GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 13:40

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 22:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:11) correct 21% (01:27) wrong based on 465 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT® Official Guide Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC
Online test bank question number : CR02851

Which of the following most logically completes the market forecaster's argument?

Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are comparatively scarce but drops sharply when pecans are abundant. Thus, in high-yield years, growers often store part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses until after the next year's harvest, hoping for higher prices then. Because of bad weather, this year's pecan crop will be very small. Nevertheless, pecan prices this year will not be significantly higher than last year, since __________.

(A) the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year, the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widely established

(B) last year's pecan harvest was the largest in the last 40 years

(C) pecan prices have remained relatively stable in recent years

(D) pecan yields for some farmers were as high this year as they had been last year

(E) the quality of this year's pecan crop is as high as the quality of any pecan crop in the previous five years

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 01:30
If last year, most of the farmers stored pecans in large refrigerators, then this year, despite a low pecan yield, prices of pecans will be lower than last year or similar to last year because farmers will sell last years yield and flood the market with pecans

Only option B supports the above.

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

examPAL Representative
G
Re: Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 03:25
the answer is B.

we can answer this using the

Logical

approach, since this question is about straightforward inference.
The argument tells us that: when pecans are scarce, the price is high. however, this year the price is not high > this means pecans must not be scarce. Add to this the two additional bits of information: few pecans grew this year, but when there are many pecans they can be stored for the next year. The conclusion is clear: last year there must have been many pecans, which were then stored, resulting in a fair amount this year. This is answer (B): last year's pecan harvest was the largest in the last 40 years

As always, we can also eliminate the other answers:

(A) the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year, the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widely established - irelevant, which cares about last time?

(C) pecan prices have remained relatively stable in recent years doesn't mean they will this year, as we know, price is determined by scarcity

(D) pecan yields for some farmers were as high this year as they had been last year who cares about other famers?

(E) the quality of this year's pecan crop is as high as the quality of any pecan crop in the previous five years we care about quantity, not quality

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Halloween SALE at exmaPAL!

Save 25% on any GMAT/GRE course! Claim it today.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 06:32
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
the answer is B.

Logical

The argument tells us that: when pecans are scarce, the price is high. however, this year the price is not high > this means pecans must not be scarce. Add to this the two additional bits of information: few pecans grew this year, but when there are many pecans they can be stored for the next year. The conclusion is clear: last year there must have been many pecans, which were then stored, resulting in a fair amount this year. This is answer (B): last year's pecan harvest was the largest in the last 40 years

(A) the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year, the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widely established - irelevant, which cares about last time?

(C) pecan prices have remained relatively stable in recent years doesn't mean they will this year, as we know, price is determined by scarcity

(D) pecan yields for some farmers were as high this year as they had been last year who cares about other famers?

(E) the quality of this year's pecan crop is as high as the quality of any pecan crop in the previous five years we care about quantity, not quality

If you glance the argument again, we have:
"Thus, in high-yield years, growers often store part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses until after the next year's harvest, hoping for higher prices then. "

If B were correct, then it would mean that the growers would now sell their stocked products at higher prices. On the contrary, the premise says that " pecan prices this year will not be significantly higher than last year".
B logically contradicts the premise.

In my opinion, the correct answer should be A.

Premise: The price of pecans is high when pecans are comparatively scarce

A: the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year, the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widely established
Analysis: The yield of previous year is comparable to that of this year. It's not comparatively scarce. So, we can say that this year the price of pecans will not be significantly higher than last year.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 10:05
TaN1213 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
the answer is B.

Logical

If you glance the argument again, we have:
"Thus, in high-yield years, growers often store part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses until after the next year's harvest, hoping for higher prices then. "

If B were correct, then it would mean that the growers would now sell their stocked products at higher prices. On the contrary, the premise says that " pecan prices this year will not be significantly higher than last year".
B logically contradicts the premise.

In my opinion, the correct answer should be A.

Premise: The price of pecans is high when pecans are comparatively scarce

A: the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year, the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widely established
Analysis: The yield of previous year is comparable to that of this year. It's not comparatively scarce. So, we can say that this year the price of pecans will not be significantly higher than last year.

Hey TaN1213 - I disagree.
Regarding (A) - it seems to me you may be assuming that "the last time the pecan crop was as small" was last year - but nowhere does it say that. It may have been 20 years ago, in which cast this information would be irrelevant.
Regarding (B) - of (B) were correct, then there would be a large amount of pecans, meaning they would not be scarce, meaning the price would not be high. Which is what we are told.
Why do you think if (B) were correct, the price would be high?

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 14:40
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
the answer is B.

Logical

Hi DavidTutorexamPAL, I am confused with this question as well as with your explanation.

My logic here is :
- This year, pecan crop will be very small, thus, the price will be going up.
- However, pecan price this year will not be higher than last year.
- You explained that :

Quote:
however, this year the price is not high > this means pecans must not be scarce

- I disagree with "the price is not high". The passage just says the price will not be higher.

Would you mind to explain a bit more? Highly appreciated!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 03:49
septwibowo wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
the answer is B.

Logical

Hi DavidTutorexamPAL, I am confused with this question as well as with your explanation.

My logic here is :
- You explained that :

Quote:

- I disagree with "the price is not high". The passage just says the price will not be higher.

septwibowo,

I think the argument says - the price of this year's pecan crop will not be significantly higher than last year's. not being significantly higher is the key here.

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 05:36
septwibowo wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
the answer is B.

Logical

My logic here is :
- You explained that :

Quote:

You are correct that the price will not be high in a relative sense (that is, not much higher), but the logic remains the same: if pecans were scarce (relatively), the price would be a lot higher; the fact that this is not the case (they are not means higher), means the cause must not exist - they must not be scarce. (B) tells us why: we still have leftover pecans from last year.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 05:36

Market forecaster: The price of pecans is high when pecans are compara

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap