Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Join Us: Darden Admissions on Facebook
Mark your calendar! Darden Admissions will be Live on Facebook tomorrow, 9 December at 12 noon EST.

Join us as we chat with three current students about their Darden experiences so far and what advice they have to share with prospective students and applicants.

Simply visit our Facebook page at noon tomorrow to join in. We will see you there!

https://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/virginia ... FQafN61lyo
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
According to Livewire, it looks like last year Darden called accepted applicants both on the notification day and the day before... thoughts for this year?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aabbaabbaabbaabb wrote:
According to Livewire, it looks like last year Darden called accepted applicants both on the notification day and the day before... thoughts for this year?

I think it will be the same this year. My cousin is a 1st year student there and he got his call the day before the decision day.
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Meet Darden’s EMBA and GEMBA: Albert Mirzoyan, EMBA ’18
Much like our residential students, the students enrolled in the Executive Formats of the Darden MBA come from a wide variety of backgrounds, careers, goals, and interests. We have asked several of our EMBA and GEMBA students to answer a few questions about their MBA experiences, which we will post over the coming weeks. We hope you enjoy getting to know them, and if you have any additional questions about our Executive Formats, we encourage you to schedule a conversation with a member of our Admissions Committee.

Name: Albert Mirzoyan

https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admiss ... 00x293.jpg
EMBA student Albert Mirzoyan

City: Washington, DC

Employer: Corning, Inc.

Years of Experience: 7

Format/Section: CHO/EMBA

1. What is your current job?

Business Development for Corning, Inc.

2. Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I wanted an MBA for several reasons. First and foremost, I wanted to advance my career and I knew that there would be limitations for growth within my corporation without this degree. I also wanted to strengthen my business acumen in areas such as accounting, finance, corporate strategy, and analytics.

3. Why did you choose Darden?

The case method. In my opinion, it is simply the best way to learn and push yourself professionally and personally. Though it might be intimidating at first, I feel it is, by far, the most effective method of learning. Yet an effective case method would not be possible without a world class faculty and that is exactly what you get with Darden. Additionally, the Darden community has a way of making you feel at home and part of a very large family. As an example, I reached out to several alumni, via email, for program feedback and their own take on Darden. Out of the 7 inquires, 6 of them replied within a day with highly insightful advice and perspective. Prior to becoming a student, I was also invited to a dinner party where I had a chance to meet several alumni that provided another layer of perspective of what to anticipate and how to prepare for success in this program.

4. What attracted you to the executive formats of the Darden MBA?

The level of experience of the section along with the flexibility that the format offers. Classes with a seasoned group of students gives you a unique advantage to learn through their deep experience and knowledge. During the first leadership residency, it was captivating to hear perspectives on diverse issues such as ethics in business, leadership, accounting methodology, and financial reporting from an individual working as a Forensic Accountant at SEC, a physicist and a physician, to name just a few of the professions represented in the class.

As a full time employee, the executive formats were a perfect match for me because I do not have to pause my career. At this point, taking two years off to go back to school would cause me to lose some of the momentum, mentors, and opportunities I’ve been working towards at my current company. Additionally, I really liked that I would be able to apply everything I would learn in class to my day to day operations at work.

5. What’s your favorite thing about your classmates so far?

The level of diversity in experience, job functions, accomplishments, and drive to make a difference in their companies as well as the world. A particular story that really stood out to me involved one of the students recalling his interview experience, which may I add, differed vastly from mine. Given his military background, he described how it was conducted in a tent via Skype during one of his missions while being deployed overseas, in what sounded like a fairly hostile environment. Another involved a cardiac surgeon recalling an emotional story that he experienced on the job. It’s not every day that you have the opportunity learn alongside attorneys, physicians, navy seals, consultants and a nuclear physicist.

6. What advice do you have for prospective students?

Really evaluate what you are looking to get out of your MBA experience. I found it helpful to list top 10 priorities that I needed in a program and compare it to a particular program I was considering. Make sure to talk it through with your partner/significant other and ensure they understand the time and commitment the program will take. You will spend, on average, 25-30 hours a week preparing for class on top of your full time job. As such, you need to be extremely open with those that are close to you so that they are not blindsided by the nature of this new commitment. You will need their full support and help over the next two years, so it’s important that they are fully onboard.

Time management is also critical and I highly recommend planning your week or even month ahead of time to ensure you carve out slots for those that are important in your life.

I encourage every prospective student to sit in on a class, talk to the admissions staff and current students. This is important because literature, websites, or any other type of reading only provides you a fraction of what this program entails. Prior to becoming a student, I was able to sit down with several alumni that gave me really great advice about the school and the community, further solidifying my desire to join Darden. Additionally, you might have an idea of what teaching via case method means, but it will never give you a full perspective if you don’t experience it for yourself. I thought I knew all there is to know about this type of teaching style until I actually sat on one of Professor Ron Wilcox’ marketing classes. It was transformative. In just 60 minutes, and not having read the case, I felt extremely captivated by the classroom discussion. Up to that point, I have never experienced a classroom that provided this type of excitement and interactivity while learning about very important business topics.

https://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/virginia ... oUnuW7giJo
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Technology
Send PM
Good luck, folks! Hope we start hearing some good news from Monday.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Great, now if I don't get a call tomorrow I will be tearing my hair out by Tuesday morning.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck guys! If last year is anything to go by, decisions could start coming out anytime.

Let's gather in the chat room to share decision updates with each other in real time.. mchat.php?fl=menu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know if they call international applicants as well?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Meet Darden’s EMBA and GEMBA: Corbin Norman, GEMBA ’18
Much like our residential students, the students enrolled in the Executive Formats of the Darden MBA come from a wide variety of backgrounds, careers, goals, and interests. We have asked several of our EMBA and GEMBA students to answer a few questions about their MBA experiences, which we will post over the coming weeks. We hope you enjoy getting to know them, and if you have any additional questions about our Executive Formats, we encourage you to schedule a conversation with a member of our Admissions Committee.

https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admiss ... 00x300.jpg
Corbin Norman, GEMBA ’18

Name: Corbin Norman

City: Washington, District of Columbia

Employer: kweliTV, Inc.

Years of Experience: 6

Format/Section: GEMBA/Rosslyn

• What is your current job?
I am the Chief Marketing and Development Officer of kweliTV, an interactive, streaming platform dedicated to the stories, issues and culture of the global black community. kweliTV offer indie films, documentaries, web shows and news programming for the entire African Diaspora. I oversee all operational and strategic planning functions including sales and marketing, customer relations, partnerships, and management of marketing/communications/PR personnel.

[*]Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?[/list]
According to CB Insights’ data from 2010 on VC investments in the U.S., only 1 percent of VC-funded startup founders are black, whereas black people make up over 11 percent of the U.S. population. Meanwhile, 87 percent of VC backed founders are white and 83 percent of all founding teams of these companies are all white.  If the future of entrepreneurship is to be a culture of inclusion and diversity, then founders of color, specifically women, need access to capital. I want to change this paradigm and empower the very community that made me what I am today. An MBA will accelerate my progression as a serial entrepreneur and provide me the knowledge, skills, and network to launch a venture capital firm focusing on seed stage funding for black-founded startups in technology, healthcare and life sciences, and education in underserved communities around the world.

[*]Why did you choose Darden?[/list]
Ultimately, I came to Darden to receive the best education experience in the world. Over the past 6 years, I accumulated expertise in technology and operations but my knowledge gaps were in marketing, finance, and global economies. I felt the Darden MBA and more specifically the Case Method was the best way to fill those voids. With a Darden MBA, I will walk away with an enterprise perspective, global experiences, and access to valuable resources such as the Darden brand and alumni network, connections with world renowned faculty and the Batten Institute.

[*]What attracted you to the executive formats of the Darden MBA?[/list]
I could have not asked for a more convenient executive format than Darden’s Executive MBA formats in Charlottesville and Rosslyn. In addition, Darden’s ability to utilize the same core curriculum and faculty as the residential MBA program is really exciting. The initiation of the Rosslyn section is a game-changer and without a doubt enticed me more to choose Darden. The Friday, Saturday, Sunday format allows me to reduce the amount of time away from work while only expending 15 minutes to commute to Rosslyn for on-ground classes.

The integration of the core curriculum in the executive formats really provides a strong business foundation for those looking to learn leadership and management in a global context. The first on-ground residency (Leadership Residency 1 – LR1) was a great start to a 21-month journey because it really opened my eyes to a world where leading with an enterprise perspective is necessary.

[*]What’s your favorite thing about your classmates so far?[/list]
The diversity of my classmates is extraordinary. The differences not just in race, gender, color, nationality, etc. but the uniqueness of each classmates’ experiences, interests and attitudes is amazing. My classmates cut across many different age groups yet everyone is sharp, engaging, and very accomplished. An example of this uniqueness came during LR1 where the class participated in a discussion on how leveraging diversity in a global context give firms a competitive advantage. A respectful yet heated debate ensued; I was enlightened by my classmates’ views and opinions on the topic of diversity and how and why organizations should achieve diversity. To hear points of view from people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds provided level-setting for me and the entire cohort and carries over to my Learning Team and how we work with each other within this smaller group.

[*]What advice do you have for prospective students?[/list]
Your career, and ultimately your life, is a marathon, not a sprint. Focus on your needs professionally and personally. Where do you see yourself pre-MBA and post-MBA? Once you’ve identified this roadmap, how well does an MBA, specifically a Darden MBA, align to those needs and help you extract the most value during that journey?

https://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/virginia ... 851PkI4iOQ
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Tuck '19 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
IN! Just got the call a few minutes ago. It's real now! Consider this guy on cloud 9 :-D :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
In as well!!!! OMG such a relief... feels so good to get the first acceptance -- especially from a great program like Darden!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
In as well! Got the call at 4:00pm (located on the east coast)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.35
WE:Accounting (Health Care)
Send PM
Got the call an hour ago. First acceptance, phew; such a relief :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.27
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
anybody on the west coast hear back yet? I haven't seen anything posted yet
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gdyste wrote:
anybody on the west coast hear back yet? I haven't seen anything posted yet

I'm from AZ and received the acceptance call about 30 minutes ago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do they call everyone today or will they call anyone tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Send PM
dagthepowerful wrote:
Do they call everyone today or will they call anyone tomorrow?

Let's hope they're still making some calls tomorrow. My guess is that they will make some calls since they seem to have started late in the day today and don't release final decisions until noon EST tomorrow.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts