GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 17:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

First post and need help

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
First post and need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 04:08
Hello people this is my first post so sorry if I posted in the wrong topic.

I am going to graduate in this January from Koç University, Economics which is one of the most prestigious colleges in Turkey. My GPA is pretty low, 2.60. I know that this is not good enough for most b-schools. But I had a 740 on GMAT. So, my GPA does not really reflects my skills. Do you think that I have a chance with schools like Imperial or Warwick Business School? Or in the US maybe Stern, Columbia or Haas?

A lot of people say that GPA is not the only factor that matters but can a 2.60 be compensated with a 740 GMAT and summer internship at an investment bank?
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: First post and need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 05:00
Hi,
Welcome to GMATclub. Congratulations for GMAT 740; It's an amazing score. Your 740 is enough to prove to every school that you can handle the academics easily. So, do not worry :) There are many applicants in same scenario like you and they get successful admits.

For the admit chances/suggestions, you need an evaluation of your overall profile. Are you interested in MBA or Masters?
You can search forums in which experts or moderators evaluate the profiles. We can talk further if you have questions..

obozanoglu wrote:

I am going to graduate in this January from Koç University, Economics which is one of the most prestigious colleges in Turkey. My GPA is pretty low, 2.60. I know that this is not good enough for most b-schools. But I had a 740 on GMAT. So, my GPA does not really reflects my skills. Do you think that I have a chance with schools like Imperial or Warwick Business School? Or in the US maybe Stern, Columbia or Haas?

A lot of people say that GPA is not the only factor that matters but can a 2.60 be compensated with a 740 GMAT and summer internship at an investment bank?

Not happy with current GMAT - check Retake Strategy
Follow the experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 06:17
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,
Welcome to GMATclub. Congratulations for GMAT 740; It's an....

Thanks for the answer. I am interested in Ms in Finance. US schools usually do not have that program, though. So, I may also consider MBA for the US b-schools.

I was really worried about my GPA, because ave admitted GPAs are usually around 3.20s. So again, thanks for the answer:)

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 08:59
Hi obozanoglu,

Thank you for your post, and congratulations on a 740 GMAT!

Ineed, b-schools look at applications holistically, so academics alone are not the deciding factor. To determine admission, business schools do measure potential success in their classrooms and career. Without prior work experience, they will rely on the data at hand: GMAT, GPA, Extracurricular, Internships, narrative, etc. I do recommend you have your profile evaluated (in detail) to determine which programs and schools you should target with your existing profile. There is not enough data here for us to properly evaluate.

If you are interested, we offer a free 30-minute profile evaluation where we discuss details of your background and potential next steps. If that is something you would find helpful, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

obozanoglu wrote:

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 09:06
obozanoglu wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,
Welcome to GMATclub. Congratulations for GMAT 740; It's an....

Thanks for the answer. I am interested in Ms in Finance. US schools usually do not have that program, though. So, I may also consider MBA for the US b-schools.

I was really worried about my GPA, because ave admitted GPAs are usually around 3.20s. So again, thanks for the answer:)

Posted from my mobile device

If it is Finance you are interested in, you may like to research Simon in addition to Stern and Columbia.

All the best obozanoglu

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 01:06
Hi obozanoglu,

Well Congratulations on your excellent job in GMAT which can balance your lower GPA. But it's just not your GMAT score but your overall profile which gets you admission in any top B-Schools. There are certain top B-Schools which accept applicants without work experience. But before you could apply, you need to do a lot of research and make sure the B-School’s you tend to apply should have clearly mentioned in their official website that ‘No minimum experience required to apply’. But some might also drop quick hints to indicate that their main target applicant pool isn’t freshers.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: First post and need help   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2019, 01:06

First post and need help

new topic post reply Update application status