GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 06:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:47) correct 50% (07:02) wrong based on 391 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 2: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama, joined the Communist party in 1931.

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed
(E) Because it seemed to be

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 07:59
generis aragonn GMATNinja egmat VeritasKarishma

Can you validate my approach and PoE?

Quote:
Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama, joined the Communist party in 1931.

This sentence presents a few facts about a person: Hosea Hudson
He was a laborer in Alabama and joined the Communist party in 1931.
He fought for the rights of poor people in the South as an organization would do.

Quote:
(A) Seeming to be

Discarded since found very wordy.

Quote:
(B) As

Correct usage of as while performing function of a role.
E.g. As a professor of mathematics, Mr. Roy was very witty.
AS can be used as a role to depict something else and can refer to noun.
In all other circumstances, as is followed by clause and not noun while comparing.

Quote:
(C) In that they seemed

Incorrect pronoun = they. We need singular pronoun it to refer to: Hosea Hudson

Quote:
(D) Since it seemed

Since and because are causal words and I do not see any causal relationship here. Discarded.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 08:08
adkikani - When you are saying B, what actions you are comparing ?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 08:41
aragonn

Quote:
When you are saying B, what actions you are comparing?

One of the usage of As is to present role/ function.
I mentioned earlier that as is used as a role (see below example)
As an elder sister, Ramya takes care of her siblings very well.

actions - usually verbs
role/function - usually nouns.

When used to denote as for presenting a role/function, it can only be followed by noun (organization in OG Q).
Let me know if my understanding is correct.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 08:49
adkikani wrote:
aragonn

Quote:
When you are saying B, what actions you are comparing?

One of the usage of As is to present role/ function.
I mentioned earlier that as is used as a role (see below example)
As an elder sister, Ramya takes care of her siblings very well.

actions - usually verbs
role/function - usually nouns.

When used to denote as for presenting a role/function, it can only be followed by noun (organization in OG Q).
Let me know if my understanding is correct.

adkikani , I think aragonn 's suggestion to examine which "actions" you were comparing
is a hint that is not confined only to the literal sense of "action."

Think about the action or receipt of action that involves clauses, phrases, and nouns in the sentence.

adkikani - P.S. , yes, you are correct that AS in this question refers to a role or function. :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 08:53
IMO E

The opening modifier "seeming to be the" should modify an organization but in the original sentence, it illogically modifies a person Hosea Hudson

(A) Seeming to be .. Wrong for stated reason
(B) As. Same mistake repeated as in A. As the only organization illogically refers to Hosea Hudson.
(C) In that they seemed . They can't have a clear antecedent because we have 2 nouns Hosea Hudson and The communist party both can't take plural pronoun.
(D) Since it seemed . Instead of since because is better to indicate the reason for joining Communist party
(E) Because it seemed to be Because clearly gives the reason why Hosea Hudson joined the communist party. It refers to the communist party

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 09:27
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

i would exclude A, B, AND C straight away

A - because you cant use -ing with state verbs

B - because it lack a verb (fragment)

C - is total political disaster/ debates :lol:

okay, now between D and E i would pick ...hmmm

seem to be VS seem, seem to be is preferred when we mean something that appears to be definitely true (objective facts). On the other hand seem without to be is preferred when it's based on personal feeling / opinion (subjective impression).

Now I ask myself a question is it ojective or subjective :lol: :roll: Well Dave, i think you it is objective fact and hence we shall go for E :lol:
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 09:49
Top Contributor

(A) Seeming to --- seeming to be the only organization modifier a human, Hosea ---wrong.
(B) As --- 'As the only organization', modifies a human - wrong. You cannot take 'as'' to be a role-play as it will distort the meaning that the organization was Hosea.
(C) In that they seemed --- they seemed the only organization-- 'they' is the wrong pronoun for the singular organization.
(D) Since it seemed -- Use of 'since' as a synonym of 'because' a subordinate conjunction is wrong. We can use it only as a preposition in GMAT
(E) Because it seemed to be-- The given sentence structure is a complex sentence. The singular pronoun 'it' in the dependent clause refers to the communist party.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 10:34

(A) Seeming to be
This seems to be modifying HH-- Incorrect

(B) As
Same problem as B, modifying HH--Incorrect

(C) In that they seemed
They for an organization/party is incorrect

(D) Since it seemed
Not very clear on this but I prefer "seemed to be" --Incorrect

Correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 18:52
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

aragonn thank you for the question

meaning : the communist party seemed to be the only organisation fighting for something. SO HH joined the organisation.

Erros : the original modifier should modify the "communist party" , as Hosea cannot be an organisation
eliminate A B

(C) In that they seemed - "they" has no antecedent.

(D) Since it seemed - when you are not sure about the idiom "seem to be VS seems X " ...substitute the pronoun before it and then read
"since communist party seemed the only organisation" ... the communist party did not by itself seem anything . The party resembles something , that it is the only party doing something" ... as we are judging from the point of view of Hosea , so something will (for her) seem to be something.

(E) Because it seemed to be- CORRECT
" Hosea joined communist party ,because it(party) seemed to be the only party....."
CR Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 19:24

(A) Seeming to be -- Modifier error. This option suggests that Hosea Hudson is an Organization which is wrong.
(B) As -- Same Modifier error as in option A
(C) In that they seemed -- pronoun error.what is they referring to?
(D) Since it seemed -- connecting verb is missing
(E) Because it seemed to be -- correct choice

IMO E is the answer.

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 21:18
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

adkikani & generis

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/11/18/archives/the-onliest-ones-hudson.html

Hosea Hudson, a black laborer in Birmingham, Ala., joined the party in 1931, because it seemed to be the only organization fighting for the rights of black people in the South.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 07:19
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

Let's apply reversal construction
than A,B and C can be easily rejected Cause and effect
Left with D and E
E is better construction.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 10:56
Between D and E, D can be rejected also because Since is used with actions e.g. Since 1965 and Because is used to reason.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Nov 2018, 00:01
Top Contributor
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/1979/11/18/archives/the-onliest-ones-hudson.html

Hosea Hudson, a black laborer in Birmingham, Ala., joined the party in 1931, because it seemed to be the only organization fighting for the rights of black people in the South.

For those who think that the writings in celebrity media such as 'NY times" are linguistic god spells, here is an eye-opener. The cited sentence still cannot stand up to the rigors of GMAT Sentence correction primarily because of the basic goof up that the pronoun 'it' has no antecedent.

Secondly, the party', a multi-dimensional expression, can even mean a celebration such a birthday party or a bachelors' party, or a political party such as the Labor party or the Republicans. We even say that the President's party with fancying ended when he lost the elections.

In additions, puritan grammarians will frown at the comma after 1931, used to separate the main class from the subordinate clause in the given context.

Perhaps a small insertion such as 'joined 'the Communist Party' in 1931' would have gone miles in effective communication.

We must really thank hazelnut for giving us the opportunity to learn the stark realities.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 09 Nov 2018, 21:09.
Last edited by daagh on 10 Nov 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 22:16
I discarded the choices based on the modifier issue.

IMO E.

Quote:

Quote:
(A) Seeming to be

Seeming to be the only organization-----,Hosea Hudson
Hosea Hudson is not the organization. Incorrect.

Quote:
(B) As

As the only organization fighting---,Hosea Hudson
Same error as A. Incorrect

Quote:
(C) In that they seemed

They is plural and is not in S-V agreement to "Communist Party"(which is Singular) .Inocrrect

Quote:
(D) Since it seemed

Now in between option D and E, E sounded good to me because "seem to be" is generally preferred to "seemed".

Also after applying both the options and after reading the sentence in full I found E to be appealing.

Hence E. However, I am looking forward to a great explanation to discard D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 08:08
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

Official Explanation:

Choices A and B wrongly identify Hosea Hudson, not the Communist party, as the organization under discussion. In choice C, the plural pronoun they does not agree in number with the singular nourr party. In that in C and Since inD are less direct and idiomatic than Because in this context, and to be is needed to complete the predicate begun by seemed.
E is the best answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 00:59
aragonn wrote:
aragonn wrote:

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

Official Explanation:

Choices A and B wrongly identify Hosea Hudson, not the Communist party, as the organization under discussion. In choice C, the plural pronoun they does not agree in number with the singular nourr party. In that in C and Since inD are less direct and idiomatic than Because in this context, and to be is needed to complete the predicate begun by seemed.
E is the best answer.

Is the usage of Since as a subordinating conjunction is incorrect on the GMAT? I was in fix between options D and E and ended up choosing the incorrect one.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 03:10
Skywalker18 wrote:
Is the usage of Since as a subordinating conjunction is incorrect on the GMAT? I was in fix between options D and E and ended up choosing the incorrect one.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten
I'd expect to see a because in the correct option more often than a since, but it would be too much to say that since can't be used as a conjunction at all. Both the time and reason meanings are well-established, and we'd lose the reason meaning entirely if we stopped using since as a conjunction.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 21:09

Reduce the sentence as much as you can and read it. Striked part doesn't make a much difference in the meaning of the sentence. Now read the sentence as:

Seeming to be the only organization, Hudson, joined the Communist party.

The meaning of the sentence is according to Hudson the organization seemed to be the only one fighting for the rights of poor people in the south. So he joined the communist party.

(A) Seeming to be -- this makes the sentence convey the meaning that the organization is still seeming to be the only one for Hudson. He already joined the party because it seemed like the only one fighting for the rights of poor people. So "seeming to be" changes the meaning of the sentence. ELIMINATED

(B) As -- this is used to compare actions. Here there are no actions to be compared. So this straight away ELIMINATED

(C) In that they seemed -- "In that" this is used as an addition to another clause which is already mentioned. Here the sentence is starting with "In that" which cannot be the appropriate one. So ELIMINATED

(D) Since it seemed -- This is little interesting one. Now we've eliminated 3 choices and we've only 2 left. Out of D & E, D conveys a meaning that the organization is the only one which is fighting for the rights of the poor in the South. But this is not the intended meaning. Hudson joined the party as it seemed to be the only one fighting for the poor, according to him. Here the catch is when the organization seemed to be (____), Hudson joined. This doesn't guarantee that actually, the organization is. As this statement is making the organization actually to be the only one (__), so ELIMINATED

(E) Because it seemed to be -- this should be the correct one. This preserves the meaning that the organization seemed to be the only one (__) for Hudson, so he joined.CORRECT

Chaitanya

+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor &nbs [#permalink] 20 Nov 2018, 21:09

Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap