Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619221 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle inscribed in a circle. Angle [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle inscribed in a circle. Angle AOD = 60° and the radius of the circle is 1. What is the ratio of the length of minor arc AD to the length of segment AD?

A. 3/π
B. 1/1
C. π/3
D. 9/8
E. π/2

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
rectangle-circle.gif

OA = OD = Radius
i.e. Angle OAD = Angle ODA = (180-60)/2 = 60
i.e. Triangle OAD is an Equilateral Triangle with side = Radius = r

i.e. Length of Line AD = r

and Length of Minor Arc AD = (60/360)2πr = πr/3

Ratio of Minor Arc AD / Length of Line AD = (πr/3) / r = π/3

Answer: Option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle inscribed in a circle. Angle [#permalink]
Circumference = \(2\pi*r = 2\pi\)
Minor Arc AD = \(\frac{60^{\circ}}{360^{\circ}}*2\pi = \frac{\pi}{3}\)

If radius = \(1\) and \(\angle\)AOC = \(60\), then all sides of \(\triangle\)AOC are equal to 1.
Thus, \(\frac{\pi}{3} : 1\) and answer choice C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Triangle OCD is isosceles. OD=OC = 1 (Radius); Hence angles opposite to equal sides equal, therefore Angle ODC = Angle OCD.

Angle AOD is exterior angle of triangle OCD.

Angle ODC + Angle OCD = Angle AOD; since OCD = ODC, we have angle OCD=ODC = 30Degrees.

Further, triangle ADC is right with Angle ACD = 30. and forms a 30-60-90 right triangle. We have AC=2 Dia circle.

Therefore AD = 1 (Rules of 30-60-90)

Minor Arc AD = (60/360) x 2 x pi x 1 = Pi/3.
AD = 1

So ratio is Pi/3.

Hope this is a correct approach.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
The answer is pi/3. the triangle is an equilateral triangle with each side r and arc is one sixth of the circumference
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619221 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle inscribed in a circle. Angle AOD = 60° and the radius of the circle is 1. What is the ratio of the length of minor arc AD to the length of segment AD?

A. 3/π
B. 1/1
C. π/3
D. 9/8
E. π/2

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
rectangle-circle.gif

800score Official Solution:

If you are really confused with this question, you may be able to get to the correct answer without doing any math. Certainly, minor arc AD is longer than line segment AD, but not by very much. So we can expect the answer to be slightly larger than 1. We can also expect the answer to contain π, since circumferences usually (but not always) have a π in them. Remember that π is approximately 3.14, so only choices (C), (D), and (E) are greater than 1. Choice (D) does not contain π, so it is probably not correct, and choice (E) is greater than 1.5, so it is probably too big.

This only leaves choice (C), which is correct here.
Now let’s actually solve the problem. Let’s start by determining the circumference of circle O:
Circumference = 2πr = 2π × 1 = 2π.

Because angle AOD measures 60°, we can deduce two things. First, the length of arc AD will be 60/360 = 1/6 of the total circumference of O. Second, if angle AOD measures 60° and the length of side AO is equal to the length of side OD, then all three angles of triangle AOD measure 60° and the triangle is an equilateral triangle with a side length of 1. Therefore, line segment AD has a length of 1.To determine the length of arc AD, multiply the circumference by 1/6:
ength of arc AD = 2π × 1/6= 2π/6 = π/3
The desired ratio is π/3 : 1, or π/3.

The correct answer is choice (C).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts