GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My GMAT journey to 750 (Q48 V46)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
My GMAT journey to 750 (Q48 V46)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 12:29
Hi all guys,
It has been a long journey, but I can finally say I have completed my GMAT!
I took it two times: first in January, getting a 700 (45Q, V40) and then one month later in late February with a 750 (Q48, V46)!!
Really happy about that, so I just wanted to share my experience in case it comes out useful to someone in the forum!

I started studying in mid october and at first I gave me a few weeks of familiarization with the exam using the OGs.
Then, I decided to use a prep provider and I ended up being suggested EmpowerGMAT course (really happy of their course btw).
I enrolled in their 3 months course (which included the GMAT official CATs 3 to 6) and started studying daily for the exam.

Thanks to my study and to the EmpowerGMAT course, I had good results in all the CATs I did until January (I did 5, obtaining results from 700/740/710/690/700)
Given the CAT results, when I sat the GMAT the first time, I wanted to get a 710+ so when I saw the 700 it was a bitter feeling, happy on one side but disappointed on the other.

In order to obtain that higher score I was looking for, I followed the advice of Rich (EmpowerGMAT founder and trainer) and realised that, even if I had learned all their techniques, I was still no actually looking for the right shortcuts to apply them in the actual exam. I was unsure but I decided to give it another try.
Therefore, I tried to focus on applying all those techniques I had learned in the EmpowerGMAT course and, after a fast review of the techniques of the course, I just put down some hard work and did all the Quant and Verbal OGs questions having in mind their Quant and Verbal tricks. I did the GMAT CAT 6 and got a stunning 770, that motivated me even more to retake!

This review and probably a more relaxed attitude (knowing I could fall back on a 700), did the trick and I got my 750!!

My takeout is to WORK HARD to achieve your objective and to understand that GMAT is a STANDARDIZED test, so if you can understand its logic (or find someone who can tell you its logic, like EmpowerGMAT trainers did in my case) it is just a matter of practice.

Good luck to you all, feel free to ask anything about my experience.

Gilberto
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: My GMAT journey to 750 (Q48 V46)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 14:05
Hi Gilb17,

That's absolutely OUTSTANDING news! Your original 700 was already a fantastic performance, but your ability to refocus on Tactics - and pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - shows that you're a really strong critical thinker (and these are the exact skills that Business Schools are looking for in their Applicants)! From our prior conversations, I know that you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools - and with this Score, you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you (so you shouldn't hold back when it comes to your applications). We actually have a go-to Admissions Expert who we recommend for these types of Programs - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation if you are interested.

Congrats again on all of your successes so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 00:15
Gilb17 wrote:
Hi all guys,
I took it two times: first in January, getting a 700 (45Q, V40) and then one month later in late February with a 750 (Q48, V46)!!
Really happy about that, so I just wanted to share my experience in case it comes out useful to someone in the forum!

I started studying in mid october and at first I gave me a few weeks of familiarization with the exam using the OGs.
Then, I decided to use a prep provider and I ended up being suggested EmpowerGMAT course (really happy of their course btw).
I enrolled in their 3 months course (which included the GMAT official CATs 3 to 6) and started studying daily for the exam.

Thanks to my study and to the EmpowerGMAT course, I had good results in all the CATs I did until January (I did 5, obtaining results from 700/740/710/690/700)
Given the CAT results, when I sat the GMAT the first time, I wanted to get a 710+ so when I saw the 700 it was a bitter feeling, happy on one side but disappointed on the other.

In order to obtain that higher score I was looking for, I followed the advice of Rich (EmpowerGMAT founder and trainer) and realised that, even if I had learned all their techniques, I was still no actually looking for the right shortcuts to apply them in the actual exam. I was unsure but I decided to give it another try.
Therefore, I tried to focus on applying all those techniques I had learned in the EmpowerGMAT course and, after a fast review of the techniques of the course, I just put down some hard work and did all the Quant and Verbal OGs questions having in mind their Quant and Verbal tricks. I did the GMAT CAT 6 and got a stunning 770, that motivated me even more to retake!

This review and probably a more relaxed attitude (knowing I could fall back on a 700), did the trick and I got my 750!!

My takeout is to WORK HARD to achieve your objective and to understand that GMAT is a STANDARDIZED test, so if you can understand its logic (or find someone who can tell you its logic, like EmpowerGMAT trainers did in my case) it is just a matter of practice.

Gilberto

Great job, you improved on an already great score.

GMAT:710 (Q49,V38,IR8,AWA5)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 01:04
Wow what a score !!! Kudos..Its been very encouraging for aspirants like us.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 21:23
Congratulations and amazing verbal score!
What area of verbal were you having a challenge with and able to improve the most? V46 is pretty darn amazing! I got a V42 and that took a lot of work.

BB.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 09:33
Gilb17 congrats__

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Director
Director
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 10:04
Gilb17 wrote:
Hi all guys,

Gilberto

Congratulations on a wonderful score. Thanks for a nice debrief.

All the best for your admissions!!
_

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 10:31
bb wrote:
Congratulations and amazing verbal score!
What area of verbal were you having a challenge with and able to improve the most? V46 is pretty darn amazing! I got a V42 and that took a lot of work.

BB.

I think the area where I was able to most improve was the CR part of Verbal. Trying to 1) predict a possible answer and 2) dissect the answers to check wheter they were on point or not, wa key to improve my performance on Critical Reasoning part. Also, for the Reading Comprehension, I think that taking some time to briefly summarize each paragraph greatly helped me in understanding the focus of the passages and getting right all the "purpose" questions that I had some trouble with at the start!

PS. thanks all for the congratulations and good luck you too!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My GMAT journey to 750 (Q48 V46)   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2019, 10:31

My GMAT journey to 750 (Q48 V46)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics