Scott Adams, in his own words, combined an average sense of humor, average drawing skills and average corporate experience to create a killer comic targeted at a corporate audience.

Some of the most valuable professions today require skills across disciplines. For example, it is certain that business leaders for the next two decades will need to be proficient with data. So data analytics and statistics are skills that will matter more as time goes by.

But is there a perfect combination that works for your field? While I would posit that there are essential skills depending on your industry (for example, most non-founder CEO’s of leading technology companies seem to have experience running product organizations), I am almost certain there isn’t one set path. Instead, what probably matters here is to just be a learning machine and keep picking up skills. The dots only connect backward.

2. What are the associations linked to our brands? 
Ellen Kullman ’83, former CEO of DuPont, recently spoke at Kellogg. She said that people who work with you or know you professionally have a “book” on you. The book typically has answers to two questions: “Does this person get stuff done?” And “does this person have the ability to inspire people to follow them?” Her advice to us was to know what the book about you says, because you can shape it over time.

The third question I would add is “what are you good at?” Your professional reputation is likely built on your skills, your ability to get stuff done and your ability to lead. But “how” we do it is something that is unique to our personalities. Ellen’s point was to be aware of what your reputation is and to think intentionally about what you’d like it to be.

A quick note on self promotion – I think of self promotion as advertising. Some brands are fantastic at it, and then there are others who shun it completely and rely on word-of-mouth/influencers. My sense on advertising/self-promotion is that you need to pick a strategy that suits your personality. You also need to target it in the right places. Mass market brands need to spend a lot of money on advertising. Niche brands are much more targeted and, in some cases, may not need any at all.

The point-of-difference here is that advertising is not marketing. Marketing is the story around your product – the promises it makes and how it keeps those promises. And as a result, it begins with the product.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked as a consultant serving clients across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He interned at LinkedIn in Business Operations and will be heading back to LinkedIn full-time after he graduates in June 2016. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: Advertising, alumni, Ellen Kullman, marketing, MBA Learnings, strategy Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 04:36
Just wanted to check if Indians have started getting invites for interview for Round 2 ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 04:47
manish1132 wrote:
Just wanted to check if Indians have started getting invites for interview for Round 2 ?

Not yet!!! :|

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 87

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Indian applicant, received an interview call on the 20th for the 6th of Feb

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS '18 (II)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 21:13
Congrats beauty213! When did you apply? And where are you based in India?

beauty213 wrote:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 21:31
I had my interview today. Alumnus, in Dallas. Similar to the rest. Why MBA, Why Kellogg, Why 1Y. One behavioral. Very relaxed experience in a coffee shop.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Darden '18 (A)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 00:54
This post received
KUDOS
JPrufrock wrote:

beauty213 wrote:

Any updates guys? This waiting is killing me. Was watching Ind vs Aus the other day. The score board was purple. I suddenly remembered Kellogg and started refreshing my inbox. This is bad.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 3

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 17:57
hawksight wrote:
JPrufrock wrote:

beauty213 wrote:

Any updates guys? This waiting is killing me. Was watching Ind vs Aus the other day. The score board was purple. I suddenly remembered Kellogg and started refreshing my inbox. This is bad.

Applied 6/1, completed videos on 13/1 and received the invite on 20/1. I'm sure there are tons of invites left to go out..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

From acceptance to matriculation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: From acceptance to matriculation

By Dean Nordhielm

So you just got into business school. Congrats!

At this point you still have months before you actually begin classes. That seems like a lot of time, but it’s really not as long as you think, and you’ll have a lot more to do than you think. Here are the things I did (or wished I did) in the order I did them (or the order I wished I did them):

Go to admitted students weekend.
Most schools have a weekend to wine and dine admitted students in order to convince them that their program is the one you should go to. Go to it. If you got into multiple schools, go to them all. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn about programs, network with fellow students (even ones who may be making the same tough decisions you are) and have a great time.

Decide on a program.
Everybody’s decision criteria is different, so I won’t offer any advice about choosing, but I will tell you that sending in the first deposit and knowing exactly where you’ll be in four to eight months is an awesome feeling.

Figure out where you’ll live.
You may want to do this in conjunction with admitted students weekend so that you can look at apartments, but either way, lock up a place to live (and/or finding roommates) before all of your classmates take all of the good apartments.

Decide what (if anything) you are doing between finishing work and business school.
If you always wanted to go on a trip to Europe (and you have the money), now’s the time. If you just want some time to spend at home with your spouse, now’s the time. Once you decide how late you’re working and what you’re doing, figure out when you will be telling your employer about going to business school (if you haven’t already).

Find networking / recruiting opportunities.
Once you get to school, you won’t have time to do all of the networking and recruiting events that you want to; now’s the chance to get a head start on those. Most industries have pre-MBA forums and some companies have specific events (maybe even scholarships) that you can apply to. Talk to first-year students if your school hasn’t shared an overwhelmingly long list of these with you yet.

Decide how you will be funding your MBA.
Unless you got a full ride, you’ll have to figure out how you will be paying for everything. I’d recommend looking into other sources besides traditional student loans as well; family loans, income from investments and your significant others’ salary can go a long way toward funding your education. If you are applying for traditional student loans, I would recommend speaking with your school’s financial aid office. They can likely share which lenders most of your peers use that are likely very competitive.

Complete your funding.
This will be an ongoing process that will take a few months and differ for each school, but the earlier you can get this finalized the better. Be prepared to make decisions like: How much should I take from each funding source? Am I willing to count on my other funding sources or are they just “nice to haves?” Do I want the lower interest private loans or the more flexible public loans? Do I want fixed or variable interest rates?

Complete any school-specific requirements.
I’m not sure what other schools were like, but Kellogg had a long list of everything they needed us to do before we started, from submitting medical records to signing up for classes to getting our computer set up. None of these (save the two described here separately) should take a ton of time, but together, there will be a lot to do, and trust me, once you get on campus you’d much rather be spending time with your classmates or joining clubs than filling out paperwork.

Do the online classes.
Most schools will have one or two pre-term classes. Trust me that you don’t want to have to deal with these when you’re at school. This includes any class waiver that you may want to apply for. I’d recommend seeking out some current students for advice if you are undecided on waivers.

If you’re like me, you had health insurance through your employer. Since you won’t be employed, that insurance goes away. Your school likely has a plan, but it may be worth investigating other options, like joining your spouse’s insurance. If you’re stuck on your own for health insurance, anything besides the school’s health insurance plan will likely have to go through the healthcare.gov exchange, which requires that you are 60 days or less away from the end of your current coverage, so you can’t start this until about two months before you leave work.

Complete the move.
We’ve all moved before (though if you’re like me you’ve accumulated a lot of stuff since your last move), and it’s a pain. This should be your last step before beginning business school, though, so you’ll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope this is helpful. If there’s anything I missed or that you have questions about, feel free to let me know in the comments below.

First-year student Dean Nordhielm has had an amazing experience at Kellogg so far and wants to help incoming Kellogg students (as well as everyone else) make the most of their MBA experience.

Filed under: Admissions, Student Life Tagged: admissions, Admitted Students, Advice, networking Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.46
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:24
Just came back from on campus interview and as it says in most of the comments above there was no big surprise. Very relaxed interview, rather it was more of a conversation.

If you can visit the campus for interview I would definitely recommend it. Not only would it help with the interview but it would also give you a very good feel of the Kellogg community. Also you can check out the new Kellogg building; from what I heard in information session everyone at Kellogg would move to the new campus in Spring 2017.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 125

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:35
got interview invite. need to schedule within 9th feb with local alumnus.

Current Student

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:37
beauty213 wrote:

did you have the interview date mentioned in the mail from AdCom itself? :-o

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:43
Which city in India are you from ?

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:43
Which city in India are you from ?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: CBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 12:13
Received the interview invite a couple of hours ago.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 13:07
Received an interview invite from kellogg a couple of hours ago. It will be taken by a member of the admissions committee.

Manager
Manager

Kellogg Cares Day gives back to the community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg Cares Day gives back to the community

By Lucy King

Kellogg Cares Day is a long-standing tradition (11 years running!) for the Kellogg community. The event is always a highlight of the year as it allows Kellogg students, faculty and alumni the opportunity to come together and volunteer in the Evanston and Chicago community.

This year, I had the great pleasure of leading the Kellogg Cares Day executive committee. We had a fantastic team of nine students and JVs who participated in the planning of the event. While the goal every year is to increase participation, we had lofty ambitions of getting more than 500 Kellogg community members to participate.

For four months we worked with volunteer organizations, planning logistics, raising awareness of the event and getting our classmates excited about the giving their time to the community where they live.

All of the hard work paid off when we had more than 600 volunteers sign up to participate for the event.

Despite rainy, cold weather, we had a fantastic day volunteering across the area. Service projects varied, including packing weekend nutrition bags for elementary school students, consulting projects at the Illinois Holocaust Museum and performing habitat restoration.

Overall we served 28 different organizations across the city, and it was amazing to see that even a half-day of service could make a huge impact on the organization.

Many students commented that they loved the opportunity to volunteer alongside their friends, and we hope that Kellogg Cares Day will continue to create a way for students to connect outside of the classroom while making an impact in their community.

I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to lead and participate in Kellogg Cares Day. The event taught me a couple of things.

• First, my peers at Kellogg are incredibly giving individuals. It was amazing to see how many people came to give their time, energy and talents to these organizations
  • Second, I learned that there are tons of opportunities within close reach of our community that can benefit from even a few hours of volunteering.
Given the excitement and dedication we saw across the Kellogg community this year, I hope we will continue to see the commitment to service grow in the coming years. I can’t wait to see what Kellogg Cares Day looks like on its 20th anniversary!

Lucy King is currently a student in Kellogg’s Full-Time One-Year MBA program, where she is focusing on marketing. Prior to Kellogg, Lucy spent four years at General Mills in sales. After graduation she will be transitioning into brand management.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: community, community service, culture, evanston, Kellogg Cares Day, leadership, philanthropy, volunteer opportunities Image

Manager
Manager

Faculty podcast: Using the arts to be a more effective leader [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Faculty podcast: Using the arts to be a more effective leader

From Kellogg Insight

In this month’s Insight in Person podcast, we ask: Why are business leaders turning to the arts — from storytelling to jazz ensemble, Argentine tango to tap — for insights into how to do their own jobs better?

You will hear from Michelle Buck, a Kellogg School professor, Stephen Alltop, a conductor and professor at Northwestern’s Beinen School of Music, Michael Gold, a jazz bandleader and director of the arts consultancy Jazz Impact, and Jenai Cutcher West, a tap dancer and instructor, about using arts-based experiential learning to bring epiphanies to executives.

Listen to this month’s faculty podcast

Listen to previous faculty podcasts

Kellogg Insight is an online publication where faculty bring their latest research and expertise to you in an accessible, engaging format. Kellogg Insight provides ambitious business leaders with the research and expertise needed to drive growth.

Filed under: Academics Tagged: arts, executives, faculty podcast, leadership, podcast, storytelling Image

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 03:36
nothing yet! boohoo.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 03:44
My wife and I had our interviews by local alums this week, and they both went really well. It's nothing to stress about. It's very much like a job interview, and they don't try to trick you. try to relax and it'll actually be a fun experience.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2016, 03:44

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  58    Next  [ 1148 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Gnpth

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap