GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mid-career, low quant score

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Katz '21
GMAT 1: 640 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Sales (Journalism and Publishing)
Mid-career, low quant score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 12:38
I'd appreciate some help from someone who has advised mid-career applicants. I haven't seen a lot of mid-career stories, so I'm not sure where I stand. I'm a mid-30s woman and plan to apply to a few full-time one-year programs. Lehigh and Katz specifically have programs that look like good fits. I work in sales for a book publisher. My undergrad is in English and German. I never took an accounting or finance class, but working in sales, I deal with sales reports, P&Ls, and the finance department on a regular basis.

I studied for the GMAT for about 6 weeks. The quant section was always going to be difficult for me, so I did three sessions with a math tutor. I took the test yesterday and got a 640: Q35 (26 percentile) and V42 (96 percentile). I'm disappointed in my low quant score, but it was never much higher than that in my practice tests.

I've been hoping that a mediocre-decent score, combined with my long work history and a compelling essay would be good enough to get me into the school of my choice (hopefully even with a scholarship). But what do you all think? Is my low quant score going to doom my application, even though I'm not applying to top-tier schools?

I'd prefer not to retake the GMAT. I'd rather take a business math class at a local college before starting an MBA program if it would help.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Mid-career, low quant score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 13:47
Hi, so you are not in bad shape. If you are looking to improve your quant, I can recommend a course or two that you can explore. A 640 is a solid score! Lucky for you, the GMAT is about more than a score. It is about your story, your extra-curricular experiences, your personality, your goals, ect. A consultant can probably go into greater detail about this. My recommendation? It can't hurt to shoot for a higher GMAT score if you have the time to study. In the end, the worst case scenario is that you get a larger scholarship to your school. Best of luck with your journey!

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Mid-career, low quant score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 02:19
My heart goes out to you but what I'm seeing is that your fear or phobia of math is a dictating your whole future here.

Seems you've chosen the schools you have because of your concern about the GMAT, and now you are trying to find a way to avoid retaking the test.

Many people on this forum have taken this exam five times and invested far more than six weeks in this exam... have you really given yourself a full shot at this?

so I kind of feel like conquer the demon, and reap the rewards. It will open things up a lot and maybe you'll surprise yourself with your ability to do the Quant if you really apply yourself and get good support. I feel like you need to do this because you don't have a lot of statistical courses in your background.

find a better tutor, sign up for a group coaching class explore different strategies.

At the very minimum do MBA Math that is a good way to build up/ prove your numeracy to adcom

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 11:28
wjhallberg wrote:
I'd appreciate some help from someone who has advised mid-career applicants. I haven't seen a lot of mid-career stories, so I'm not sure where I stand. I'm a mid-30s woman and plan to apply to a few full-time one-year programs. Lehigh and Katz specifically have programs that look like good fits. I work in sales for a book publisher. My undergrad is in English and German. I never took an accounting or finance class, but working in sales, I deal with sales reports, P&Ls, and the finance department on a regular basis.

I studied for the GMAT for about 6 weeks. The quant section was always going to be difficult for me, so I did three sessions with a math tutor. I took the test yesterday and got a 640: Q35 (26 percentile) and V42 (96 percentile). I'm disappointed in my low quant score, but it was never much higher than that in my practice tests.

I've been hoping that a mediocre-decent score, combined with my long work history and a compelling essay would be good enough to get me into the school of my choice (hopefully even with a scholarship). But what do you all think? Is my low quant score going to doom my application, even though I'm not applying to top-tier schools?

I'd prefer not to retake the GMAT. I'd rather take a business math class at a local college before starting an MBA program if it would help.

I believe you shall be good to go with this GMAT score to the two programs mentioned by you. Submit a competitive application. Completing the MBA Math is a good idea. Many programs require you to or suggest that you complete this course before joining so it will be a good investment in any case, and it would also prepare for the quantitive classes during MBA.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Katz '21
GMAT 1: 640 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Sales (Journalism and Publishing)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 12:21
Thanks, all, for the input. I talked to my target schools, and they are telling me to go ahead and apply. With my work experience, they think I can overcome the low quant score with a good application--which a few of you mentioned! They said they can advise me if I need to retake the GMAT or take other steps to improve my quant skills. I appreciate the help. I've learned not to be afraid to talk to the admissions folks! They are quite kind!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mid-career, low quant score   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2019, 12:21

Mid-career, low quant score

new topic post reply Update application status