Last visit was: 16 Jul 2024, 12:23 It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 12:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [61]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 932
Own Kudos [?]: 1558 [13]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 18
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [11]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
General Discussion
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
I think answer should be E. What if it is a kite type of shape. Then it is not a parallelogram but still meets the both criteria. I would wait for experts to comment..
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
I think answer should be E. What if it is a kite type of shape. Then it is not a parallelogram but still meets the both criteria. I would wait for experts to comment..


IMO as u say mate kite meets both the criterion and it is not a parallelogram therefore we are getting a definite answer
to with combining as "C" ...by combining the two information we are getting definite answer as NO "it is not a parallelogram" because it will be a kite which is NOT a parallelogram...

plz give kudos if it was a help..
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
but with the current information it could be a rectangle, which is a rectangle and rectangle is a parallogram too. right? :(
User avatar
Current Student
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 578
Own Kudos [?]: 4344 [6]
Given Kudos: 197
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
4
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
but with the current information it could be a rectangle, which is a rectangle and rectangle is a parallogram too. right? :(


diagonals of RECTANGLE are not perpedicular,so in this case it cannot be rectangle.

diagonals are perpendicular only for SQUARE/RHOMBUS/KITE.

hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 82
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
can someone please elaborate why a parallelogram does not fit both 1 & 2? I understand the kite part, but have a little confusion on the other.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 13
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
why cannot the answer be B

Statement 2 says that the diagonals are perpendicular, which means the figure can either be a square/rhombus/kite. This confirms that it is NOT A PARALLELOGRAM. A definite answer.

Have I missed something?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 134
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
why cannot the answer be B

Statement 2 says that the diagonals are perpendicular, which means the figure can either be a square/rhombus/kite. This confirms that it is NOT A PARALLELOGRAM. A definite answer.

Have I missed something?

Thanks.


I agree! The answer should be B.

chetan2u and Bunuel could you please help us out with this question? :)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
rekhabishop wrote:
AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
why cannot the answer be B

Statement 2 says that the diagonals are perpendicular, which means the figure can either be a square/rhombus/kite. This confirms that it is NOT A PARALLELOGRAM. A definite answer.

Have I missed something?

Thanks.


I agree! The answer should be B.

chetan2u and Bunuel could you please help us out with this question? :)


Every square and Rhombus is a parallelogram


A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with 2 pairs of parallel sides.
The opposite sides on every square and on every rhombus are parallel, so every square and rhombus is a parallelogram.
Director
Director
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 569
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
innocous wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ?

1) Two sides measure 8 cm in length while the other two sides measure 6 cm in length.

2) AC is perpendicular to BD.


ccooley and Bunuel

This question https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-abcd-a-ro ... l#p1921432

States that if we know that a quadrilatral has perpendicular bisectors, two diagonals that bisect at 90, the we have enough to know that the figure is a rhombus? And if we know that the figure is a rhombus then we also know that the figure is a paralleogram? Kudos for explanation.
Director
Director
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 569
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
innocous wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ?

1) Two sides measure 8 cm in length while the other two sides measure 6 cm in length.

2) AC is perpendicular to BD.


ccooley https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... 85336.html

This question also states that if we know that the diagonals of a quadrilateral are perpendicular bisectors of each other then we know for sure that the figure is a rhombus? And because a parallelogram is a broader category then wouldn't the figure have to be a parallelogram? What is the difference between the diagonals of a four sided figure being perpendicular to each other vs being perpendicular bisectors? Kudos
Director
Director
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 569
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
innocous wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ?

1) Two sides measure 8 cm in length while the other two sides measure 6 cm in length.

2) AC is perpendicular to BD.


ccooley https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... 85336.html

This question also states that if we know that the diagonals of a quadrilateral are perpendicular bisectors of each other then we know for sure that the figure is a rhombus? And because a parallelogram is a broader category then wouldn't the figure have to be a parallelogram? What is the difference between the diagonals of a four sided figure being perpendicular to each other vs being perpendicular bisectors? Kudos


ccooley and Bunuel https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... 45937.html

This question too- could please explain the difference between simply perpendicular diagonals and diagonals that are perpendicular bisectors?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94370
Own Kudos [?]: 641398 [0]
Given Kudos: 85332
Send PM
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
innocous wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ?

1) Two sides measure 8 cm in length while the other two sides measure 6 cm in length.

2) AC is perpendicular to BD.


ccooley https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... 85336.html

This question also states that if we know that the diagonals of a quadrilateral are perpendicular bisectors of each other then we know for sure that the figure is a rhombus? And because a parallelogram is a broader category then wouldn't the figure have to be a parallelogram? What is the difference between the diagonals of a four sided figure being perpendicular to each other vs being perpendicular bisectors? Kudos


ccooley and Bunuel https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... 45937.html

This question too- could please explain the difference between simply perpendicular diagonals and diagonals that are perpendicular bisectors?


A perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

A line segment bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts.

A line is perpendicular to another if it meets or crosses it at right angles (90°).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 369
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Location: India
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Answer cannot be B. A rhombus and a kite has perpendicular diagonals. A rhombus is a parallelogram, but kite is not.

Combining 1 and 2, the given figure can't be rhombus(parallelogram), because we have unequal sides. so it must be kite and not a rhombus(parallelogram).

Answer (C)
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 29
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
1) Two sides measure 8 cm in length while the other two sides measure 6 cm in length.
2) AC is perpendicular to BD.

from (1). it can be a kite or a paralellogram.
(2). it can be a kite or a square or a rhombus (for a parallelogram to have digonals intersect at 90,
all sides have to be same)

Combined, its clear that its not a square/rhombus. Hence it is a kite. Hence (C)
Intern
Intern
Joined: 29 Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Statement 1:tells us this is not a square. So it could be a rectangle or rhombus. Two answers - not suff.

Statement 2: Thing to know here: Perpendicular diagonals only apply to a square or a rhombus - not rectangles. So this could now be a rhombus or a square.Two answers - not suff.

Putting them together rules out both squares and rectangles. This must be a rhombus. Idc what a rhombus is in terms of data suff. All I know is I narrowed this *complain* down to one possibility - who cares if it's a parallelogram or not.
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33993
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a parallelogram ? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94370 posts