GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:31) correct 27% (01:30) wrong based on 211 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were provided by the United States to assist by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys.

(A) Responding to the worsening famine, relief was provided by the United States by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, and bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(B) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States provided relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, and bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(C) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States provided relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(D) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States decided to provide relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys.

(E) Responding to the worsening famine, relief provided by the United States to airlift food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys
Retired Moderator
Re: Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:28
daagh wrote:
Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were provided by the United States to assist by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys.

(A)Responding to the worsening famine, relief was provided by the United States by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, and bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(B) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States provided relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, and bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(C) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States provided relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(D) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States decided to provide relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out
convoys.

(E)Responding to the worsening famine, relief provided by the United States to airlift food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

Ans is clearly C. As only C is parallel and we need "the united states" after the COMMA for correct the modifier error.

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:48
Quote:

(A)Responding to the worsening famine, relief was provided by the United States by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, and bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys

(D) Responding to the worsening famine, the United States decided to provide relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out
convoys.

(E)Responding to the worsening famine, relief provided by the United States to airlift food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out convoys
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Yes, C it is
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:01
C... i think easy one with multiplier

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 16:21
Lets look at the structure

Modifier , Clause, modifier

A and E - modifier is modifying relief rather than the united states so you are left with B, C and D

B- modifier , clause , and verb-ing blah blah - and is used to create subordinate clause or it should be part of list X and Y - neither is the case - rejected

Between C and D - the only difference is 'thus' and 'decided to provide' - So, brevity issue . obviously C is succinct

and here is your winner - C

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2010, 03:33
I am not so clear why is D so wrong? Doesn't thus imply that it was the result of what US did?

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 18:04
piyushagarwal wrote:
I am not so clear why is D so wrong? Doesn't thus imply that it was the result of what US did?

Option D - "Responding to the worsening famine, the United States decided to provide relief by airlifting food from nearby Kenya to remote airfields in the interior of Somalia for distribution, thus bypassing congested ports and reducing the need to send out
convoys."

Here it has been mentioned as "US Decided to provide" which change the intended meaning. The intended meaning is "US provided the relief efforts and its over". Option "D" completely change the intended meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 18:23
daagh wrote:

convoys.

Can some one tells the meaning of the below sentences?

1. Relief was provided by the united states by airlifting food from Kenya to remote places.
2. United states provided relief by airlifting food from Kenya to remote places.
3. Relief was provided by united states to airlift food from Kenya to remote places.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 23:10
piyushagarwal wrote:

Hi,
'bypassing ....' is an absolute phrase since it doesn't have a subject.

Using thus makes is a subordinate clause, which can't exist without a subject. Debates about meaning are subjective, but this is the definite reason why D is wrong.

Kudos if I helped ;)

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 09:00
I do not think, per se, sentence 1 and 2 mean any different except for the change of voice. However, three is different. Instead of giving relief by means of airlifting, it says that the very purpose of the relief was to airlift. This is not the intended meaning.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 20:55
I aggree c is best.
logically "comma+doing" can mofify a preceding doing
but this case never appear in og books.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 08:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 08:32

Responding to the worsening famine, relief efforts were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap