GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 03:25
Hi Greg and team,

Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size, heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus. Target schools:

* Tuck - first choice. I've liked everything about them so far, from program to class size to job placements. Gives me the opportunity to initiate an interview and address my low GPA
* Kellogg/Haas - similar to Tuck. Worried about the low acceptance rate for Haas
* Darden, Ross, Fuqua - thought that these schools will provide me with the experience that I want. I have no concerns about that I will not able to achieve my immediate career goals through them. These schools though slightly lower on the rankings. I have to admit.. the arbitrary rankings still matter to me..
* Booth - recently added to the list. Am of the opinion that they are more forgiving on lower GPA.

Hoping for the following advice:

* What is your take on my school selection? Are there any schools that I should be looking at? Am I realistic with my selection?
* I am considering traveling to the US for the in-person interviews. Will this add any value to my application? This is primarily for my top 2 choices - Tuck and Kellogg (considering the schools are relatively nearby and both grant interviews to all applicants). I plan to visit any schools before joining any programs (assuming I get accepted!). Hence, cost and logistics are not concerns for me.
* Are there any areas in my profile that I can work on prior to my applications?
* Is there a need to address my low GPA in the additional essay?

Thanks much for your kind help!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 06:35
Hi ratesman,

Thank you for your post and for sharing all of this detail. It seems that you have also signed up for a Free Consultation, so rather than crafting a lengthy reply here, why don't we address all of your questions during our call? That would be a more efficient use of time and would allow for a more nuanced, back-and-forth conversation, plus follow-up questions. We can make sure we cover all of the topics that are on your mind. I look forward to speaking with you!

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2019, 06:35

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep