GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!

Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Kellogg (No Money) or Ross (Full Scholarship)?

  • 30% [8]
  • 69% [18]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:20
1
Hi all - I'm looking for opinions here. I was lucky enough to be admitted to both Kellogg and Ross, and Ross offered me a full scholarship. I'm a career switcher into brand management, hopefully at a top CPG company. I went on campus to interview at both schools, and enjoyed them both immensely. The students I've spoken to at both places seem incredibly nice and down to earth. Here's more current thinking about each:

Ross
+Full scholarship gives me great financial flexibility during school and removes the temptation to take a tech marketing job with ~$20k higher starting salary than CPG (or, god forbid, go back into consulting). I believe CPG will be a better launching pad for me in the long term (dreams of the C-suite)
+MAP and access to Nielsen marketing data seem like great opportunities to cut my teeth in marketing and prove myself to potential employers
+I got the impression that Michigan alumni were more enthusiastic about the school than Kellogg/Northwestern's
+Lots of growth happening - new buildings, rapidly improving career stats and rankings
-While it's rapidly improving, reputations take time to change, and people who aren't here and on P&Q every day may still think of it as in a different league than Kellogg
-While roughly the same CPG companies recruit at both schools, not sure if they'll apply a tougher standard/stats baseline to Ross students than Kellogg ones

Kellogg
+Still the school people think of as the gold-standard for Marketing. More stable and stronger reputation in most categories
+Dean Sally Blount. I heard her speak and she blew me away. Confident that the school will continue do to great things under her watch
+New Global Hub - everyone seems excited about it and it looks awesome. Might usher in other new energy in other areas
+Because of the reputation difference, I think Kellogg alumni might be better connected than those from Ross, even if they're harder to reach. Thinking this may pay off later in my career
+/-Group work - I love it at work and I think it's great that Kellogg attracts a collaborative student body, but I wonder if there may be too much of it in class settings? Just not sure how it could play out
-Is it ~$130k better than Ross?
-Kellogg seems to want to shed it's "Marketing School" image, and that seems to be reflected in declining CPG/brand management placement. While marketing remains strong, there's a strong (albeit, also secular) shift towards tech. Not sure they're keeping their foot on the gas in CPG recruiting as much

Sorry for the dissertation. Again, both schools seemed to be a great culture fit, and I think either could get me about the same first job. I guess this may come down to whether "Go to the best school you get into" is really true. Right now I feel like I could see myself enjoying either school while regretting not having gone to the other. Thoughts?

Originally posted by CPG4me on 08 Jan 2017, 12:06.
Last edited by CPG4me on 17 Jan 2017, 10:20, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16927
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 12:36
Congratulations on getting into 2 great programs and getting a full scholarship at Ross.

It seems you have done a substantial amount of research. I am assuming you will be going to the admitted students weekend? That often is a big factor to confirm and address any concerns.

Personally I would not hesitate much to take Ross up on their offer. Kellogg's name is not the same as HSW and I would not pay much of a premium for it.

In addition Ross has been a top 10 ranked school back in the day (a while back in the day - 2004 or 2005. So it does have the potential.

A number of Ross alums that I stay in touch with have done very well in terms of their career and they were definitely not held back by Ross's name.

Keeping an open mind until you have a chance to go to the admitted students weekend is the best thing you can do at the moment.

PS. I can name quite a few people who would be willing to give up quite a bit for a chance to go to Ross even without a scholarship


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Location: United States (MI)
Schools: Ross '19 (M)
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 02:40
CPG4me wrote:
Hi all - I'm looking for opinions here. I was lucky enough to be admitted to both Kellogg and Ross, and Ross offered me a full scholarship. I'm a career switcher into brand management, hopefully at a top CPG company. I went on campus to interview at both schools, and enjoyed them both immensely. The students I've spoken to at both places seem incredibly nice and down to earth. Here's more current thinking about each:

Ross
+Full scholarship gives me great financial flexibility during school and removes the temptation to take a tech marketing job with ~$20k higher starting salary than CPG (or, god forbid, go back into consulting). I believe CPG will be a better launching pad for me in the long term (dreams of the C-suite)
+MAP and access to Nielsen marketing data seem like great opportunities to cut my teeth in marketing and prove myself to potential employers
+I got the impression that Michigan alumni were more enthusiastic about the school than Kellogg/Northwestern's
+Lots of growth happening - new buildings, rapidly improving career stats and rankings
-While it's rapidly improving, reputations take time to change, and people who aren't here and on P&Q every day may still think of it as in a different league than Kellogg
-While roughly the same CPG companies recruit at both schools, not sure if they'll apply a tougher standard/stats baseline to Ross students than Kellogg ones

Kellogg
+Still the school people think of as the gold-standard for Marketing. More stable and stronger reputation in most categories
+Dean Sally Blount. I heard her speak and she blew me away. Confident that the school will continue do to great things under her watch
+New Global Hub - everyone seems excited about it and it looks awesome. Might usher in other new energy in other areas
+Because of the reputation difference, I think Kellogg alumni might be better connected than those from Ross, even if they're harder to reach. Thinking this may pay off later in my career
+/-Group work - I love it at work and I think it's great that Kellogg attracts a collaborative student body, but I wonder if there may be too much of it in class settings? Just not sure how it could play out
-Is it ~$130k better than Ross?
-Kellogg seems to want to shed it's "Marketing School" image, and that seems to be reflected in declining CPG/brand management placement. While marketing remains strong, there's a strong (albeit, also secular) shift towards tech. Not sure they're keeping their foot on the gas in CPG recruiting as much

Sorry for the dissertation. Again, both schools seemed to be a great culture fit, and I think either could get me about the same first job. I guess this may come down to whether "Go to the best school you get into" is really true. Right now I feel like I could see myself enjoying either school while regretting not having gone to the other. Thoughts?


Whilst I think Kellogg is the better school, it's certainly not $130k better, and like you said similar CPG companies recruit at similar levels (~10% at Ross, ~12% at Kellogg). I think you'd be in a similar situation at both schools IMO in terms of post-MBA. I'd pick Ross given the +/- you have given above.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1877
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 04:34
As both schools will translate my dream job into reality, I would chose th eone with least cost. I do not want to graduate with burden. Both have almost have same recruiters.

I will vote for Ross.
Board of Directors
avatar
B
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1591
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 09:30
I have to lean Ross here as well unless Kellogg will match $$. Both will get you into CPG so I'd say the difference there isn't that much and certainly not $130k.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 10:18
Thanks for the thoughts so far! I'm still going back and forth every day.

I should add/clarify that debt isn't a huge concern for me. I'm fortunate in that my parents have agreed to help me out a bit on tuition. I think the scholarship difference will be mostly about my lifestyle as a student.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 333
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 18:59
CPG4me wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts so far! I'm still going back and forth every day.

I should add/clarify that debt isn't a huge concern for me. I'm fortunate in that my parents have agreed to help me out a bit on tuition. I think the scholarship difference will be mostly about my lifestyle as a student.


Whether you need to take debt isn't that important. There are a lot of things you can do with $130k, whether it is your parents' money or yours. $130k is the money guaranteed for the next 2 years no matter what happens afterward. Think about it this way. If you went with Kellogg, how long would it take you to make that $130k back? Are you willing to work harder in the next few years to make up for any disadvantage Ross has over Kellogg in order to make $130k?

Also, if you feel like giving back to the GMAT Club community, you can share parts of your outstanding profile with us. :wink:
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 31
Location: Chile
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 04:40
Hi,

Could you please share how did you get the scholarship from Ross?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 51
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 12:18
A full scholarship at Ross???

What? I thought Ross was one of the stingiest schools around. I'm very surprised at the scholarship offer. Just based on the fact that you got Ross to open up their pocketbooks, has me leaning towards Ross. $130k is no small amount of money.

Please update us on the final decision.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 20:16
Kellogg si the top marketing program for a reason and will remain so for the near future so I would not worry about that. It is also the superior brand hence your apprehension with going Ross. Both schools have a similar culture so I don't think this will be a big difference maker. I think the full ride is really crucial here, Ross has strong CPG recruiting and given you don't seem to be interested in the diversity of career opportunities Kellogg probably has over Ross, I would go with Ross. You will have a great two years reach your career goals and do it for "free"!
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 238
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 23:36
Wondering what did you finally decide?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 15:39
1
Hi all, thanks for all of the insights! I decided to put down my deposit at Kellogg - I really loved their admitted students' weekend and bonded with a lot of my future classmates.
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 238
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 16:21
Wondering if you tried negotiating with Kellogg? Given you have such a good offer from an almost comparable school...

CPG4me wrote:
Hi all, thanks for all of the insights! I decided to put down my deposit at Kellogg - I really loved their admitted students' weekend and bonded with a lot of my future classmates.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 17:40
Rohit6 wrote:
Wondering if you tried negotiating with Kellogg? Given you have such a good offer from an almost comparable school...

CPG4me wrote:
Hi all, thanks for all of the insights! I decided to put down my deposit at Kellogg - I really loved their admitted students' weekend and bonded with a lot of my future classmates.


I did try to negotiate, but I wasn't able to get any money from them.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship) &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2017, 17:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg (No Money) vs Ross (Full Scholarship)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.