GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Tuck '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 08:02

!
This thread is the master profile evaluations thread for Tuck applications only. We do not want random profile evaluation threads everywhere on the forum. This will help people get some consolidated (and free :P ) advice from consultants and help others learn as well.

Post your profile here if you want!

Suggested Template

Background and nationality
Undergrad Information
GMAT:
Work experience and leadership
Community and others
Post MBA goals
Anything else?


Hello everyone - thanks in advance

Hello everyone - thanks in advance for any insight!

Age - 31 (2005 college grad)
Gender - Male
Nationality – Indian

Education – Engineering graduate from an Indian university
GPA - 3.1 or 3.2
GMAT2 - 670 (Q47, V35)
GMAT1 610(Q49, V26)

Work experience –
Working in corporate office of government owned utility Company.
Part of team drafting renewable energy policies and Electricity tariff related matter.
Worked with regulator in energy sector.
Worked for the company in rural India serving the rural consumer.
well aware with socioeconomic condition of rural India. Handled a team of 8 people (only for six months)
Recs/stories -
Created a model for solar pump based utility service in for Agricultural supply. (Model was appreciated but not approved by management).
After completion of MBA, want to bring many such models into practice.

Extracurricular-
- worked for 2 different volunteer organizations
- worked (6 years) extensively during collage days, managing daily gathering/camps of the organization, managed similar activates when migrated to a different city.
-Motivated other people to join the organization.
Played a flute in band of the organization.
Part of many actives requiring organizational skill and interpersonal skill
While working with other organization, I carried out voter enrollment drive at workplace and at residential colony.
Conducted traffic awareness initiative

Plans for after school-
start a Social enterprise
Want to bring the solar pump franchisee model, discussed earlier, into reality with the help of similarly inspired fellow MBA student.
Want to bring many such models into reality.

Help other people to be social entrepreneur, if they have good ideas

Want to join the tuck because -
it has strong emphasis on community.
Want to nurture leadership to start a social enterprise
( Met with tuck alumni who started community based travel service. )
Tuck is only one of the few institutes who has focus on India
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 23:08
your extra curriculars are excellent!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1097
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2014, 03:09
Your background and extra curricular are very interesting and support your objective post-MBA, we don't have too many people in that category, I think your GMAT is fine and you would be a good candidate.
_________________

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Tuck '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2014, 09:25
Antmavel wrote:
Your background and extra curricular are very interesting and support your objective post-MBA, we don't have too many people in that category, I think your GMAT is fine and you would be a good candidate.

thanks, a lot Antoine . I applied to tuck two days back. can i expect a call for interview.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 11:04
Please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.
Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Havard & Stanford I believe are too high an expectation given my normal profile. Whether I would be fit for Columbia, Kellog, Yale or Ross?

Once again thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 16:30
Thanks in advance:

Not really sure if to go apply for tuck or Yale
International applicant
Took the GMAT twice and landed at 690 both times - weak on verbal
GMAT: 690 (48Q,36V)
GPA: B (calculates to around ~3.0-3.3 gpa)
Undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences from a top University (outside US)

3 years experience in a f500 biotech company in pricing

Lots of healthcare related EC
Short-term goal: consulting in HC
Long-term goal: start a boutique HC consultancy
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 20:17
Hi all, first post and using OPs structure

Age - 27
Gender - Male
Nationality – Indian

Education – Computer Engineering & Economics graduate from NUS (Singapore)
GPA - 2.88 (explained in optional essay, had a one very rough semester), (3.2 without that sem, 3.3 in graduating semester)
GMAT1: 770 (Q50, V47)

Work experience –
MBB Singapore, promoted once - focus has been on fintech and fin services
Investment management firm - promoted once

Extracurricular-
- (3 years) Started an informal investing club with 25 members. 9% returns annually since 2015, $500,000 in AUM
- (5 years) Start-up consulting
- (7 years) Tutoring - used this to pay my way through college
- A bunch of leadership positions in college too - captain of tennis team, executive committee in a club

Plans for after school-
- Return to Singapore in a corp strat position advising on fintech strategies

Why Tuck:
Strong tech focus
Traditional emphasis on consulting/strategy
Tight knit community / environment
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1353
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 00:18
Tiger03 wrote:
Please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.
Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Havard & Stanford I believe are too high an expectation given my normal profile. Whether I would be fit for Columbia, Kellog, Yale or Ross?

Once again thank you for your help.


Hi,

I gather you are planning to apply in 2018 as you have still not taken GMAT and there hardly seems to be anytime now with the deadlines on our heads.
you have a good profile. Oil and industry/ operations experience is valuable in terms of the impact you can make and also showcase leadership capabilities.
You will have to connect the dots between your post MBA goals and your past work experience. what kind of M&A roles are you talking about?
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1353
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 02:17
ownersinc wrote:
Hi all, first post and using OPs structure

Age - 27
Gender - Male
Nationality – Indian

Education – Computer Engineering & Economics graduate from NUS (Singapore)
GPA - 2.88 (explained in optional essay, had a one very rough semester), (3.2 without that sem, 3.3 in graduating semester)
GMAT1: 770 (Q50, V47)

Work experience –
MBB Singapore, promoted once - focus has been on fintech and fin services
Investment management firm - promoted once

Extracurricular-
- (3 years) Started an informal investing club with 25 members. 9% returns annually since 2015, $500,000 in AUM
- (5 years) Start-up consulting
- (7 years) Tutoring - used this to pay my way through college
- A bunch of leadership positions in college too - captain of tennis team, executive committee in a club

Plans for after school-
- Return to Singapore in a corp strat position advising on fintech strategies

Why Tuck:
Strong tech focus
Traditional emphasis on consulting/strategy
Tight knit community / environment


You have a good profile. All the best for your application. I guess you are submitting today
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:37
Hi - thanks for writing! While both close-knit top MBA programs, Yale and Tuck have different cultures, environments, and offerings, so speak with as many students/alum as possible to gain insights on these. Each school is quite competitive, so try your best to boost the GMAT to 700+. Also, are you involved in any extracurriculars/activities outside of work? If so, this would boost your applications.


mbiotech wrote:
Thanks in advance:

Not really sure if to go apply for tuck or Yale
International applicant
Took the GMAT twice and landed at 690 both times - weak on verbal
GMAT: 690 (48Q,36V)
GPA: B (calculates to around ~3.0-3.3 gpa)
Undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences from a top University (outside US)

3 years experience in a f500 biotech company in pricing

Lots of healthcare related EC
Short-term goal: consulting in HC
Long-term goal: start a boutique HC consultancy

_________________

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 20:06
Hi everyone! I'm currently doing my research on MBA programs, and would appreciate some feedback on my current profile. I try my best to adhere to the suggested template; however, some information may be all jumbled together. My apologies in advance.

Background and nationality: I am Chinese Indonesian and I was born in Indonesia. I moved to Germany after high school and spent 4 years studying there (1 year language, 1 year college prep, 2 years at TU Berlin studying Energy and Process Engineering, which I did not finish due to financial hardship and family issues). I moved to the U.S. for better opportunities. I came here on a student visa to go to a community college, where I earned my A.A. in Mathematics and Natural Sciences. 3 years upon my arrival I was granted political asylum and 5 years later I became a citizen of the U.S. During those years, I could not afford a 4 year degree, and I was working as a Chemist for an environmental lab when I realized that I did not want to work in a lab setting for the rest of my life. I pursued an undergrad in Accountancy at a Cal State while also working full time at the lab, and graduated within 1.5 years.

Undergrad Information: A.A. GPA 3.5. B.S. GPA 4.

GMAT: 630 (Q44, V33).

Work experience and leadership: 10 years as a Chemist, 4 of which as a group leader for my department. Responsibilities include sample analysis, instrument troubleshoot, data review, creating reports, internal audit, developing standard operating procedures.

Community and others: none.

Post MBA goals: Would like to get into consulting.

Anything else? Will obtain CPA license.

Thank you!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 13:32
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have an intriguing profile. Given Tuck's competitiveness, I would aim for a higher GMAT (700+). In your application, you'll want to make a strong case for 1. why you want to transition into a consulting career from a sciences career and 2. why Tuck is the best fit for you.

Hope that helps - please let me know what other questions I can help answer! :)


txstats wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm currently doing my research on MBA programs, and would appreciate some feedback on my current profile. I try my best to adhere to the suggested template; however, some information may be all jumbled together. My apologies in advance.

Background and nationality: I am Chinese Indonesian and I was born in Indonesia. I moved to Germany after high school and spent 4 years studying there (1 year language, 1 year college prep, 2 years at TU Berlin studying Energy and Process Engineering, which I did not finish due to financial hardship and family issues). I moved to the U.S. for better opportunities. I came here on a student visa to go to a community college, where I earned my A.A. in Mathematics and Natural Sciences. 3 years upon my arrival I was granted political asylum and 5 years later I became a citizen of the U.S. During those years, I could not afford a 4 year degree, and I was working as a Chemist for an environmental lab when I realized that I did not want to work in a lab setting for the rest of my life. I pursued an undergrad in Accountancy at a Cal State while also working full time at the lab, and graduated within 1.5 years.

Undergrad Information: A.A. GPA 3.5. B.S. GPA 4.

GMAT: 630 (Q44, V33).

Work experience and leadership: 10 years as a Chemist, 4 of which as a group leader for my department. Responsibilities include sample analysis, instrument troubleshoot, data review, creating reports, internal audit, developing standard operating procedures.

Community and others: none.

Post MBA goals: Would like to get into consulting.

Anything else? Will obtain CPA license.

Thank you!

_________________

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1375
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 15:24
txstats wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm currently doing my research on MBA programs, and would appreciate some feedback on my current profile. I try my best to adhere to the suggested template; however, some information may be all jumbled together. My apologies in advance.

Background and nationality: I am Chinese Indonesian and I was born in Indonesia. I moved to Germany after high school and spent 4 years studying there (1 year language, 1 year college prep, 2 years at TU Berlin studying Energy and Process Engineering, which I did not finish due to financial hardship and family issues). I moved to the U.S. for better opportunities. I came here on a student visa to go to a community college, where I earned my A.A. in Mathematics and Natural Sciences. 3 years upon my arrival I was granted political asylum and 5 years later I became a citizen of the U.S. During those years, I could not afford a 4 year degree, and I was working as a Chemist for an environmental lab when I realized that I did not want to work in a lab setting for the rest of my life. I pursued an undergrad in Accountancy at a Cal State while also working full time at the lab, and graduated within 1.5 years.

Undergrad Information: A.A. GPA 3.5. B.S. GPA 4.

GMAT: 630 (Q44, V33).

Work experience and leadership: 10 years as a Chemist, 4 of which as a group leader for my department. Responsibilities include sample analysis, instrument troubleshoot, data review, creating reports, internal audit, developing standard operating procedures.

Community and others: none.

Post MBA goals: Would like to get into consulting.

Anything else? Will obtain CPA license.
your story is an impressive resilience story-- and it may be that you can get some interest with that.
Be aware however, that you are coming from a pool where GMAT scores are high-- so that 630 is not going to really stand above the crowd-- now GMAT and scores are not everything- and especially at a place like Tuck that has a strong collaborative culture and looks holistically-- but if the GMAT is lower-- think about what is higher? your work experience?
your GPA? your international experience? Your passion for Tuck? Really think like adcom here and identify what is your best asset-- and make sure that comes out in the application and essay process. If you want help looking at your profile in more depth to get a sense of where you stand out-- you can reach out to us for a free consult at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you!

_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 16:09
It seems that my low GMAT score is a common theme here, and I agree that I need to get a 700+ to have a better shot at top programs.
Thank you all for the constructive feedback!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 19:20
Hi all, Tuck is my dream school based on a lot of different factors. I've got a slightly unique background / accomplishments, but I'm not sure how these play into the eyes of an admissions committee. Also, I'm quite interested in finding a good culture fit, seeing as this is what I'll be doing for 2 years or so and I think Tuck would be the ideal place for me. Planning to apply in Consortium Round 1 this fall 2018, matriculating fall 2019. Any and all advice or opinions are welcome as I am still just attempting to figure out how competitive I may be. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions!

Backgound

Sex: Male (26)

Race/Nationality: Hispanic / USA

GMAT: 710 (45Q/42V), IR 8, AWA 6

Undergraduate: GPA - 3.8, Double majored in Business Economics and Management (Average State School)

Graduate School: Masters degree in environmental economics and rural development, Graduated with "Honors", Earned a "Distinction" for my master's thesis (think Oxford, LSE, Cambridge)

Athletics: The reason I went to the average state school was because I was an ESPN All-American at my sport and the school had a great athletic program. I got a full-ride athletic scholarship and was the captain of my Division-1 team. Ranked an ESPN top-10 recruit coming out of high school, but blew out my ankles / achilles / back freshman and sophomore year, and had to re-evaluate my life plan afterwards. This is the area of my background where I have no idea how much value admissions committees will place on my application.

Extra-curriculars: I have volunteered at an urban farm non-profit for a little over a year. The organization is built to teach low-income children from my city about the importance of farming, responsibility, and hard work. I help build chicken coops / greenhouses / community gardens / etc. there when needed, and am now a field trip leader for groups of children who come and visit the farm. I also have volunteered for a couple years at an urban garden center where I help out with distributing plant seeds and transplants for low-income families to grow food for the season each spring.

Work Experience

Current: Active US government security clearance working for a financial regulator in the agriculture industry. I travel around the US visiting and examining agricultural banks to ensure compliance with federal regulations, and provide consultative-like advice on financial issues that are affecting the bank at that time. I've gotten two promotions within three years of working there, and now am in charge of my own bank that has assets over $500MM. I examine all levels of a bank including: governance, capital levels, asset quality, earnings, liquidity, interest rate sensitivity, internal controls, policies and procedures, etc. We work in a project type management structure, so sometimes I am managing between 10-15 people, and other times I am managing no one. Strong performance appraisals throughout my time at the organization.

Past: Before I was at my current job, I interned in the mayor's office of my city (fairly large capital city) doing sustainability work, and I also had an internship the summer between undergrad and grad school where I worked in Central America for a large multinational agricultural company in the corporate social responsibility department.

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My favorite part of my job is the project management style consultative work we do for the banks we regulate. I'd like to leverage my financial and project management work experience to transition to consulting. Preferably, I'd like to work for a consulting company with a strong agriculture related client base. Also, I'm interested in sustainability and corporate responsibility, so that is something I'm interested in from an MBA program and hopefully a future job.


I love the outdoors (skiing, backpacking, biking) and thrive better when I am in an environment of teamwork and fun rather than ultra competitive. I know Tuck has great access to the outdoors, and plan to join the MBA soccer team for fun.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 11:00
Hello, and thank you for writing! I think that you have the elements of a strong profile, with good academics, progressive and unique work experience, logical goals, and great extracurriculars (FYI, the AdCom will certainly value your D1 athlete status, even though you played only the first two years due to the unfortunate injuries).

It sounds like you potentially could be a very good match for Tuck - I think a key to your candidacy will be executing your application with excellence, which will include getting recommendations that attest to your performance and potential with detailed examples, writing insightful essays, and making a case for why Tuck is a strong match for you professionally and personally. The program greatly values engagement with the school, so make every effort to visit (sign up for the open interview slot on campus early) and talk to students/alumni about their experiences.

I hope that helps a bit! If you'd like to discuss your profile and the application process in more detail, I recommend signing up for a free consultation with me here: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

Best of luck! :)
Nisha




user123456789 wrote:
Hi all, Tuck is my dream school based on a lot of different factors. I've got a slightly unique background / accomplishments, but I'm not sure how these play into the eyes of an admissions committee. Also, I'm quite interested in finding a good culture fit, seeing as this is what I'll be doing for 2 years or so and I think Tuck would be the ideal place for me. Planning to apply in Consortium Round 1 this fall 2018, matriculating fall 2019. Any and all advice or opinions are welcome as I am still just attempting to figure out how competitive I may be. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions!

Backgound

Sex: Male (26)

Race/Nationality: Hispanic / USA

GMAT: 710 (45Q/42V), IR 8, AWA 6

Undergraduate: GPA - 3.8, Double majored in Business Economics and Management (Average State School)

Graduate School: Masters degree in environmental economics and rural development, Graduated with "Honors", Earned a "Distinction" for my master's thesis (think Oxford, LSE, Cambridge)

Athletics: The reason I went to the average state school was because I was an ESPN All-American at my sport and the school had a great athletic program. I got a full-ride athletic scholarship and was the captain of my Division-1 team. Ranked an ESPN top-10 recruit coming out of high school, but blew out my ankles / achilles / back freshman and sophomore year, and had to re-evaluate my life plan afterwards. This is the area of my background where I have no idea how much value admissions committees will place on my application.

Extra-curriculars: I have volunteered at an urban farm non-profit for a little over a year. The organization is built to teach low-income children from my city about the importance of farming, responsibility, and hard work. I help build chicken coops / greenhouses / community gardens / etc. there when needed, and am now a field trip leader for groups of children who come and visit the farm. I also have volunteered for a couple years at an urban garden center where I help out with distributing plant seeds and transplants for low-income families to grow food for the season each spring.

Work Experience

Current: Active US government security clearance working for a financial regulator in the agriculture industry. I travel around the US visiting and examining agricultural banks to ensure compliance with federal regulations, and provide consultative-like advice on financial issues that are affecting the bank at that time. I've gotten two promotions within three years of working there, and now am in charge of my own bank that has assets over $500MM. I examine all levels of a bank including: governance, capital levels, asset quality, earnings, liquidity, interest rate sensitivity, internal controls, policies and procedures, etc. We work in a project type management structure, so sometimes I am managing between 10-15 people, and other times I am managing no one. Strong performance appraisals throughout my time at the organization.

Past: Before I was at my current job, I interned in the mayor's office of my city (fairly large capital city) doing sustainability work, and I also had an internship the summer between undergrad and grad school where I worked in Central America for a large multinational agricultural company in the corporate social responsibility department.

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My favorite part of my job is the project management style consultative work we do for the banks we regulate. I'd like to leverage my financial and project management work experience to transition to consulting. Preferably, I'd like to work for a consulting company with a strong agriculture related client base. Also, I'm interested in sustainability and corporate responsibility, so that is something I'm interested in from an MBA program and hopefully a future job.


I love the outdoors (skiing, backpacking, biking) and thrive better when I am in an environment of teamwork and fun rather than ultra competitive. I know Tuck has great access to the outdoors, and plan to join the MBA soccer team for fun.

_________________

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 22:34
Hi All,

Thank you for keeping this group so active and responsive. I am writing for a profile evaluation as well.

Background and nationality: Indian Male (28 years old)

Undergrad Information:
- Graduated from Delhi University in 2010 in B.A. (Hons) Business Economics discipline with Corporate Finance and Economics as majors.

GMAT:
- Current GMAT 670 (Q 46 V36)
- I have already taken an appointment for a test in June. Let us see if I am able to pull my score up

Work experience and leadership: Total work experience of 80 months bifurcated as below:
- 52 Months (Manager, Boutique Investment Bank in New Delhi). Managed to close 4 deals with ticket size between USD 12 - 45 Million. All cross border deals. Currently managing at of 3 (IB teams are really tight). Got promoted twice in 4 years and most recent one in 15 months. The clients in 3 deals were listed companies in US and Brazil with revenue more than USD 1 Billion. While working on projects I also generate revenue for my company. Last year I generated EUR 120,000

- 17 months (Analyst, Corporate Finance (KPMG). Was a part of valuations team for KPMG supporting US and UK clients

- 11 months (Research Analyst, AON). was a part of the consulting operations team which conducted research on various industries

Community and others:
- Was a part of the a rock band at one of previous employers. We raised some donation money via our performances for underprivileged kids
- Part of Rotary club in India and organized various blood donation drives
- Volunteer at a local NGO called society for prevention of cruelty against animals near my house
- Organized multiple CSR activities at past employers

Post MBA goals:

- Short term: work as an associate at a big bulge IB firm with sector (automotive) or geography (emerging markets) focus
- Long term: move towards buy side in a PE or VC firm or work in corporate strategy profile at big conglomerate

Anything else?: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) from the institute in Virginia, USA

I know my GMAT is a little low in comparison to Asian (especially to Indian) average, I am working towards improving that right now, but I would appreciate your feedback on rest of my profile.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
VDC
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 18:38
1
Hi VDC - thank you for writing! It's great that you're retaking the GMAT - for Indian male applicants, AdComs have high standards for GMAT so I'd aim for 720+

Regarding the rest of your profile - you have strong and progressive work experience that ties in nicely with your goals, and good extracurricular involvement, which will help your chances with Tuck. A couple of keys to your candidacy: 1. make sure that in your application, you communicate why Tuck is a strong fit for you based on its culture and offerings within/outside of the classroom 2. explain the motivations behind your goals - what do you enjoy about banking/finance and what drives your ST and LT goals? 3. communicate your professional/extracurricular impact on your resume

Hope that helps!
Nisha



VijayDinanathChauhan wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you for keeping this group so active and responsive. I am writing for a profile evaluation as well.

Background and nationality: Indian Male (28 years old)

Undergrad Information:
- Graduated from Delhi University in 2010 in B.A. (Hons) Business Economics discipline with Corporate Finance and Economics as majors.

GMAT:
- Current GMAT 670 (Q 46 V36)
- I have already taken an appointment for a test in June. Let us see if I am able to pull my score up

Work experience and leadership: Total work experience of 80 months bifurcated as below:
- 52 Months (Manager, Boutique Investment Bank in New Delhi). Managed to close 4 deals with ticket size between USD 12 - 45 Million. All cross border deals. Currently managing at of 3 (IB teams are really tight). Got promoted twice in 4 years and most recent one in 15 months. The clients in 3 deals were listed companies in US and Brazil with revenue more than USD 1 Billion. While working on projects I also generate revenue for my company. Last year I generated EUR 120,000

- 17 months (Analyst, Corporate Finance (KPMG). Was a part of valuations team for KPMG supporting US and UK clients

- 11 months (Research Analyst, AON). was a part of the consulting operations team which conducted research on various industries

Community and others:
- Was a part of the a rock band at one of previous employers. We raised some donation money via our performances for underprivileged kids
- Part of Rotary club in India and organized various blood donation drives
- Volunteer at a local NGO called society for prevention of cruelty against animals near my house
- Organized multiple CSR activities at past employers

Post MBA goals:

- Short term: work as an associate at a big bulge IB firm with sector (automotive) or geography (emerging markets) focus
- Long term: move towards buy side in a PE or VC firm or work in corporate strategy profile at big conglomerate

Anything else?: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) from the institute in Virginia, USA

I know my GMAT is a little low in comparison to Asian (especially to Indian) average, I am working towards improving that right now, but I would appreciate your feedback on rest of my profile.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
VDC

_________________

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 21:06
Hi Nisha, thank you for your feedback. I forgot to mention one query and it is not a tuck specific query, but a generic one.

By the time I matriculate in any institution next year I’ll be 29. I know age plays a role in MBA but does it play a make or break sort of role ? Especially if one is 27+ ?

Also, are there any b schools which prefer more experienced candidates than rest of the schools do ?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 15:58
Hi VDC - I wouldn't say age is make-or-break, as adcoms are looking for the strongest candidates overall. So, many top schools are receptive to older applicants, but a few that particularly come to mind are Fuqua, Ross, Cornell, and Tuck. Hope that helps!


VijayDinanathChauhan wrote:
Hi Nisha, thank you for your feedback. I forgot to mention one query and it is not a tuck specific query, but a generic one.

By the time I matriculate in any institution next year I’ll be 29. I know age plays a role in MBA but does it play a make or break sort of role ? Especially if one is 27+ ?

Also, are there any b schools which prefer more experienced candidates than rest of the schools do ?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

_________________

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here &nbs [#permalink] 26 Apr 2018, 15:58

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.