GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for my profile?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I take the GMAT again?

• 50% [1]
  • 50% [1]
Intern
Intern
B
Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for my profile?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 21:46
Hello everyone.
This is my first post and it is a desperate one.
They say that if you ask enough number of people you will eventually end up at the right answer.
This forum has been of immense help to me.
Thank you.

I took the GMAT 3 times and here are the stats:
1. V27(47%) - Q50(87%) - AWA6.0(90%) 650
2. V26(44%) - Q50(87%) - AWA5.5(71%) 640
3. V31(62%) - Q51(97%) - AWA6.0(90%) 690

After the last attempt I figured that GMAT is not really my cup of tea. However I am planning to write it again.
But before that I wish to apply to a few universities and try my luck.
I have targeted a few universities.
The European universities: HEC Paris, INSEAD, IESE Business School and IE.
The Asian Universities: NUS
Names of any universities that I might have missed are welcome. Please note that I want to pursue a business degree in Operations and Supply Chain.

I have over 3.5 years of experience in an Offshore Oil and Gas Extraction platform as an executive officer. I hold a technical and a semi-managerial post. I have some volunteer work under my belt as well. I was hoping that my out of normal work EX and my quantitative score might help me get into a decent MBA college.
I am a little confused.

The Main question: Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for the targeted universities with my profile?

Thank you all for your help.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for my profile?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 21:51
abhir00p wrote:
Hello everyone.
They say that if you ask enough number of people you will eventually end up at the right answer.
Thank you.

After the last attempt I figured that GMAT is not really my cup of tea. However I am planning to write it again.
Names of any universities that I might have missed are welcome. Please note that I want to pursue a business degree in Operations and Supply Chain.

I have over 3.5 years of experience in an Offshore Oil and Gas Extraction platform as an executive officer. I hold a technical and a semi-managerial post. I have some volunteer work under my belt as well. I was hoping that my out of normal work EX and my quantitative score might help me get into a decent MBA college.
I am a little confused.

The Main question: Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for the targeted universities with my profile?

Before you say (again) that the GMAT is not your cup of tea, just take a minute to reflect on the fact that you have a 690, a score most (86%) people will not be able to achieve. I have students in the schools you've mentioned, and 690 is definitely in the right "range". For a more detailed analysis, you might find it helpful to ask here as well.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 09:59
abhir00p wrote:
Hello everyone.
Thank you.

I am a little confused.

Though I am no expert, based on my understanding I think a 20 point improvement on your score will help the application. A verbal score greater than 70%ile would surely be useful.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 13:21
abhir00p wrote:
Hello everyone.
Thank you.

I am a little confused.

690 is a good score.
And rather than studying for 3-4 months in order to give it agin,I recommend that you concentrate on the Apps.
It will More beneficial.

Regards
Stone Cold

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

BSchool Thread Master
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 00:37
abhir00p wrote:
Hello everyone.
Thank you.

I am a little confused.

I think a 690 is great for the schools you are applying to. I'd suggest you compare this with the average GMAT scores at your target schools. You can also have a crack at the GRE if these schools accept it. My understanding is that the verbal sections on the GRE are different than those on the GMAT; the verbal on the GRE puts more emphasis on the vocabulary. It is worth a shot in my opinion.

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 16:37
Hey There,

Congrats on the 690, it is definitely a good score as everyone else mentioned. However, can you give a bit more information regarding the part of your profile which you cannot change?

I am asking this because, if application to American schools is any indication of the admission philosophy in Europe, some traits definitely matter a lot. Just to name a few:

1. How old are you? With 3.5 years of executive experience, I would imagine you're not a 25 year-old applying for b-school. Most top European schools have an average age at matriculation at around 29, so if you are around the late 20's/ early 30's age group, it would help. If you are, say, 40 now, then it might be a different story.

2. Your race/ethnicity? In the US, if you're of African or Aboriginal descend, you could likely get into a top 10 schools with sub-700 GMAT scores fairly easily. Whereas if you are Chinese or Indian, you are looking at a 720+ for a school like UCLA or Duke. Not to get into the debate here, but just keep that in mind when you are deciding whether to merit another GMAT attempt.

3. Your gender? I think this is pretty universal - if you are a woman, you would generally be having an easier time at least for the admission process. If you are a man, the opposite.

4. Your company? If you work for a well-known company, then you would have a much better chance than working for a small size, nameless firm somewhere in the middle of nowhere. This is not fair as I believe you actually learn more from a small firm - but I just know business schools also care about their own prestige, and would hire an Apple employee over someone from Company Balabububalabu.

If you are slightly more experienced than your expected classmates, belong not to a group that enjoys preferential treatment, male, and work for a smaller firm, I would recommend you shoot for a 720. I think you have a chance to get into your listed schools, but with a 720 it just increases the odds substantially. OR, have you considered EMBA? Those programs care less about GMAT average (I personally disagree with this approach but oh well), and put more emphasis on your work experience. Maybe you can try that?

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 17:02
I will suggest you listen to Stonecold. He's a man of great wisdom. However I am going to ask you one question. Do you think you will be happy in life with a 690 score? Seriously ask yourself. is 690 enough for you? Will you be able to live with yourself thinking that you could've gotten 700+ but you chose to settle for 690. A good score nonetheless no doubt but not the score that everyone wants especially not you. You have a goal in mind, and you got so close to it. You could very well spend some time and reach that goal or you could simply just focus on your app.

Its up to you.

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for my profile? &nbs [#permalink] 19 May 2017, 17:02

Is a 690 in the GMAT enough for my profile?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap