GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: IMD '21
Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 00:30
Hi experts,

Isn't there a parallelism in the "little water" and "services"? I assumed that since "little water" is adjective + noun, "services" should have an accompanying adjective before it.

But the experts analysis assigned "little" to "water" and "services". If that's the case, how will I know whether I should assign "little" to both "water" and "services" or identify this as a parallelism error?

Please help.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 04:44
Hi Diwabag, this is because there is no such thing as little services.

Services, in the context that it is used here, is countable and so, the correct usage here is few services.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 14:10
GMATNinja

Hello Gmat Ninja ,

I understand that when you have two things connected by and then the verb is plural .
but in your videos for parallelism I remember you has asked us to see if each of the elements in a list match with the root of the list

doing so in option (A)

(A) --> little water or services exist

Little water (correct)
Little services ( wrong ) Totally understood this part

but what confuses me is option (E)
(E) -->there are few services and little available water

there are few services (correct)
there are Little available water ( are little available water seems wrong)

what am i missing here .

would be thankful if you could kindly help me understand this and also help me understand how to find the root of the list ( if my method was wrong)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 04:18
gmattodreamschool wrote:
GMATNinja

Hello Gmat Ninja ,

I understand that when you have two things connected by and then the verb is plural .
but in your videos for parallelism I remember you has asked us to see if each of the elements in a list match with the root of the list

doing so in option (A)

(A) --> little water or services exist

Little water (correct)
Little services ( wrong ) Totally understood this part

but what confuses me is option (E)
(E) -->there are few services and little available water

there are few services (correct)
there are Little available water ( are little available water seems wrong)

what am i missing here .

would be thankful if you could kindly help me understand this and also help me understand how to find the root of the list ( if my method was wrong)

Good question! Consider the following examples:

• His favorite sport is 1) hockey, 2) soccer, or 3) tennis.
  • My favorite sports are 1) baseball, 2) basketball, and 3) cricket.

In both cases, we have a parallel list of nouns. In the first example, we use a singular verb (because of the "or"), and the second example requires a plural verb ("My favorite sports IS baseball, basketball, and cricket" would obviously be wrong).

You are absolutely right: if your analysis is too robotic, you might think that the second example is wrong because "my favorite sports are cricket" doesn't work by itself. But in this case, both the subject ("sports") and the parallel list of items ("baseball, basketball, and cricket") are plural, so "are" is clearly the superior choice.

The same is true in the original question. The sentence is trying to say that limited quantities of "services and water" exist, and that's clearly a plural entity, just like "baseball, basketball, and cricket." So it makes sense to use an expression with a plural verb: "there are."

So, as with any technique, don't try to apply the "root" concept too mechanically -- it can be a useful tool, but subject-verb agreement is pretty darned important, too. :)

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 16:25
GMATNinja

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations. I have learned a lot from them.

In this particular question I have a query regarding option (E). It doesn't mention 'few-er'. Is it because there is no 'than' present in the sentence ? If a 'than' was present, a mere 'few' would have been wrong and would have demanded the 'er' version.

Will appreciate your comments on this.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 19:47
altairahmad wrote:
GMATNinja

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations. I have learned a lot from them.

In this particular question I have a query regarding option (E). It doesn't mention 'few-er'. Is it because there is no 'than' present in the sentence ? If a 'than' was present, a mere 'few' would have been wrong and would have demanded the 'er' version.

Will appreciate your comments on this.

I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying our explanations!

I think you have the right idea here... we use "fewer" when we are comparing one quantity to another and "few" as a standalone modifier:

• "I have fewer burritos than you have." - We are comparing the number of burritos that I have to the number of burritos that you have. (Incidentally, I'm sad about my lack of burritos.)
  • "This area has fewer Mexican restaurants than that area." - We are comparing the number of Mexican restaurants in one area to the number of Mexican restaurants in another area. (I'm sure you can figure out which area I would prefer. :tongue_opt2)
  • "The desert has few services." - We are not comparing the services in the desert to the services somewhere else. We are simply trying to say that there are a small number of services in the desert, so we use "few" instead of "fewer".
  • "The desert has fewer services." - By itself, this sentence does not work because we are not comparing one quantity to another.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 17:15
A,B and D are incorrect because "little" is used to describe non-count nouns but it is applied to "services", a count noun

B and C are also incorrect because X AND Y compound subject requires a plural verb

E is correct as "few" is used with count nouns, a plural verb "are" is used to refer to the compound subject also
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 01:12
I literally started with "little water" - a quantifiable modifier of noun water - which is completely wrong. All the other choices get eliminated. E is your answer.

Ans: E
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 01:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics