Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Posts: 286
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 15:59
Conventional wisdom says that Early Decision improves your chances for admission. Does anyone have the numbers for CBS specifically? What are the admission rates for ED versus non-ED applicants? Does ED increase the chances from 17% to 20%, or is it more like 15% to 30%?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2015
Posts: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 16:39
jz4analytics wrote:
Conventional wisdom says that Early Decision improves your chances for admission. Does anyone have the numbers for CBS specifically? What are the admission rates for ED versus non-ED applicants? Does ED increase the chances from 17% to 20%, or is it more like 15% to 30%?



This is the question everyone is trying to figure out.

The closest I have been to finding an answer is this interview where an admissions officer says the big bulk of applicants go to regular admission.
(http://blog.accepted.com/2015/04/22/the ... -business/)

It still doesn't answer exactly your question.
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Posts: 286
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 04:47
It's odd that CBS is so secretive about this, since ED is a huge commitment. I found this:

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... -analysis/

He claims:
ED: 21.8%
Regular: 18.6%

That's not a big difference (age is a more significant factor!), but we don't know what the applicant pools looked like (i.e. did ED applicants have lower GMAT scores?).

I also don't know if Columbia is as generous with financial aid for ED acceptances as they are for regular - they kind of have you in a strangle hold. All things considered, it doesn't seem that great to apply ED unless you really, really want to go to Columbia above anywhere else.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 25
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 06:48
jz4analytics wrote:
It's odd that CBS is so secretive about this, since ED is a huge commitment. I found this:

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... -analysis/

He claims:
ED: 21.8%
Regular: 18.6%

That's not a big difference (age is a more significant factor!), but we don't know what the applicant pools looked like (i.e. did ED applicants have lower GMAT scores?).

I also don't know if Columbia is as generous with financial aid for ED acceptances as they are for regular - they kind of have you in a strangle hold. All things considered, it doesn't seem that great to apply ED unless you really, really want to go to Columbia above anywhere else.


Something is wrong with those figures. Overall acceptance rate for CBS class of 2016 was 18.2%. Weighted average of 18.6% and 21.8% cannot be 18.2% in any case. Even for older classes these figures do not make a lot of sense. If anything, acceptance rate for ED will be a tad higher than 18.2% and that for RD will be lower than 18.2%.
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Posts: 286
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 11:00
kaashi wrote:
jz4analytics wrote:
It's odd that CBS is so secretive about this, since ED is a huge commitment. I found this:

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... -analysis/

He claims:
ED: 21.8%
Regular: 18.6%

That's not a big difference (age is a more significant factor!), but we don't know what the applicant pools looked like (i.e. did ED applicants have lower GMAT scores?).

I also don't know if Columbia is as generous with financial aid for ED acceptances as they are for regular - they kind of have you in a strangle hold. All things considered, it doesn't seem that great to apply ED unless you really, really want to go to Columbia above anywhere else.


Something is wrong with those figures. Overall acceptance rate for CBS class of 2016 was 18.2%. Weighted average of 18.6% and 21.8% cannot be 18.2% in any case. Even for older classes these figures do not make a lot of sense. If anything, acceptance rate for ED will be a tad higher than 18.2% and that for RD will be lower than 18.2%.


I think he takes data from this forum, it is not supposed to be representative. I don't think there is public data on every applicant. It is not surprising that GMATCLUB applicants do a little better than average.
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1127
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 10:33
Anyone here to answer this question in the following link?
Thanks__

https://gmatclub.com/forum/cbs-states-t ... l#p2196483
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2018, 10:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CBS Early Decision: how much does it improve your odds?

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne