Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Geometryx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [427]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [117]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29938 [18]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
iamschnaider wrote:
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

A student asked me to explain why statement 2 is sufficient. So,......

Target question: What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

Statement 2: The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.
We know that the tank is 6 ft long
Let x = the width of the surface
We have the following:

Area of rectangle = (base)(height)
So, we can write: 24 = (6)(x)
Solve get: x = 4
So, the diagram looks like this:

IMPORTANT: For geometry Data Sufficiency questions, we’re typically checking to see whether the statements "lock" a particular angle, length, or shape into having just one possible measurement. This concept is discussed in much greater detail in the following video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat ... /video/884

So we want to determine whether there is exactly one tank size such that when the gasoline is 2 feet deep, the surface of the gasoline is 4 feet wide.

So let's start with some random tank like this...

... and fill it with gasoline to a depth of 2 feet

When we measure the width of the surface, we get 3 feet

So, this particular tank is too small.

Let's try slightly bigger tank. Here's one.

Still too small.

As we can see, if we gradually make the tank bigger and bigger and bigger, there will be EXACTLY ONE tank such that the width of the surface is 4 feet.

Since there is EXACTLY ONE tank that meets the given conditions, we know that statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: D

ASIDE: Some people might be wondering, "Sure, but what is the actual volume of the gasoline in the tank?"
Fortunately, we don't need to find the actual volume. We need to only demonstrate that we COULD find the volume.
One way to do this would be to use geometric properties and formulas. But we can also find the volume in other ways.
For example, if I had very precise measuring equipment and a way to construct cylindrical tanks of any shape, then I COULD keep testing actual tanks until I find one that meets the given conditions. Then, I'd fill that tank with gasoline to a depth of 2 feet. Then I'd pour that gasoline into a very precise measuring cup. Done!!

Cheers,
Brent
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [7]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
iamschnaider wrote:
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

From OG 2016 (question 86 DS)

I get why 1 works, but the main qualm I have about 2 is how we can be sure that the 4 feet resulting from the square is a diameter of the circle ie. how we know that it fills the tank exactly up to halfway.

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine the volume of gasoline in the tank, given that the tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long, and the tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet.

Notice that when the tank is resting vertically with the circular base on the ground (like an upright soda can), the height of the tank is 6 feet.

Statement One Alone:

Since the diameter of the tank is 4 feet, which is exactly twice the depth of 2 feet currently of the gasoline filled inside the tank, we see that the tank is actually half full. Since the diameter of the tank is 4 feet, its radius is 2 feet. Since in the question stem analysis, we determined the height of the tank is 6 feet, we can determine the full capacity of the tank. Since the gasoline is filled to half capacity, dividing the full capacity of the tank by 2 will yield the volume of the gasoline in the tank. Statement one alone is sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

We see that the rectangle (i.e, the top surface of the gasoline) has a width of 4 feet since the area is 24 square feet and its length is 6 feet. The width of the rectangle is actually a chord of the circular base of the tank. Let the distance between the center of the circle and this chord be x. Recall that we are told that the depth of the gasoline is 2 feet, therefore, the radius of the circular base is x + 2 if the center is above the gasoline level and 2 - x if the center is below the gasoline level. In the former case, a right triangle is formed where the legs have length 2 and x, and where the hypotenuse (which is the radius) has length x + 2. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we obtain:

(x + 2)^2 = x^2 + 2^2

x^2 + 4x + 4 = x^2 + 4

4x = 4

x = 0

In this case, we see that the distance between the center and the gasoline level is 0, which means that the tank is actually half full and the diameter of the circular ends is 4.

Assuming the level of the gasoline is above the center, we can proceed as above and solve (2 - x)^2 = x^2 + 2^2, which also yields x = 0. Once again, the tank is half full and the diameter is 4.

We see that in either case, we have enough information to determine the volume of gasoline in the tank.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iamschnaider wrote:

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31947 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
iamschnaider wrote:

1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

I get why 1 works, but the main qualm I have about 2 is how we can be sure that the 4 feet resulting from the square is a diameter of the circle ie. how we know that it fills the tank exactly up to halfway.

Hi,
i agree with you however we still can find the answer ..
we can find the chord/diameter of the circular end as 4..
now we have depth as 2, length as 6 and width as 4 but the volume will vary depending on what the dia would be..
there could be two scenarios..
1) where the center is below the chord... that is greater than 2\(\sqrt{3}\)..
eq becomes \(2^2+(2\sqrt{3}+r)^2=r^2\)
r comes out negative so not possible.
2) where the center is above the chord... that is greater than 2\(\sqrt{3}\).. r can be found so suff..
eq becomes \(2^2+(2\sqrt{3}-r)^2=r^2\)

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [3]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
iamschnaider wrote:

Could someone draw this for Statement 2? I don't get it... :(
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31947 [14]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
reto wrote:
iamschnaider wrote:

Could someone draw this for Statement 2? I don't get it... :(

Hi reto
here it is
Attachments

New Microsoft Office Word Document (4).docx [11.53 KiB]
Downloaded 2830 times

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [29]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank [#permalink]
Kudos