Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 17:11 It is currently 05 May 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51479 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51479 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6261 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM Calling all 2018 intake applicants - Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Whoa!! it's eerie quiet here. Any updates guys. It just 1 and half months to go before the deadline for R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
souvik101990, can you please share your application experience from last year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey everyone - checking in here. Will
be applying through the Consortium during the traditional round (early January). Lots of work ahead for all of us!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Send PM
I am a reapplicant, and received an interview R2 last year. I still think my essay needs a bit more work, and have couple of questions:

In my previous year's essay, I've mentioned my commitment and why an MBA is a great step for me; however, I didnt go into lengths about why I chose Yale MBA. Further, I didn't specify short-term and long-term goals since this is covered in the dataset. So how important is it to mention why I am applying to Yale in particular? How important is it to mention short term and long term goals?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
swolecdn wrote:
I am a reapplicant, and received an interview R2 last year. I still think my essay needs a bit more work, and have couple of questions:

In my previous year's essay, I've mentioned my commitment and why an MBA is a great step for me; however, I didnt go into lengths about why I chose Yale MBA. Further, I didn't specify short-term and long-term goals since this is covered in the dataset. So how important is it to mention why I am applying to Yale in particular? How important is it to mention short term and long term goals?

If it isn't covered elsewhere in the application I think it is really very important to explain somewhere why Yale. If your short term and long term goals are covered by a short answer question I don't think it is important to reiterate it in your essay unless you are a career switcher or your background doesn't necessarily line up with your goals. If you are a career switcher and the long term and short term goals don't fit well into your essay, I would use the optional to explain how you plan to achieve those goals.

I think you should take what you said about why and MBA is a good fit and change it to say why a Yale MBA is a good fit. So everywhere you have put MBA in your essay it should say YALE MBA and you should add Yale specific things that interest you and also how you will contribute to Yale....

....That said though...if you got an interview your essays should be in pretty good shape already so I am not sure that editing them alone will be what tips the scale so make sure for your interview that you have the why Yale specifically integrated into your answers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Will be applying Rd2 through the Consortium. Had the opportunity to visit SOM this past May and the campus was amazing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
FuturePM91 wrote:
swolecdn wrote:

If it isn't covered elsewhere in the application I think it is really very important to explain somewhere why Yale. If your short term and long term goals are covered by a short answer question I don't think it is important to reiterate it in your essay unless you are a career switcher or your background doesn't necessarily line up with your goals. If you are a career switcher and the long term and short term goals don't fit well into your essay, I would use the optional to explain how you plan to achieve those goals.

I think you should take what you said about why and MBA is a good fit and change it to say why a Yale MBA is a good fit. So everywhere you have put MBA in your essay it should say YALE MBA and you should add Yale specific things that interest you and also how you will contribute to Yale....

....That said though...if you got an interview your essays should be in pretty good shape already so I am not sure that editing them alone will be what tips the scale so make sure for your interview that you have the why Yale specifically integrated into your answers.

Hey swolecdn, I largely agree with what FuturePM91 said but want to add that if it doesnt make sense to add "why yale" in your main essay then by all means don't shoehorn it in there. To give you an additional data point, my main essay did not talk about "why yale" at all. In fact, my main essay was very focused and talked my particular commitment and how I grew from it, with no mention whatsoever about post mba goals or why mba etc. However, I did have the chance to address those questions in my goals short answer as well as my video interview/in person interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Send PM
Thank you both for replying! My original essay did not include why Yale MBA at all, and I did a bad job stating it during my interviews earlier this year - which I bet that contributed a lot to my non-offer.

I've cleaned up my essay a little bit and will be integrating a little bit into the question of "why Yale", but not too in-depth as I have done for other schools (i.e. Tuck).

Thanks again!

Porkbun123 wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
swolecdn wrote:

Hey swolecdn, I largely agree with what FuturePM91 said but want to add that if it doesnt make sense to add "why yale" in your main essay then by all means don't shoehorn it in there. To give you an additional data point, my main essay did not talk about "why yale" at all. In fact, my main essay was very focused and talked my particular commitment and how I grew from it, with no mention whatsoever about post mba goals or why mba etc. However, I did have the chance to address those questions in my goals short answer as well as my video interview/in person interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM