GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 10:20
Hello everybody,

I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT A LOW GPA. MY UNDERGRAD GPA IS VERY LOW (2.4) ON ECONOMICS WITH FINANCE APPLICATIONS AT SMU (SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY. I AM NOT A US CITIZEN NOR A FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKER ALTHOUGH I IMPROVED A LOT MY ENGLISH WHILE STUDYING MY UNDERGRAD IN THE UNITED STATES FOR 4 YEARS. MY BACKGROUND POST COLLEGE INCLUDES WORKING FOR 2 YEARS AT A PRIVATE EQUITY INVESTMENT FIRM IN MEXICO CITY AND JUST RECENTLY JOINING THE FAMILY BUSINESS. I HAVE ALSO BEING INVOLVE WITH A PRIVATE CHARITY INSTITUTION TO HELP THEM MANAGE THEIR FINANCE AND HELPING DOING EVENTS TO RAISE MONEY . I HAVE HEARD MBA PROGRAMS LOVE CANDIDATES WHO ARE RELATED TO FAMILY BUSINESS AND CONSIDERING THE BUSINESS MY FAMILY OWNS IS ONE OF THE TOP 20 COMPANIES IN THE COUNTRY I AM FROM DO ANY OF YOU SEE ANY CHANCE I COULD INTO COLUMBIA BY DOING A GOOD GMAT AND GOOD ESSAY QUESTIONS EVEN THOUGH HAVING A REALLY GPA?

THANK YOU
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 10:38
Truth is, anyone can get into the college of their dreams if they have the power to convince. Personally if I were you, I'd take the essays as an opportunity to convince them that the low GPA was due to xyz reason, and give them other supporting examples like a GREAT GMAT score. While a low GPA definitely makes things harder, it still doesn't make anything impossible. If you're so thoroughly convinced Columbia is good for you, put in words WHY. Let them know why Columbia is what no other place can be for you, and in return you offer XYZ.

I'm no expert, but from what I know, you shouldn't give up. :)
LBS Moderator
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 10:53
I think it is certainly going to be a challenge, however, the GMAT provides a great opportunity to showcase your ability to handle the academic rigour of a program such as Columbia.

While a good GMAT score might not fully erase the disadvantage of having a lower than average GPA, a good Gmat score is certainly going to reduce the doubts of the admission committee as to whether you have the necessary tools to successfully finish your degree.

All the best,
Chris
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 10:54
josemartinr wrote:
Hello everybody,

I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT A LOW GPA. MY UNDERGRAD GPA IS VERY LOW (2.4) ON ECONOMICS WITH FINANCE APPLICATIONS AT SMU (SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY. I AM NOT A US CITIZEN NOR A FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKER ALTHOUGH I IMPROVED A LOT MY ENGLISH WHILE STUDYING MY UNDERGRAD IN THE UNITED STATES FOR 4 YEARS. MY BACKGROUND POST COLLEGE INCLUDES WORKING FOR 2 YEARS AT A PRIVATE EQUITY INVESTMENT FIRM IN MEXICO CITY AND JUST RECENTLY JOINING THE FAMILY BUSINESS. I HAVE ALSO BEING INVOLVE WITH A PRIVATE CHARITY INSTITUTION TO HELP THEM MANAGE THEIR FINANCE AND HELPING DOING EVENTS TO RAISE MONEY . I HAVE HEARD MBA PROGRAMS LOVE CANDIDATES WHO ARE RELATED TO FAMILY BUSINESS AND CONSIDERING THE BUSINESS MY FAMILY OWNS IS ONE OF THE TOP 20 COMPANIES IN THE COUNTRY I AM FROM DO ANY OF YOU SEE ANY CHANCE I COULD INTO COLUMBIA BY DOING A GOOD GMAT AND GOOD ESSAY QUESTIONS EVEN THOUGH HAVING A REALLY GPA?

THANK YOU

Sure you can. Bschools admit many candidates with different profiles. They like the cohort to be more balanced. So you can always compensate your GPA with GMAT and most importantly your story . Believe in yourself and put in words why columbia ? what you are going to bring to their table.

Start searching for alum in Linkedin, fb,quora and be in touch with them. They will guide you even better. All the best.

Best Regards
Murthy K
My other posts that helped aspirants

https://gmatclub.com/forum/p2255320
Procrastination vs Focus : https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic291963.html#p2250558
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 22:50
josemartinr wrote:
Hello everybody,

THANK YOU

Hey Jose, have you considered the January term (J-term) program? It's still part of the MBA program, and many of the J-term students are from family businesses. You may be a great fit for it! Happy to take this offline if you want to continue the conversation.
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 05:44
Hi josemartinr,

Thank you for your post. If you are still considering an MBA from Columbia, I recommend you work on developing your profile a bit. As has been suggested, a greater than average GMAT score can improve your chances of admissions, especially with a lower than average GPA. To showcase you have what it takes, and have matured since your undergraduate days, you can also enroll in courses like HBX CORe, which are designed for people considering an MBA. This is a certificate program offered by Harvard Business School, and if you do well in it, you can show Columbia that you can handle the rigor of a top program.

Of course, it goes without saying that you will require strong essays showcasing your leadership, drive, innovation, and community engagement to really sell your story to the admissions team. I am happy to continue this conversation and gain a better understanding of how your profile has improved since November. If interested, please click here to schedule a 30-minute call.

Good luck!

josemartinr wrote:
Hello everybody,

THANK YOU

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 09:00
SiaAdmissions wrote:
To showcase you have what it takes, and have matured since your undergraduate days, you can also enroll in courses like HBX CORe, which are designed for people considering an MBA. This is a certificate program offered by Harvard Business School, and if you do well in it, you can show Columbia that you can handle the rigor of a top program.

Hi SiaAdmissions,
I'm on the same boat like the original poster, josemartinr. I did some online courses from various top-notch university of US. Will those online courses help for getting admission in Columbia Business School (CBS)?
Here are some of those courses:
1/ Tsinghua University, China on Financial Analysis and Decision Making
2/ University of California-Berkeley, USA on Principles of Written English
3/ Harvard University, USA on Health and Society
4/ Cornell University, USA on Networks, Crowds, and Markets

5/ CCNA certified (CISCO Certified Network Associate)
6/ The United States Department of State on TOEFL Test Preparation: The insider’s guide
Should I take more online courses for getting admission in M7 including CBS?

And some voluntary activities like:

1/ Treasurer of Rotaract Club of Dhaka
2/ Volunteer for Bangladesh (the largest voluntary organization of my country)
3/ Member of VSO
4/ Life Member of Red Crescent
5/ Volunteer of Red Crescent Society
6/ Activista-ActionAid International
Should I involve with other voluntary activities?

Leadership:
--> Toastmasters International

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 10:59
Hi AsadAbu,

Thank you for your post. I like that you have taken a number of different classes, which showcase a love of continuous learning. Can I assume that these courses were taken through coursera offerings? If so, i think they add value to your overall application, but they are evaluated a bit differently than a program for which you apply for admission to and is structured for a specific type of student. I would require more information about your profile to adequately evaluate. As to the volunteer work, it looks like there are plenty of engagements, so I wouldn't spend more time there.

While the GPA, GMAT, and volunteer & leadership experiences add value to your b-school application, they are not the sole determining factor. An equally important component of your admissions is your ability to showcase your leadership, drive, and innovative spirit in the experiences you've gained and how you see them helping you in the MBA program and beyond. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

AsadAbu wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
To showcase you have what it takes, and have matured since your undergraduate days, you can also enroll in courses like HBX CORe, which are designed for people considering an MBA. This is a certificate program offered by Harvard Business School, and if you do well in it, you can show Columbia that you can handle the rigor of a top program.

Hi SiaAdmissions,
I'm on the same boat like the original poster, josemartinr. I did some online courses from various top-notch university of US. Will those online courses help for getting admission in Columbia Business School (CBS)?

6/ The United States Department of State on TOEFL Test Preparation: The insider’s guide

3/ Member of VSO

Leadership:

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 09:11
SiaAdmissions
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Can I assume that these courses were taken through coursera offerings?

No, this course has been completed from edx. So what do you think about edx course?

SiaAdmissions wrote:
but they are evaluated a bit differently than a program for which you apply for admission to and is structured for a specific type of student.

Could you explain little bit on this part, please?

SiaAdmissions wrote:
I would require more information about your profile to adequately evaluate.

Ok, I'll give you a PM on this matter. Thanks for your help.
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi AsadAbu,

Thank you for your post. I like that you have taken a number of different classes, which showcase a love of continuous learning. Can I assume that these courses were taken through coursera offerings? If so, i think they add value to your overall application, but they are evaluated a bit differently than a program for which you apply for admission to and is structured for a specific type of student. I would require more information about your profile to adequately evaluate. As to the volunteer work, it looks like there are plenty of engagements, so I wouldn't spend more time there.

While the GPA, GMAT, and volunteer & leadership experiences add value to your b-school application, they are not the sole determining factor. An equally important component of your admissions is your ability to showcase your leadership, drive, and innovative spirit in the experiences you've gained and how you see them helping you in the MBA program and beyond. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

AsadAbu wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:

Hi SiaAdmissions,

3/ Member of VSO

Leadership:

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 10:30
Every school has room for someone with a low GPA but you have to excel in the rest of your application - and the road will be tough. My advice
1) Study study study for the GMAT. You will need an amazing score (preferably 750+) to counter the GPA
2) Take a class. One way to show a school that you are now ready academically is to take a quantitatively oriented class (in English - try Berkeley Extension) and do very well.
3) Make sure you show true leadership experience in everything you do - from your work experience to your extracurriculars. Since you work for a family company you have the opportunity to take major chances and initiatives you might not at a larger company. Try to do something that will make a huge difference to the company or community.
4) Consider J-Term. If you are planning to return to the family business you don't need the internship and anecdotally it is considered slightly easier to gain acceptance to J-Term

Also - keep in mind that the school is assessing YOU, not the company. It doesn't matter if the company is in the top 20 or not - what matters is the impact you make there.

Any questions, let me know.

Pamela Jaffe
MBA Admissions Counselor (and CBS '06)
The Jaffe Advantage
https://jaffeadvantage.com
Email pamela@jaffeadvantage.com for a free consultation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Low GPA   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2019, 10:30

Low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: jeometricals, Zakyfish22