Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 18:50 It is currently 16 May 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.31
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.27
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Just finished with my skype interview with 2nd year student. Very structured questions he asked.At the same time, he was very co-operative giving me leeway to steer conversation in direction I wanted. Was good experience in totality. Now fingers crossed for admissions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am a waitlisted applicant from round 1(Without an interview). It is indeed flustering that I have not heard from them yet. Is there any waitlisted applicant here who has been asked for an update by McCombs?

I have significantly strengthened my profile since I applied, and I am dying to let the panel know about it, but do you think I'll be doing more harm than good if I send in an update when they did not ask for one?

Here is what Claudia, Managing Director of Admissionado, had to say about the matter:
McComb's WL it is pretty tricky - because they really discourage applicants from sending updates unless they specifically asked for them. So if you haven't already confirmed your spot on the WL, that would be the first step - but besides that there isn't a whole lot else you can do in terms of unsolicited updates. If you personally know someone close to the program that can drop a quick line to the adcom on you, that might work...or if you have the opportunity to make a visit to the school in the coming weeks - without too much trouble...that could help, but all of it needs to be done with a delicate touch since you don't want to come off as too pushy.

What do you think? Should I just sit and wait until they ask for an update? or send them one anyway?

saritdeb wrote:
Sid6 wrote:
Any news for waitlisted R1 candidates? I suppose we can hear some movement after the R1 response deadline of 12 feb. Also, with R2 being last round for international students there should ve movement latest by april-end.. after april it will anyways be too late for visa process.. any views ?

Posted from my mobile device

If u have been interviewed, then maybe some hope.

For us who were waitlisted without interview, I dont think there is any point in looking forward to McCombs anymore.
My 2 cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
If its very significant then you can email them and ask whether or not you can share. It wont go against you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
If its very significant then you can email them and ask whether or not you can share. It wont go against you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Work Experience Quantity vs. Quality: Which Is Preferred By MBA Admissions?

Sometimes more is better. Like chocolate, vacation days and itemized tax deductions. But sometimes more is NOT better, like saturated fat, bills and dental work. The key is how you look at it. Admissions officers tend to look at things as if they were holding a Libra Scale, especially when considering work experience on your MBA application. On one side, there’s raw number of years (quantity), on the other is your job description (quality).

Quantity
Wonderful! You are the CEO of a mid-size corporation. Oh, it’s your first week on the job?…okay, well still that’s an amazing accomplishment and congrats on the promotion, but perhaps you’d still admit that your knowledge and expertise in such a new position wouldn’t be as developed as say someone who has been doing it for a few years, right? Being a CEO is great, but being a GOOD CEO is even better.

Same goes the other way, too. Have you been in the same job for 10 years? Wow! Congrats on keeping your resume neat and tidy and no doubt you are the go-to person for all the ins and outs of that role, but could it mean that perhaps you didn’t take as much initiative or demonstrate leadership qualities required to launch you to the next level?

Or, perhaps you have only had a project management job for a year’s time, but in that time you’ve produced measurable results, saved clients money and heartache, improved processes and efficiency, demonstrated leadership, took on more responsibility outside your pay-grade and excelled throughout. That circumstance would make it easy for us to say to heck with quantity, quality is what counts here.

Quality
The other side of the Libra Scale is quality of work experience. A Chief Operating Officer title sounds pretty impressive, but were you a COO of a cat fashion show? Not to say that being a COO of a cat fashion show isn’t a real job (in fact that sounds pretty cool), but an impressive title with naught to back it up won’t move the needle in your favor when it comes to work experience.

On the flip side, something as ordinary as an “Account Manager” title may sound boring to the lay-person, but may actually be pretty exciting. Don’t let us make assumptions. Take every opportunity on your MBA application to illustrate just WHAT about your job made your experience rich and rewarding.

The takeaway on work experience: quality and quantity are not, by themselves, deciding factors.

Photo by winnifredxoxo
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just received my Invite but all the slots to get interviewed personally are booked for Mumbai :( .... should i go for Skype or alum?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
So Round 1 guys : From your experience, around when should I start worrying if I don't have an interview invite for McCombs in Round 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Gmat1008 wrote:
Just received my Invite but all the slots to get interviewed personally are booked for Mumbai :( .... should i go for Skype or alum?

Doesn't matter. Go ahead and block whatever suits you the best. And start preparing.

I first tried contacting an Alumni in my city, but he was too slow in his replies and it was Diwali time. Skype slots were filling in fast in the meantime, so I just went ahead with a Skype call with current student. I'm glad I did. The 2nd year student was really warm and friendly, and I have got an admit too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
Kudos
nitishgera wrote:
So Round 1 guys : From your experience, around when should I start worrying if I don't have an interview invite for McCombs in Round 2.

I applied last year. A majority of the invites had gone out within a month, most of them coming in the three weeks after the deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I have been invited to Interview in R2. I am seriously considering travelling from India to Austin for the interview as I want to give it my best. Do you think this will increase my chances of an admit? I understand that it wont guarantee an admit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
There is no way that is worth the time and money.
karthikkkr wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have been invited to Interview in R2. I am seriously considering travelling from India to Austin for the interview as I want to give it my best. Do you think this will increase my chances of an admit? I understand that it wont guarantee an admit.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
karthikkkr wrote:
Hi Guys,

I would definitely consider it if I had the time and the money...and an invite :roll:

On a serious note : Compared to the larger scheme of things a 4 day/$1500 trip to the U.S. is a small investment when you consider the possible positive outcome. The school would definitely make a note of your effort.
Having said that, there may not be a need for such an investment of time/money if you are confident enough with your story. So my suggestion for you will be to concentrate on bringing your absolute A-game to the interview rather than worrying about planning a whirlwind U.S. trip.
Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
nitishgera wrote:
karthikkkr wrote:
Hi Guys,

I would definitely consider it if I had the time and the money...and an invite :roll:

On a serious note : Compared to the larger scheme of things a 4 day/$1500 trip to the U.S. is a small investment when you consider the possible positive outcome. The school would definitely make a note of your effort.
Having said that, there may not be a need for such an investment of time/money if you are confident enough with your story. So my suggestion for you will be to concentrate on bringing your absolute A-game to the interview rather than worrying about planning a whirlwind U.S. trip.
Best of luck!

There's no way it's just $1500 to travel from India for four days. I'm travelling from Canada and it's $1350 for 3 nights and airfare.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rbsx wrote:
nitishgera wrote:
karthikkkr wrote:
Hi Guys,

Best of luck!

There's no way it's just $1500 to travel from India for four days. I'm travelling from Canada and it's $1350 for 3 nights and airfare.

Thats surprising because I checked and it's $1300(give or take) for 4 nights and airfare (from Mumbai, India)

Link : https://bit.ly/1AjUBYY
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I am a R1 admit from India. Driven by the cost impact (high interest rate on education loan + collateral requirement), lack of international student loan and a not-so significant scholarship from the school, I am forced to consider not matriculating at McCombs. But I want to pursue my MBA from McCombs. Could other Indian Students who are raising loan please PM me...want to discuss some specifics about the loan.

I also have a US co-signee but upon checking with private lenders I have "discover"ed that I need to have I-20 to apply for loan. But I need the financial supporting doc to get the I-20...running in circles...kinda of stuck...any suggestions!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a round 2 applicant and applied on the deadline date for Round 2.

GMAT 700, GPA 3.1, Engineering Background

Just wondering if anyone who applied on the deadline date has heard back yet?

Thanks,

Mike
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
mpkrell
I submitted my app on deadline day and got the interview invite a couple of weeks back.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  49   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts