It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1637 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 06:17
Bulldozer wrote:
yeeyee wrote:
I'm not familiar with how the actual interviews are run. Off-campus interviews don't hear back for 4-6 weeks is all I know. Chicago area applicants don't get the option to interview on campus for whatever reason. I thought that on-campus interviews are scheduled yourself on-line. Yes you're correct about the video interview.

I could be very wrong, but my understanding of Kellogg was everyone (regardless of on or off-campus) will get an interview invite. On the other hand, Tuck only guarantees interviews to those who will travel to campus. The video essay is not related to the interview at all and is merely another a part of your initial application. Could someone else verify or correct this?

I believe you are correct on both counts, on-campus interviews are self-scheduled at the completion of the application form. I also do not believe the video essay is related to or used as a supplement to an interview (in either person-to-person or skype form). I cannot confirm, but suspect the purpose of the video interview is to understand how a person will react in the face of spontaneity, as will be the case in a classroom. Kellogg certainly seems to value a class that is socially adept. Formal interviews can be thoroughly prepared for, essays can be reviewed and polished but the true litmus test is how someone can think on his or her feet and answer a spur of the moment question.

Granted, everyone has good and bad days when it comes to these types of questions so hopefully it isn't a huge factor like the GMAT or your essays, but one that certainly one that could move the needle slightly one way or another.

You are correct. Video essays are meant to see how if you can talk coherently about the things asked for a minute or so. Video essays are still in their infancy and as such should not have much bearing on the final application result but it does add another data point to your 'personality'. Dont overthink, be yourself but dont bomb it either.

Good luck.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 06:21
yeeyee wrote:
I'm not familiar with how the actual interviews are run. Off-campus interviews don't hear back for 4-6 weeks is all I know. Chicago area applicants don't get the option to interview on campus for whatever reason. I thought that on-campus interviews are scheduled yourself on-line. Yes you're correct about the video interview.

I could be very wrong, but my understanding of Kellogg was everyone (regardless of on or off-campus) will get an interview invite. On the other hand, Tuck only guarantees interviews to those who will travel to campus. The video essay is not related to the interview at all and is merely another a part of your initial application. Could someone else verify or correct this?

Kellogg 'tries' to interview all but due to a fixed schedule and other logistical barriers, not everyone will be invited (as was evident from last year's thread). Some got interview waivers that did not revert to interviews later in that round.

Video essays are just another facet of your application. The weights are still not high as they are a novel commodity in the application process. But then again, practice but dont overdo/overthink.

Off-campus interviews are scheduled earlier than on campus based on how quickly can the adcom members match you up with an alumnus/na in your area.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 00:20
Huh..done with the video essay.. but i couldn't understand what kind of skills they are evaluating through this part of the application.. Even the instructions don't talk anything about looking for certain skills.. I dont think a great business leader or a community leader necessarily needs to give 20 second replies...all the decisions and statements in the business world are always well prepared and properly thought through.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 00:53
BSeasoned wrote:
Huh..done with the video essay.. but i couldn't understand what kind of skills they are evaluating through this part of the application.. Even the instructions don't talk anything about looking for certain skills.. I dont think a great business leader or a community leader necessarily needs to give 20 second replies...all the decisions and statements in the business world are always well prepared and properly thought through.

Because most interviews will be conducted by Alums in different locations, I think it's for the adcom to really meet you as a person and get sense of whether you have the personality that would fit the school before they make any decisions

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 01:00
yeeyee wrote:

There's a case of interview waivers... in which the school couldn't match you with any interviewers (could be because you are in a remote location and there's no alums there, or they really just can't). As a re-app, I saw that happen to some people last rounds. The adcom would just start reading your application without the interviewer's note. If they really like you then they will schedule a skype interview with you. If a person get a waiver and don't get called for interview, then that won't bring any good news.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Schools: Yale '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 01:39
BSeasoned wrote:

I disagree. Business leaders need to be able to come up with responses on the fly all the time. Imagine you're Tim Cook and you're attending various interviews, investor calls, meetings, etc. There's absolutely no way you could be prepared for every single potential question. A lot of the questions will catch you by surprise and you need to be able to answer them and represent your brand / company on the spot.

This is not just a Tim Cook level skill, but a skill that is important for all levels of managers and leaders.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 02:01
alphanumericman wrote:
BSeasoned wrote:

I disagree. Business leaders need to be able to come up with responses on the fly all the time. Imagine you're Tim Cook and you're attending various interviews, investor calls, meetings, etc. There's absolutely no way you could be prepared for every single potential question. A lot of the questions will catch you by surprise and you need to be able to answer them and represent your brand / company on the spot.

This is not just a Tim Cook level skill, but a skill that is important for all levels of managers and leaders.

True. But situations you are talking about come with properly set context. Besides, real in-person interviews replicate such situations anyway. Interviewer can always ask unexpected random questions and check your ability to respond even without having 20 seconds for preparation. My only point is I didn't understand what ADDITIONAL skills the video round evaluates. The ability to give impromptu response is something that gets checked anyway in the real interviews. The only possible reason i see as indicated in one of the responses above is that adcoms want to see us in person. but if thats the only reason, they could have asked us to just introduce ourselves in a minute or something.

Intern
Intern

Schools: Yale '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 04:43
BSeasoned wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
BSeasoned wrote:

True. But situations you are talking about come with properly set context. Besides, real in-person interviews replicate such situations anyway. Interviewer can always ask unexpected random questions and check your ability to respond even without having 20 seconds for preparation. My only point is I didn't understand what ADDITIONAL skills the video round evaluates. The ability to give impromptu response is something that gets checked anyway in the real interviews. The only possible reason i see as indicated in one of the responses above is that adcoms want to see us in person. but if thats the only reason, they could have asked us to just introduce ourselves in a minute or something.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. True. The video doesn't provide much additional insight over and above the interview. My best guess is that adcom wants to evaluate your ability to give impromptu responses directly rather than relying on the alumni interviewer. Just a guess.

Consortium Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 15:35
I completed my video questions and I could be wrong but I think what they're looking for is less answer focused but rather if you can communicate effectively. My goal was to not crack under pressure but remain calm even when my storytelling was challenging. My focus was to remain conversational even when my answer for each question wasn't readily available.

Granted there's no one directly on the receiving end, but I think once you do well on this, they'll say ok this candidate with thrive in Kellogg's highly collaborative academic environment. From experiencing Kellogg professors in action, I've very much learned how much they focus on a dialogue as their preferred means of instruction. Other MBA programs I've visited exercised much more of a lecture based discussion. For me, Kellogg's professors taught the right amount to help everyone understand and then began moderating between students. You want to be able to prove that you can speak up in class and offer insights. I personally think it's less answer focused because you'll learn the material in the academic setting.

Good luck, everyone!

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.77

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 16:01
First time poster, long-time reader.

Just received my Skype interview invitation. I imagine nearly everyone receives one, but alerting the forum since slots are taken up on a first come, first serve basis.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 16:55
Today I was told by admissions that off-campus interviews take so long to schedule because they try to match you with an alum in your area from a industry or function that you are interested in. Pretty cool!

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 23:50
I got a skype interview invite too! Weird part is I'm going to complete my video essays only today. I suppose a very large percentage of candidates receive the invites

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 00:07
vishal205 wrote:
I got a skype interview invite too! Weird part is I'm going to complete my video essays only today. I suppose a very large percentage of candidates receive the invites

Congrats buddy! Can you tell me when did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 02:55
I got the email invite this morning

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 03:43
vishal205 wrote:

Hi Vishal, are you aware that everyone at Kellogg gets an interview? They place a lot of emphasis on fit with their school, culture, values.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 03:50
vishal205 wrote:
I got the email invite this morning

Ahh cool. Are you based out of India?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 03:51
Yes I am aware of that. But I'm from India and I hear a lot of Indian candidates have their interviews waived. I have friends who applied last year and didn't get invites.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 04:39
Got an invite! Had submitted video essay only today.

I had applied for the MMM btw

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G

Kudos [?]: 15450 [0], given: 1944

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 04:41
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
vishal205 wrote:

Hi Vishal, are you aware that everyone at Kellogg gets an interview? They place a lot of emphasis on fit with their school, culture, values.

That's actually not true. Kellogg tries to interview everyone but it obviously hangs on the number of applications.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 15450 [0], given: 1944

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 05:10
souvik101990 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
vishal205 wrote:

That's actually not true. Kellogg tries to interview everyone but it obviously hangs on the number of applications.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I spoke to a couple of friends in with 700 plus gmat scores and great profiles and they didn't get invites the previous year so i'm not sure.. but thanks for the info !

Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2016, 05:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  38    Next  [ 748 posts ]