It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score:650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Schools: Booth '20, ISB '18, Booth
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT Score:650 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 07:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Everyone,

I appeared for GMAT on 28/12 and got a score of 650 (IR:3, Quant:48, Verbal:35). I thought of improving my score to 700 + level and prepped for the exam again since then. Today, I got a score of 630, which I cancelled. Needless to mention my disappointment, I have a couple of questions to ask -

1. Should I retake the exam ? I know for sure, my score (630) won't be reported, but will my attempt be counted ? And if yes, does that deter any aspect of my application ?

2. If I don't decide to opt for another turn at GMAT, which schools should I be looking forward to?

Also, below are a few bullet points of my profile-
1. 2013 graduate from BITS, Pilani (6.79 GPA)
a. Active member and sponsorship head of BITS MUN
2. Teach for India Fellowship (2013-2015)
a. Beside community engagement and classroom education uplift, volunteered and co-founded the first chapter of KKM (Khel Khel Mein - now turned into NGO)
b. Led the Jaipur expansion project of Teach for India. Researched the educational landscape and the expansion potential of TFI. Built partnerships with like-minded NGO's and Raj. government for MoUs.
3. Been working as Executive in KPMG, Bangalore.(2015 - present)
a. Turned from Trainee to Executive in a span of 6 months, a fate never achieved by anyone before.
b. Received Kudos and Rising Star within 1 year of joining.
c. Leading a key role in the current project. Received several client appreciations.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3410 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Score:650 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 11:02
Hi tushartiwari4u,

First off, a 650/Q48 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for. By extension, once you have a list of Schools, you'll have a better sense of whether you should retake the GMAT or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3410 [0], given: 172

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.42
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 09:06
tushartiwari4u wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I appeared for GMAT on 28/12 and got a score of 650 (IR:3, Quant:48, Verbal:35). I thought of improving my score to 700 + level and prepped for the exam again since then. Today, I got a score of 630, which I cancelled. Needless to mention my disappointment, I have a couple of questions to ask -

1. Should I retake the exam ? I know for sure, my score (630) won't be reported, but will my attempt be counted ? And if yes, does that deter any aspect of my application ?

2. If I don't decide to opt for another turn at GMAT, which schools should I be looking forward to?

Also, below are a few bullet points of my profile-
1. 2013 graduate from BITS, Pilani (6.79 GPA)
a. Active member and sponsorship head of BITS MUN
2. Teach for India Fellowship (2013-2015)
a. Beside community engagement and classroom education uplift, volunteered and co-founded the first chapter of KKM (Khel Khel Mein - now turned into NGO)
b. Led the Jaipur expansion project of Teach for India. Researched the educational landscape and the expansion potential of TFI. Built partnerships with like-minded NGO's and Raj. government for MoUs.
3. Been working as Executive in KPMG, Bangalore.(2015 - present)
a. Turned from Trainee to Executive in a span of 6 months, a fate never achieved by anyone before.
b. Received Kudos and Rising Star within 1 year of joining.
c. Leading a key role in the current project. Received several client appreciations.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

What schools would you like to apply to? If your GMAT is already within or above their ranges, it might not make sense to take again. If your 650 is below their ranges, I would begin studying again.

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
D

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 14:34
Hi tushartiwari4u

Quote:

If the average score of school you're targeting way higher than 650, then you might want to consider retaking.
Yes the attempt is counted. Only re-scheduling the exam is not counted as attempt. There are now 8 life time attempts limit is set for GMAT.
No cancelling the score does not deter any aspect of your application because school will not know about this attempt.

Quote:

Apart from IIM ABC other schools in india do not have really high average GMAT score on their board. So you can apply to those colleges including ISB as well :)
IMO 650 is not a bad score. its decent.
Your graduation college, your age, the brand you're working with and extra curriculars are great factors to get you a call from ISB.

Spend your time writing the best application. that will help a lot.

I think you do have time to give GMAT another shot i.e April, May and June. Later you can start your application process from 1st July. You still would have at least 60 days to write applications.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Booth '20, ISB '18, Booth
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V35
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 09:04
Thank you HKD1710!

Your input really helps a lot. To be honest, I am glad and little surprised to know that my current score in combination with a good application can get me a call from ISB. Is it really the case because I have an impression of 700 for ISB ?

Re: GMAT Score:650   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 09:04

GMAT Score:650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap