Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 27 May 2017, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian automotive engineer admitted to Kellogg (GMAT 750)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 1

Indian automotive engineer admitted to Kellogg (GMAT 750) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As part of Honda’s R&D division since 2011, I had the opportunity to work in India, Thailand and Japan. While in Japan I decided to pursue my MBA as I really enjoyed collaborating with global teams to deliver technical solutions for key projects. Moreover, observing how senior management brought in a big picture perspective and seamlessly pieced together components such as finance, strategy and technology to meet organisational objectives provided me with the impetus to equip myself with a formal management degree to take on similar roles in the future.

I started out by reaching out to college seniors and alumni of b-schools to understand the best fit school for me and zeroed in on a couple of colleges. Armed with a good score of 750 in my first attempt I decided to seek professional help to get suitable guidance for the applications. After talking to several consultants in India, I decided to opt for the market leader in terms of experience and top-15 results – Admissions Gateway as many of my college seniors and friends gave great Admissions Gateway reviews.

The first step was to build my resume. Until I began with Rajdeep Chimni I thought my resume was very good but then found out that there is a completely structured and different way of presenting things, beginning with the basic STAR format. I was happily forced to think a lot more deeply about why I was doing the work I was doing and what impact my work had on the organisation. The resume makeover was tiring but amazing.

I then went on to think hard about my short term and long term post-MBA goals. Based on that we were able to shortlist the schools which would be a good fit for me. I would advise building a resume and really understanding your goals before going to school selection.

Then I devoted time networking with college students/alums, i.e. 2-3 weeks before college deadline. Admissions Gateway helped get in touch with 4-5 students from each college so that I could build in the key takeaways from our conversations into my essays. So for any interactions you have please have them keeping in mind how you will leverage information in your essays and interviews later. My counsellor Piyush was tireless and more active than reactive. I think one benefit of a counsellor that I was not aware of before is that you are accountable to someone and work gets done.

I applied to 4 colleges in the first round and I must say the first application was the hardest owing to my inexperience. I would advise everyone to start by June – July to have enough time as it is best to have time on your side. While I was confident of my interviewing skills, the wealth of knowledge I had gained about the academic offerings and college life from students and alums and practice with Piyush helped me quickly establish a good rapport with my interviewer.

I felt really good about my interviews. I got admitted to a good school with $40K but I was on cloud nine when I got the Kellogg admit call on the fateful evening of Dec 14, while I was on the way to a birthday party. Safe to say, the purpose of the party got dual and Christmas came early for me. So excited now to be part of such a brilliantly talented and diverse community and looking forward to the newly built Global Hub in Evanston!

I hope my experience helps some of you and I am happy to connect for a quick call or DM.
Good luck, and may the Force be with you :-D !
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 440

Kudos [?]: 3181 [0], given: 2303

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 11:17
Congrats on Admit and thanks very much for posting your application debrief.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on few points for the benefit of other applicants, who might be in the similar situation.

1. You clearly outlined the reasons for doing MBA in your debrief . But can you also tell us why you preferred US schools over Indian schools for MBA? Was it because you are looking for employment opportunities outside of India, particularly in US?

2. You did not mention anything about your post MBA plans. What you want to do after MBA - Looking to stay in the Auto industry or switching to Consulting or Finance? And why you thought Kellogg would be a better choice for fulfilling your post MBA goals?

3. Can you talk a little bit about your interview experiences with Kellogg and McComb? And how much weight do you think these schools put on interview?

Thanks again and wishing you great time at Kellogg!

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '20, LBS '19, Kogod"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Indian automotive engineer admitted to Kellogg (GMAT 750) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 17:46
congrats
inspiring
good luck
Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 18:08
Congratulations, Kellogs is a great school. Enjoy the entire process :D.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
Narenn wrote:
Congrats on Admit and thanks very much for posting your application debrief.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on few points for the benefit of other applicants, who might be in the similar situation.

1. You clearly outlined the reasons for doing MBA in your debrief . But can you also tell us why you preferred US schools over Indian schools for MBA? Was it because you are looking for employment opportunities outside of India, particularly in US?

2. You did not mention anything about your post MBA plans. What you want to do after MBA - Looking to stay in the Auto industry or switching to Consulting or Finance? And why you thought Kellogg would be a better choice for fulfilling your post MBA goals?

3. Can you talk a little bit about your interview experiences with Kellogg and McComb? And how much weight do you think these schools put on interview?

Thanks again and wishing you great time at Kellogg!

HI Naren,

Thanks for the wishes! I hope my experience benefits others in similar situation.

Happy to answer your queries:

1. Yes, having enjoyed the experience of working with global teams in Japan and Thailand, I was looking for international assignments preferably in the US. Hence applied for colleges there.

2. Good question. I missed writing on this out of excitement I guess. Yes, my Post-MBA goal is to break into consulting top 3 i.e. MBB. Hence Kellogg had always been my dream school

3. Interviews were pretty standard for Kellogg, standard questions which one prepares for like Why Kellogg, strengths, weaknesses. The interviewer had a very affable tone throughout. For McCombs, it was a bit unconventional with questions like Which other colleges have you applied and how would you decide between admissions, or at the end "tell me about yourself that I don't know so far."
I think for Kellogg, they evaluate interview in isolation with rest of application and hence they place lesser emphasis on interview compared to McCombs.

Hope I have answered your questions satisfactorily. Let me know if I have missed out on something or something you want me to further elaborate. I'd be happy to contribute if it helps other aspirants!

Best,
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 05:06
cesarucv wrote:
Congratulations, Kellogs is a great school. Enjoy the entire process :D.

Thank you and Yashbabu for the wishes :)
Re: Indian automotive engineer admitted to Kellogg (GMAT 750)   [#permalink] 26 May 2017, 05:06