GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 00:55
DZAR01 wrote:
Submitted ! For those applying in R2 don't underestimate this application, I found the essays to be the most difficult of all the schools I applied to - particularly trying to craft a compelling narrative for the "nice" essay.


Agreed. I really struggled with the Tuck essays.
Only 50 words for short and long term goals and 75 for how you arrived at them.

Then suddenly 500 words for what you will contribute and 500 words about a time you were nice?

I suspect applications to Tuck will drop a bit this year just because of how much effort is required for these essays vs Tucks peer schools
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 24
Schools: Tuck '21
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 06:21
Eurotrash34 wrote:
DZAR01 wrote:
Submitted ! For those applying in R2 don't underestimate this application, I found the essays to be the most difficult of all the schools I applied to - particularly trying to craft a compelling narrative for the "nice" essay.


Agreed. I really struggled with the Tuck essays.
Only 50 words for short and long term goals and 75 for how you arrived at them.

Then suddenly 500 words for what you will contribute and 500 words about a time you were nice?

I suspect applications to Tuck will drop a bit this year just because of how much effort is required for these essays vs Tucks peer schools


Actually, I believe Tuck is among the few (if not the only) top B-schools that had the number of application increased last year. Tuck's focus on "nice" is also not something new, it's just they are trying to emphasis it on application process this year. I highly encourage you to reach out to current Tuckies, visit campus, and talk with Admission Officers, you might change your perception.

With respect to the goal essays, I agree 50 and 75 might not be a lot of words but at every single B-school, they all expect (or at least prefer) you to know exactly what you want to get out of the program and have a clear plan to achieve that. And those essays will really help you to prepare for your interview really well trust me.
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1446
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 12:45
Eurotrash34 wrote:
DZAR01 wrote:
Submitted ! For those applying in R2 don't underestimate this application, I found the essays to be the most difficult of all the schools I applied to - particularly trying to craft a compelling narrative for the "nice" essay.


Agreed. I really struggled with the Tuck essays.
Only 50 words for short and long term goals and 75 for how you arrived at them.

Then suddenly 500 words for what you will contribute and 500 words about a time you were nice?

I suspect applications to Tuck will drop a bit this year just because of how much effort is required for these essays vs Tucks peer schools



Tuck has always had an overwhelmingly long application.
They have removed some questions this year, like the on one your international experiences and how that affected your world view - that used to be a 300 word question until last year.

Yes, the career goals essay in this format is a new one. No harm in writing shorter goals statements. Most applicants write nonrelevant stuff when that question has a bigger word limit, so now they will have to think harder, but hopefully they will write better.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 14:31
Tuck has always been transparent about its expectation on goals/essays, more so than just about any other business schools out there.

Here is the link to Tuck Admission Director Luke's insights on Short Answer Questions: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/blog/ ... -responses
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 18:19
Tuck interview invites are out
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 May 2017
Posts: 12
Location: Virgin Islands (U.S.)
Schools: Kellogg '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 22:43
Does Tuck invite everyone/ most people to interview? How many interview invites (percentage?) are sent out? Until how long can we expect to receive an invitation?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 00:25
2
GMATAspire290 wrote:
Does Tuck invite everyone/ most people to interview? How many interview invites (percentage?) are sent out? Until how long can we expect to receive an invitation?


Everyone can interview through the open interview policy.
However adcoms will invite people,who have not scheduled an open interview, to interview just like other schools do.

Im not sure of the % who get adcom initiated interviews. Maybe someone else can chime in
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 24
Schools: Tuck '21
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 07:13
Anyone here going to the Tuck DivCo this year in Nov? Excited to be there and pretty sure it's gonna be a great time for people who decided to interview with Tuck on that day.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 20:17
Who has done the interview?

Anyone care to share their experiences?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 07:17
1
We have an interview debrief section here. I believe someone did the on campus interview on Sep 17. You can check it out.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Nov 2017
Posts: 2
WE: Asset Management (Law)
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 09:50
tvpwc wrote:
Anyone here going to the Tuck DivCo this year in Nov? Excited to be there and pretty sure it's gonna be a great time for people who decided to interview with Tuck on that day.


I am! I very much look forward to visiting. Have you received any updates on the itinerary or details on accommodations? I wonder if booking a hotel is an option despite Tuck graciously offering accommodations with a student.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 24
Schools: Tuck '21
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 10:17
JDEbony85 wrote:
tvpwc wrote:
Anyone here going to the Tuck DivCo this year in Nov? Excited to be there and pretty sure it's gonna be a great time for people who decided to interview with Tuck on that day.


I am! I very much look forward to visiting. Have you received any updates on the itinerary or details on accommodations? I wonder if booking a hotel is an option despite Tuck graciously offering accommodations with a student.


I haven't but I think the team will send updates soon. I personally prefer to stay in the dorm to experience student's lifestyle but if you prefer to stay in the hotel, I think you can just email them and then maybe book a room at Hannover Inc.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 20:43
How much do you think doing my interview on campus would impact my chance of admission?

I'm currently in Japan and have been invited to interview. I'm considering heading to hanover to do my interview but flights are expensive and it's a 14 hour flight.

Do you think it would increase my odds at all?
Darden & Kenan Flagler Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Posts: 107
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 21:09
1
Eurotrash34 wrote:
How much do you think doing my interview on campus would impact my chance of admission?

I'm currently in Japan and have been invited to interview. I'm considering heading to hanover to do my interview but flights are expensive and it's a 14 hour flight.

Do you think it would increase my odds at all?


If you've been invited to campus don't bother, unless you have a lot of disposable income. I'd only recommend visiting campus if you want a 100% chance of getting an interview, but since you've been invited, you don't need to worry about that. Ace the interview on Skype or in Japan and save your money!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 21:42
Amaranth wrote:
Eurotrash34 wrote:
How much do you think doing my interview on campus would impact my chance of admission?

I'm currently in Japan and have been invited to interview. I'm considering heading to hanover to do my interview but flights are expensive and it's a 14 hour flight.

Do you think it would increase my odds at all?


If you've been invited to campus don't bother, unless you have a lot of disposable income. I'd only recommend visiting campus if you want a 100% chance of getting an interview, but since you've been invited, you don't need to worry about that. Ace the interview on Skype or in Japan and save your money!


I wouldn't say money is a problem. Tuck is my number 1 school and I want to show that I am committed to going there. I think visiting the school from half way around the world would show that I am committed to Tuck and be looked upon favorably by adocms no?
Darden & Kenan Flagler Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Posts: 107
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 07:47
Eurotrash34 wrote:
Amaranth wrote:
Eurotrash34 wrote:
How much do you think doing my interview on campus would impact my chance of admission?

I'm currently in Japan and have been invited to interview. I'm considering heading to hanover to do my interview but flights are expensive and it's a 14 hour flight.

Do you think it would increase my odds at all?


If you've been invited to campus don't bother, unless you have a lot of disposable income. I'd only recommend visiting campus if you want a 100% chance of getting an interview, but since you've been invited, you don't need to worry about that. Ace the interview on Skype or in Japan and save your money!


I wouldn't say money is a problem. Tuck is my number 1 school and I want to show that I am committed to going there. I think visiting the school from half way around the world would show that I am committed to Tuck and be looked upon favorably by adocms no?

Well, I just visited Tuck yesterday, and yes, they do look favorably upon people who make the trip down. The thing is, you're going to be spending over 2k dollars for just 1 interview. If you think its worth it, go for it. I'd still try and combine it with 2-3 other class visits, or possibly other interviews if you can.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:09
I just pulled a paragraph directly from Tuck's website:

Which Interviews Are Valued More?

All interviews carry equal importance in our evaluation process, regardless of who conducts the interview, where it is held, or how it was initiated.

I will take Tuck's statement at face value.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 24
Schools: Tuck '21
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:57
I would encourage everyone to interview on campus if you can, as Tuck is a very special school, in which it really focuses on the "fit" factor. If you interview on campus, that's an opportunity to see for yourself if you would enjoy studying and living there with a close knit community for 2 years. Not everyone wants to be in Upper Valley for business school I understand, but I can definitely say the people ended up going there (myself included - for interview), they loved it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2017
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V44
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 10:28
Did anyone receive an email confirming that your application was complete and under review?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Japan
GPA: 1
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 18:10
Amaranth wrote:
Well, I just visited Tuck yesterday, and yes, they do look favorably upon people who make the trip down. The thing is, you're going to be spending over 2k dollars for just 1 interview. If you think its worth it, go for it. I'd still try and combine it with 2-3 other class visits, or possibly other interviews if you can.



Can you share a bit more about your experience in your vist to Tuck?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 18:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 67 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.