GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 02:14

INSEAD R1 Results This Week!

First Decision Reported on Decision Tracker  |  Join INSEAD Chat to Calm Your Nerves & Catch the Latest Action


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Schools: Haas '21 (II)
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 13:11
Well, I cannot wait for December 6th to find out decisions!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2018
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 13:30
Best of luck to you! I will be applying there next year and from what I’ve seen of the school thus far, I love it!

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 5801
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:15
helloeveryonee wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like activity here is muted compared to prior years? Are lesser people applying?


Activity is certainly not muted here. May be the current crop of Tuck applicants are less willing to discuss/share updates with other applicants compare to the folks applying in prior years.
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]


Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '21 (I)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 08:26
I guess as an R1 applicant from India I should give up hope of receiving an interview invite, then?
LBS, Yale, & Tuck Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 23:40
Hi guys. I just finished my interview and class visit today.
Ill be sure to write up my experiences soon.

In summary, It was a fantastic experience and I highly encourage international applicants to visit Hanover!
_________________

MY MBA Journey
https://fromaus2mba.wordpress.com

MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 1002
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 00:01
AUSJ wrote:
Hi guys. I just finished my interview and class visit today.
Ill be sure to write up my experiences soon.

In summary, It was a fantastic experience and I highly encourage international applicants to visit Hanover!


AUSJ Looking forward to the write-up. Can you also add your interview debrief here? https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-194/int ... brief.html

Thanks.
_________________

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

LBS, Yale, & Tuck Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 04:02
2
Adcom initiated interview debrief

Getting there

I took the dartmouth coach up from Boston early in the morning. The ride was around 3 hours total and was fairly pleasant. The coach was surprisingly comfortable with wifi, toilet and reclining seats.
I highly recommend the coach if you're coming from Boston or NYC, however make sure you get your tickets in advance. Both my ride to and from Hanover were sold out the prior day. Luckily I got my tickets a week before hand. I arrived in the afternoon and was tired so didn’t do much the night before the interview. Read over some notes quickly and tried to chill out with netflix and some herb tea

The morning

My day was scheduled to start at 8 30 am with a class visit and applicants expected to arrive at the admissions office around 8 15.
Due to jet lag, I was up at 5am so had plenty of time to get up and get some breakfast from Lou’s Bakery(highly recommended by the way). After eating I went for a walk around the campus and familiarised myself with where Tuck was on campus so I wouldn’t get lost. I ended up arriving around 8am to the admissions office and was the second person there. We were given our schedules for the day and admissions marked us off the list. By 8 15 the room was full with about 12 -15 people. There were a few other International applicants - Some from East Asia and some from India. However majority was domestic students

Class Visit
At 8 25 my guide showed up and took me to the class I was sitting in on. I sat in on a core accounting class that ran from 8 30 to 10. I have never studied accounting and didn’t really understand what was going on, however the professor seemed engaging and the class appeared more like an open discussion rather than a lecture. It seemed like a great way to learn.

Interview

After the class visit, I had around 15 minutes before my interview was scheduled. My interviewer showed up at 10 15 on the dot and took me to the room and we made small talk about my flight and what not on the way.

The interview was with a second year and was very relaxed. We had 30 minutes for interview and 15 minutes for questions. The 30 minutes flew by and we covered a lot of ground so make sure you are succinct in your responses. The interviewer already had a copy of my resume (although I don’t believe they have access to the other parts of my application; essays, transcript, gmat etc) and had already read through it.

The questions were all fairly standard with the walk me through your resume,
why mba, why tuck, what are you most excited about outside of academics, how will you contribute to the study group, when have you had to give feedback, when have you received tough feedback.

It was very flowing and they don't appear to throw any curveball questions at you, so nothing to be stressed about. However make sure you have interesting questions prepared as 1/3 of the interview time is allocated to questions. I truly feel the purpose of the interview is to know your personal side and your motivations for Tuck.

Lunch and Tour


After the interview I had an hour of free time before lunch. I mostly just chatted to other applicants and walked around the dartmouth campus.
At lunch we sat in a class room and sandwiches and fruits were provided. We were joined by some first years who talked more about their experiences so far. After lunch was a tour provided by a first year who walked us all around tuck. It’s deceptively big and is all interconnected with tunnels which I thought was interesting


Takeaways and observations


Tuck is really remote. Like really remote. If you are coming from a major city you may find it difficult to adapt. Understand this before applying. However the campus is beautiful and has a lot of charm to it. Things close very early which I found weird coming from a city where most things are open 24 hours

The students seem amazing. All the interactions I had with students seemed very genuine and authentic. They obviously love being at tuck and they will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Whilst I was walking around during the day I got lost on campus. A first year approached me and asked if I needed any help with directions. We ended up having a chat for 10 minutes about Tuck life and even gave me some interview tips.

Lack of diversity. I was a little disappointed about the lack of diversity at tuck. Maybe it was just the class I sat in on but everyone seemed to be White American. There was a handful of Asian/Indians in the class and no coloured people. It seemed about 90% of the class was white. This was a little off-putting and made me think about tucks international strength and reputation. Diversity is an important criteria for me and within that class I didn’t really feel it. I need to do more research here.

Sense of community
You can really feel that all the students known each other and are always helping one another. I could definitely feel a strong sense of community, almost like everyone was a family.

Worth the visit
Overall Im very glad I decided to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Hanover. I encourage those, particularly international applicants who aren't familiar with US culture to visit tuck. The day was very well run and informative and gave me a much deeper understanding of what Tuck is about
_________________

MY MBA Journey
https://fromaus2mba.wordpress.com

Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 27
Schools: Tuck '21
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 04:27
AUSJ wrote:
Adcom initiated interview debrief

Getting there

I took the dartmouth coach up from Boston early in the morning. The ride was around 3 hours total and was fairly pleasant. The coach was surprisingly comfortable with wifi, toilet and reclining seats.
I highly recommend the coach if you're coming from Boston or NYC, however make sure you get your tickets in advance. Both my ride to and from Hanover were sold out the prior day. Luckily I got my tickets a week before hand. I arrived in the afternoon and was tired so didn’t do much the night before the interview. Read over some notes quickly and tried to chill out with netflix and some herb tea

The morning

My day was scheduled to start at 8 30 am with a class visit and applicants expected to arrive at the admissions office around 8 15.
Due to jet lag, I was up at 5am so had plenty of time to get up and get some breakfast from Lou’s Bakery(highly recommended by the way). After eating I went for a walk around the campus and familiarised myself with where Tuck was on campus so I wouldn’t get lost. I ended up arriving around 8am to the admissions office and was the second person there. We were given our schedules for the day and admissions marked us off the list. By 8 15 the room was full with about 12 -15 people. There were a few other International applicants - Some from East Asia and some from India. However majority was domestic students

Class Visit
At 8 25 my guide showed up and took me to the class I was sitting in on. I sat in on a core accounting class that ran from 8 30 to 10. I have never studied accounting and didn’t really understand what was going on, however the professor seemed engaging and the class appeared more like an open discussion rather than a lecture. It seemed like a great way to learn.

Interview

After the class visit, I had around 15 minutes before my interview was scheduled. My interviewer showed up at 10 15 on the dot and took me to the room and we made small talk about my flight and what not on the way.

The interview was with a second year and was very relaxed. We had 30 minutes for interview and 15 minutes for questions. The 30 minutes flew by and we covered a lot of ground so make sure you are succinct in your responses. The interviewer already had a copy of my resume (although I don’t believe they have access to the other parts of my application; essays, transcript, gmat etc) and had already read through it.

The questions were all fairly standard with the walk me through your resume,
why mba, why tuck, what are you most excited about outside of academics, how will you contribute to the study group, when have you had to give feedback, when have you received tough feedback.

It was very flowing and they don't appear to throw any curveball questions at you, so nothing to be stressed about. However make sure you have interesting questions prepared as 1/3 of the interview time is allocated to questions. I truly feel the purpose of the interview is to know your personal side and your motivations for Tuck.

Lunch and Tour


After the interview I had an hour of free time before lunch. I mostly just chatted to other applicants and walked around the dartmouth campus.
At lunch we sat in a class room and sandwiches and fruits were provided. We were joined by some first years who talked more about their experiences so far. After lunch was a tour provided by a first year who walked us all around tuck. It’s deceptively big and is all interconnected with tunnels which I thought was interesting


Takeaways and observations


Tuck is really remote. Like really remote. If you are coming from a major city you may find it difficult to adapt. Understand this before applying. However the campus is beautiful and has a lot of charm to it. Things close very early which I found weird coming from a city where most things are open 24 hours

The students seem amazing. All the interactions I had with students seemed very genuine and authentic. They obviously love being at tuck and they will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Whilst I was walking around during the day I got lost on campus. A first year approached me and asked if I needed any help with directions. We ended up having a chat for 10 minutes about Tuck life and even gave me some interview tips.

Lack of diversity. I was a little disappointed about the lack of diversity at tuck. Maybe it was just the class I sat in on but everyone seemed to be White American. There was a handful of Asian/Indians in the class and no coloured people. It seemed about 90% of the class was white. This was a little off-putting and made me think about tucks international strength and reputation. Diversity is an important criteria for me and within that class I didn’t really feel it. I need to do more research here.

Sense of community
You can really feel that all the students known each other and are always helping one another. I could definitely feel a strong sense of community, almost like everyone was a family.

Worth the visit
Overall Im very glad I decided to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Hanover. I encourage those, particularly international applicants who aren't familiar with US culture to visit tuck. The day was very well run and informative and gave me a much deeper understanding of what Tuck is about


Thanks for sharing AUSJ. I am glad that you enjoyed the trip to Upper Valley. I believe Tuck's student body is actually more diverse and if you had the opportunity to attend the Tuck Diversity Conference, you would totally see that. Best of luck with your application this year.
LBS, Yale, & Tuck Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 04:41
tvpwc.
Agreed. It's difficult to know diversity from just one class. What stood out most for me is the tiny number of non white students.
However if we do some rough analysis. Tuck has a class size of ~280 with 40% international.
That brings it to 112 international students spread across 4 class sections of ~75 which is roughly 28 int students in each sector. Assume half those int students are from non white countries and it brings us to roughly 14 asian/indian/african students in each core class. This is roughly about the number of non white students in the class I counted, however the above analysis fails to take into account asian americans / african americans, so in theory it should be much higher than 14

So to your point, in the class I observed the ethnic diversity was well below what I was expecting. Not that there is anything wrong with this. It's just something that stood out to me
_________________

MY MBA Journey
https://fromaus2mba.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2017
Posts: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V44
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 07:04
AUSJ wrote:
tvpwc.
Agreed. It's difficult to know diversity from just one class. What stood out most for me is the tiny number of non white students.
However if we do some rough analysis. Tuck has a class size of ~280 with 40% international.
That brings it to 112 international students spread across 4 class sections of ~75 which is roughly 28 int students in each sector. Assume half those int students are from non white countries and it brings us to roughly 14 asian/indian/african students in each core class. This is roughly about the number of non white students in the class I counted, however the above analysis fails to take into account asian americans / african americans, so in theory it should be much higher than 14

So to your point, in the class I observed the ethnic diversity was well below what I was expecting. Not that there is anything wrong with this. It's just something that stood out to me


I visited Tuck back in September and also had the opportunity to attend a class. I actually had the same reaction. There were surprisingly few people of color in my class, particularly women of color. Another prospective student and I chatted after the class visit and she commented on the exact same thing. I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with this because it's a limited sample, but I (and others) definitely noticed.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 27
Schools: Tuck '21
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 13:40
Tuck actually has a very strong relationship with the Consortium so I hope more URM students will join the school but I definitely can assure that the school really focuses on diversity, even with its small size (< 290 students). I had the opportunity to attend the Tuck Diversity Conference (a.k.a. DivCo) last week and got a amazing experience.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 17:43
maverick1865 wrote:
I guess as an R1 applicant from India I should give up hope of receiving an interview invite, then?



I have the same question, any hopes for the interview invites for Indian applicants now?

Posted from my mobile device
LBS, Yale, & Tuck Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 17:57
paaa1234 wrote:
maverick1865 wrote:
I guess as an R1 applicant from India I should give up hope of receiving an interview invite, then?



I have the same question, any hopes for the interview invites for Indian applicants now?

Posted from my mobile device


Until you get the rejection email there is always hope.

However I would take a guess that as the deadline date approaches ,your chance of getting an interview approaches zero
_________________

MY MBA Journey
https://fromaus2mba.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 156
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Nov 2018, 07:32
Congratulations to everyone who has already applied and good luck regarding your decisions!

For those who are still planning to apply to Tuck and are just not sure when they can finally let go of their application and click submit here are some tips:

How do I know when my MBA application is finished?



1. Is your resume in the template of the target MBA program?


This is a super easy way to fit in, and demonstrate your commitment to the school. Plus, it creates sort of a cognitive dissonance for the adcom to read a resume in their school's template and then reject that student -- essentially causing the document they are viewing to disappear.

2. Does your whole application tie to one simple story?


You are not under oath. You do not have to tell the whole truth, so help you god. In fact, explaining every part of your job, explaining every reason for why you pursued every opportunity, or listing the many divergent career options that interest you will not help your application, but hurt it. Your application is telling a story, and the best stories are simple linear ones. The best story characters are have clear motives and take decisive action. Often the key to telling a great story in your application is not to add things in, but rather to cut out all extraneous details.

It is also important for every part of your application to tell the same single story, from your resume to your recommender. If your essay is all about working in renewable energy, but your resume is all about finance, the adcom might not think that you're all that credible. The easiest decision that the Adcom can make is to not admit you.

3. Have you mitigated your weaknesses?


Your application is an argument and the best arguments bring up the opposing case and offers counter points. Do you have a lower GPA? Find space in the application to explain why that is the case and what you have done subsequently to prove that academics are no longer an issue. Is your work experience less impressive? Then point out all the ways in which your employer, position, client, or projects were impressive. Ignoring your weaknesses is not a winning strategy. The adcom will still see them, they just won't have the benefit of your counter argument.

4. Have you connected your candidacy to a larger problem you're trying to solve?


Adcoms don't like "admitting students" so much as they like "funding solutions to problems." In that way, you can think of them less like hiring managers and more like venture capitalists: ready to provide funding and mentorship to entrepreneurs out to tackle big markets. If you are able to argue that you have spent your career fighting to solve a specific, important, and urgent problem (ideally one that resonates with Tuck's unique values) and that you are now poised to achieve the next level of impact, if only you were equipped with the unique resources that Tuck has to offer, you will be a much more credible candidate than a generic professional looking to go to graduate school.
_________________

Best,
Nate


IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.


Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.


Originally posted by NateFromHBS on 12 Nov 2018, 07:28.
Last edited by Narenn on 12 Nov 2018, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Edit
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 5801
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 05:28

Dec 5, 2018. Wednesday. Live Chat with Tuck Admission Directors



Hi Guys, Tuck team will be in our chat room in the first week of December. We invite all of you to participate in this chat session and ask your questions/doubts about the school/ application to Tuck adcom. Event details are given below.

Look forward to all applicants in the chat.

Date & Time: Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018; 12pm Eastern Time (5pm GMT, 10:30pm IST)
Join Link: GMATClub Chat Room
Image

Tuck team members participating in this session
  • Amy Mitson - Sr. Associate Director of Admissions
  • Stephanie Butler - Assistant Director of Admissions

_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]


Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 07:13
Narenn wrote:

Dec 5, 2018. Wednesday. Live Chat with Tuck Admission Directors



Hi Guys, Tuck team will be in our chat room in the first week of December. We invite all of you to participate in this chat session and ask your questions/doubts about the school/ application to Tuck adcom. Event details are given below.

Look forward to all applicants in the chat.

Date & Time: Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018; 12pm Eastern Time (5pm GMT, 10:30pm IST)
Join Link: GMATClub Chat Room
Image

Tuck team members participating in this session
  • Amy Mitson - Sr. Associate Director of Admissions
  • Stephanie Butler - Assistant Director of Admissions

The day before they release the R1 decisions? Aren't they presumably going to be busy calling accepted students?
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 5801
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 07:36
1
gmatpercher wrote:
The day before they release the R1 decisions? Aren't they presumably going to be busy calling accepted students?

Oh really? I didn't know that this chat is happening just ahead of decisions. :-D Anyways, perhaps the team calling admits is different from the one participating in this chat.
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]


Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

GMAT Club Bot
Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 13 Nov 2018, 07:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 97 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: tvpwc, AUSJ



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.