Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manapacheco wrote:
I understand that the idiom "so.. that so" is wrong. But answer B does not have that idiom. It just says "so gradual they can be indistinguishable". Does not have a double "so". Why is it wrong then?
Because the sentence starts with often, we don't really need a can there. For example:

1. Often, voters are asked to... ← This happens often, but probably not always.
vs.
2. Often, voters can be asked to... ← Pretty much the same thing, but with an additional layer of that "sometimes" meaning (because of can).

It is the word often that really makes a difference here. If we were instead looking at all possible events, then a can could help.

3. Voters are asked to... ← "everyone"
vs.
4. Voters can be asked to... ← "some, but probably not all"

Also, the GMAT seems to like having a that in so that constructions.

Therefore, we'd say that option A is better than option B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manapacheco wrote:
I understand that the idiom "so.. that so" is wrong. But answer B does not have that idiom. It just says "so gradual they can be indistinguishable". Does not have a double "so". Why is it wrong then?

As AjiteshArun suggested, (B) seems to be missing a "that". Consider the following examples:

• "The earthquake was so strong that it was felt 500 miles away from the epicenter." - Correct.
  • "The earthquake was so strong; it was felt 500 miles away from the epicenter." - This could also work, but it changes the meaning very slightly. In the previous example, the second part of the sentence qualifies the first part: how strong was the earthquake? SO strong THAT it was felt... In this example, the two parts of the sentence are seemingly independent -- this version does not explicitly tell us that the earthquake was felt 500 miles away BECAUSE the earthquake was so strong.
  • "The earthquake was so strong it was felt 500 miles away from the epicenter." - Incorrect. If the second part qualifies the first part, then we need to use "so strong that" (as in the first example). If we want each part to be independent, we have to separate the two parts (i.e. with a semicolon, a period, or a comma+conjunction). By itself, "so strong" doesn't work.

(B) is wrong for the same reason: it makes far less sense without a "that".

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja!!,
Thank you for clearing out doubts, you are awesome!.
In the above question I had chosen C as the answer, and to be honest nobody has done a good POE for it, all I hear is it's "wordy" or "how can shifts be unable to distinguish", according to me the later line of thinking would have been incorrect if it said something like" unable to be distinguishable".

I'll be glad if you could shed some light on why the option is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
GMATNinja - Could you please help me get clarity on this question?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
deveshj21 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja!!,
Thank you for clearing out doubts, you are awesome!.
In the above question I had chosen C as the answer, and to be honest nobody has done a good POE for it, all I hear is it's "wordy" or "how can shifts be unable to distinguish", according to me the later line of thinking would have been incorrect if it said something like" unable to be distinguishable".

I'll be glad if you could shed some light on why the option is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device

T'hank you for the kind words, deveshj21!

Generally speaking, whenever we see the construction, "[SUBJECT] is unable to [VERB]," it means that the subject is attempting, unsuccessfully, to perform some action. For example, "Tim is unable to decide which of his children to feed tonight." Here, Tim, who probably should not have had children in the first place, is trying to decide which child to feed, and he can't do it. He's failed to perform a desired action.

Now consider option (C) in this light: "Often major economic shifts are so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished.." Now it sounds as though the economic shifts are trying to be distinguished, but they've failed because they're just too darn gradual. This doesn't make sense: economic shifts aren't active agents that attempt to do things. So (C) isn't incorrect because it's wordy; it's incorrect because the meaning is illogical.

NL15 wrote:
GMATNinja - Could you please help me get clarity on this question?

Let us know if you have a specific question that isn't addressed above?
Hi,
I have a doubt regarding meaning in option A:
so gradual as to be indistinguishable vs so gradual as to be distinguishable.
Doesn't the sentence says that shifts are so gradual that they cant be distinguished from ordinary fluctuations. So why we cant use so gradual as to be distinguishable?
Thanks in advance!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harman95 wrote:
Hi,
I have a doubt regarding meaning in option A:
so gradual as to be indistinguishable vs so gradual as to be distinguishable.
Doesn't the sentence says that shifts are so gradual that they cant be distinguished from ordinary fluctuations. So why we cant use so gradual as to be distinguishable?
Thanks in advance!!
Hi Harman95,

so gradual as to be indistinguishable
is similar to
~so gradual that they cannot be distinguished

and

so gradual as to be distinguishable
is similar to
~so gradual that they can be distinguished

The intended meaning is that major economic shifts happen so slowly that they cannot be distinguished from ordinary fluctuations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

When solving the question I realized that "indistinguishable" raises a question of possession.
Indistinguishable to whom?

The only answer that was suitable to answer the question was E. Although it was disqualified by many here.

Can someone please clarify the priority of the issue I raised in regards of choosing the best answer?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
erezla wrote:
Hi,

When solving the question I realized that "indistinguishable" raises a question of possession.
Indistinguishable to whom?

The only answer that was suitable to answer the question was E. Although it was disqualified by many here.

Can someone please clarify the priority of the issue I raised in regards of choosing the best answer?

Thanks!
Hi erezla,

We must try not to take that call. Indistinguishable is commonly used without specifying a "who", and there is nothing wrong with doing this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
GMATNinja generis AjiteshArun

Can someone please tell the meaning when 'so as to' is used in (A). Everyone has commented on the idiom usage and that (A) is correct because the idiom is correct. My question is regarding the meaning.

Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the financial markets.

Does 'as to be' mean 'that they are' ? Doesn't 'as to be' give an 'intention' or sort of feeling that the economic shifts are he doer of this gradual shifts so as to indistinguishable ?

Will appreciate expert opinion on this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM