Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Subject Verb Agreementx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
For the time marker, it is ok, but our prime discussion is the use of present perfect tense, right? In you example of peter (present perfect tense), Peter still lives in US. Do you still think that Peter lives out of US now a days? Do you think that we have to know Peter personally to know his location? :) But, my example depicts that Peter lives in US till now.
Thanks

Hi TheUltimateWinner, since none of us knows Peter, let's change Peter to someone we both know: "I"!

Suppose you live in US. Then why would you say I have lived in US? You would rather say I live in US (present tense)...isn't it?

In other words, using a present perfect does not necessarily convey whether you are still in US or have left US.

One variation of present perfect that will convey the meaning of still live in US would be:

I have lived in US since 2015 (or Peter has lived in US since 2015).

The above sentence does convey that I started living in US in 2015 and I still live in US.
Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
For the time marker, it is ok, but our prime discussion is the use of present perfect tense, right? In you example of peter (present perfect tense), Peter still lives in US. Do you still think that Peter lives out of US now a days? Do you think that we have to know Peter personally to know his location? :) But, my example depicts that Peter lives in US till now.
Thanks

Hi TheUltimateWinner, since none of us knows Peter, let's change Peter to someone we both know: "I"!

Suppose you live in US. Then why would you say I have lived in US? You would rather say I live in US (present tense)...isn't it?

In other words, using a present perfect does not necessarily convey whether you are still in US or have left US.

One variation of present perfect that will convey the meaning of still live in US would be:

I have lived in US since 2015 (or Peter has lived in US since 2015).

The above sentence does convey that I started living in US in 2015 and I still live in US.

Quote:
since none of us knows Peter, let's change Peter to someone we both know: "I"!

EducationAisle
Thanks for the reply.
I'm trying to explain my point a bit here.
Peter goes to school and Peter has gone to school are 2 separate things.
Peter goes to school-->it means that Peter loves to go school in generalities.

Peter has gone to school-->it means that Peter is in school right away! Maybe, someone may argue that he is in cinema hall right now, but it is a big no-I've to be convinced that he is in school because of the sentence structure (present perfect tense)

Here is an another example:
Peter has died-->Peter is not alive right away. There is no way to be back to Peter in normal life! :(
So, we should not know Peter before to justify him by tense. That's it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Peter has gone to school-->it means that Peter is in school right away!

Well, let's take a similar example.

Peter has attended school.

Does it mean that Peter is still attending school? No.

This just means that at some point in the past, Peter attended school.

Which brings me to my initial point:).

Present perfect does not necessarily mean that the action is still underway.
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Peter has gone to school-->it means that Peter is in school right away!

Well, let's take a similar example.

Which brings me to my initial point:).

Present perfect does not necessarily mean that the action is still underway.

EducationAisle
Nice debate! :D
There are three main contexts in which we use the present perfect. All of them are focused on the present time in relation to something in the past.
1. We use present perfect for something that happened in the past but has some kind of effect on the present.
2. We use the present perfect for something that happens in a time frame that continues up to now.
3. We use present perfect to talk about experiences that form part of who we are now. For example, “I have been to university” expresses the idea that now I am a person with a university education, and “I have never been to USA” expresses the idea that now I am a person who does not have the experience of going to USA.
Quote:

^^ This one just resembles your experience in attending the school; That does not mean that 'Peter is still attending school.
Am I clear to you?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
That does not mean that 'Peter is still attending school.
Am I clear to you?

ok, it is heartening to know that we are making some progress here.

The way Peter has attended school does not mean that Peter is still attending school, similarly, Peter has lived in US does not necessarily mean that Peter is still in US.

This is because Peter has lived in US can definitely conform to the following scenario that you've mentioned in your post:

3. We use present perfect to talk about experiences that form part of who we are now.

My life in US is an experience that forms part of who I am now (without necessarily implying that I am still in US).
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
That does not mean that 'Peter is still attending school.
Am I clear to you?

ok, it heartening to know that we are making some progress here.

The way Peter has attended school does not mean that Peter is still attending school, similarly, Peter has lived in US does not necessarily mean that Peter is still in US.

This is because Peter has lived in US can definitely conform to the following scenario:

3. We use present perfect to talk about experiences that form part of who we are now.

My life in US is an experience that forms part of who I am now (without necessarily implying that I am still in US).

EducationAisle
But, the example of 'living in USA' is totally different.
Peter lives in USA and Peter has lived in USA are not the same thing!
Peter lives in USA--> it means Peter usually lives in USA (he does not like to live in Canada, maybe)

Peter has lived in USA-->Peter started to live in USA few minutes/hours/days/years back, but he still lives in USA.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Peter lives in USA--> it means Peter usually lives in USA (he does not like to live in Canada, maybe)

It means no such thing. We cannot extrapolate it (even remotely) to interpret that he does not like to live in Canada, or not even that he likes to live in USA.

Simple present represents a general truth or a current fact.

Quote:
Peter has lived in USA-->Peter started to live in USA few minutes/hours/days/years back, but he still lives in USA.

Yes, or it could mean that at some point in his life, Peter lived in USA (implying that he may not be in USA anymore). The experience of living in US (even if I am not in US right now) continues to stay with me, and hence I use present perfect.
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

It means no such thing. We cannot extrapolate it (even remotely) to interpret that he does not like to live in Canada, or not even that he likes to live in USA.

Simple present represents a general truth or a current fact.

Quote:

Yes, or it could mean that at some point in his life, Peter lived in USA (implying that he may not be in USA anymore). The experience of living in US (even if I am not in US right now) continues to stay with me, and hence I use present perfect.

I'm not saying that 'Peter does not like to live in Canada directly'; I'm just using this hypothetical situation to enforce that 'Peter lives in USA' is just a general fact.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
GMATNinja

I might need few clarifications regarding the "touch rule".

I understand that "that" and "which" cannot modify the sloths as such a sentence would be non-sensical.

But I can make an argument saying the "The fossils of the arm of a sloth" is actually a single entity (Prepositional phrase all the way till Fossils). So, "that" and "which" are actually perfectly normal here.

If you may, can you say what's wrong with my dissection?

Thanks,
Biswesh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Biswesh wrote:
GMATNinja

I might need few clarifications regarding the "touch rule".

I understand that "that" and "which" cannot modify the sloths as such a sentence would be non-sensical.

But I can make an argument saying the "The fossils of the arm of a sloth" is actually a single entity (Prepositional phrase all the way till Fossils). So, "that" and "which" are actually perfectly normal here.

If you may, can you say what's wrong with my dissection?

Thanks,
Biswesh

Check out this post for an explanation of why the "that" makes (C) incorrect even if it does reach back all the way to "fossils."

And if you're uncomfortable eliminating (E) because of the "which," there are other reasons to get rid of it (as described in this post).

Overall, though, exceptions to the "touch rule" are somewhat rare, and you should be skeptical of an answer choice that forces you to jump over two other nouns to reach the one that works. Is that enough to eliminate right away? Maybe not, but it should be a big red flag.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hello! I understand that Have been/Has been is used to indicate an action that started in the past and is continuing.
Eg- I have been practicing yoga since last monday.

Hence does Option D not change the meaning?

Where am i going wrong here, please help? TIA!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
"Hence does Option D not change the meaning?"

If the meaning in an answer choice is clear and makes sense, it's a valid contender.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anusreenair wrote:
Hello! I understand that Have been/Has been is used to indicate an action that started in the past and is continuing.

Hi Anusreenair, Have been/Has been is basically present perfect and does not necessarily suggest that the action is continuing.

For example:

Country X has been attacked only once in its history.

This does not suggest that the attack is still continuing.

Quote:
Eg- I have been practicing yoga since last monday.

Yes, this sentence (which is in present perfect continuous tense) does suggest that the action (Yoga) started in the past and is continuing

Quote:
Hence does Option D not change the meaning?

Not at all. D just uses present perfect (and not present perfect continuous) and hence, does not necessarily suggest that the act of dating is still continuing. D basically just uses present perfect tense in passive voice.

For example:

The University has declared the results.
- Present perfect in active voice. Notice again that this does not necessarily suggest the the act of declaration of results in still continuing.

The results have been declared.
- Present perfect in passive voice. Notice that this construct is similar to the construct used in option D. Again, this does not necessarily suggest the the act of declaration of results in still continuing.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

In option E, is there any error in the usage of "made"?

Since its a past participle end modifier, it should ideally have a noun/noun phrase to refer back to, but it seems to modify the entire clause.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Argp wrote:
In option E, is there any error in the usage of "made"?

Since its a past participle end modifier, it should ideally have a noun/noun phrase to refer back to, but it seems to modify the entire clause.

Actually "made" is not a participle in this context. It's a finite verb. In fact, in the (E) version, "made" is the main verb of the sentence.

Let's analyze the (E) version to see what's wrong with the use of "made." Here's the (E) version:

Fossils of the arm of a sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

If we cross of the modifier that follows "sloth," here's what we get:

Fossils of the arm of a sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

So, without the modifier the sentence is the following:

Fossils of the arm of a sloth ... made the sloth the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

Notice that the (E) version conveys the meaning that fossils "made the sloth the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands." Since fossils would not have made the sloth something, that meaning is nonsensical.

So, while "made" is not incorrectly used, the meaning conveyed via the use of "made" does not make sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Sentence Correction - Cutting out fluff to better see structure errors in a sentence

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
loved this Q bcz bcz fossils were dated not sloth was....

B-- wrong, bcz of "they"
C-- wrong bcz fossils were dated not sloth was dated
E- wrong --which
in A vs D ==> D it the right choice bcz it is the dating of the fossil that makes it the earliest known mammal .... not dating and finding together as mentioned in A
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts