GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jun 2018, 18:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:28) correct 54% (01:34) wrong based on 765 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country.

(A) and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

(B) helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

(C) helped the stock market reach record highs, and has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

(D) and helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

(E) and helped the stock market reach record highs, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/business/economy/government-spending-cuts-contribute-to-slower-growth.html

As long as the unemployment rate remains above 6.5 percent, the Federal Reserve has vowed to keep buying tens of billions of dollars worth of bonds each month to help stimulate growth. That has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into the kind of job gains the Fed wants to see.

Originally posted by ishanand on 18 Jul 2013, 11:32.
Last edited by hazelnut on 13 Jun 2018, 18:09, edited 5 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Re: The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 01:28
The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country.

a. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but [auxiliary verb] yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
Wrong. Need auxiliary verb. If we say "but yet", we cannot determine the tense.

b. helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
Wrong. Need "and" before "help the stock market". The correct syntax is "X and Y, but Z" in which X and Y are parallel.

c. helped the stock market reach record highs, and has not translated into consistent job growth across the country
Wrong. Same as B. We need "and".

d. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
Correct.
- The usage of "and" is correct.
- "has yet to translate" is correct grammar (even though it is used quite rarely). This syntax has negative meaning.
- "It" clearly refers to "the Fed program"

e. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country
Wrong. E has pronoun problem.
E says: The Fed program has buoyed X, and helped Y reach record highs, but has not translated into Z..... What has not been translated? The Fed Program or Y (the stock market). E may convey a different meaning: the Fed Program helped the stock market reach record highs, but has not translated the stock market into consistent job growth.... Thus, the meaning is quite ambiguous. We need "it" to refer "the Fed program".

Hope it helps.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge
Re: The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 20:33
I think answer should be E because D has subject verb error. It has Yet to translater is not verb.
Can somebody please explain..
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 21:13

let's check answer one by one:

a. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
b. helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
c. helped the stock market reach record highs, and has not translated into consistent job growth across the country
d. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country
e. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country

going through sentence structure it's obvious we need 'and'..hence we have a/d/e..the mistake often we do is we tend to miss subject after BUT. the subject after verb is mandatory while we look for independent clause after BUT. hence the only option we are left with 'D'..my take is D..
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 21:26
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
I think answer should be E because D has subject verb error. It has Yet to translater is not verb.

I am not sure about the verb error but i removed E on parallelism :

(D) Subj has x and y, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country ---- correct

(E) Subj has x and y, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country ---- not parallel also it changes the intended meaning of the sentence by saying it has not translated when the sentence means to say that the translation will happen in the future but has not yet happened.

Do correct me if i am wrong.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 01:34
lyon1411 wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

(D) Subj has x and y, but it has yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country ---- correct

(E) Subj has x and y, but has not translated into consistent job growth across the country ---- not parallel also it changes the intended meaning of the sentence by saying it has not translated when the sentence means to say that the translation will happen in the future but has not yet happened.

Hi lyon1411

I believe the structure "has yet to translate" and "has not translated" have the same meaning. The problem with E is pronoun problem.

E say: the Fed program has buoyed X, and helped Y reach record highs, but has not translated into Z.
what has not been translated? E may convey the meaning: The Fed program helped Y reach record highs, but has not translated Y into Z. The intended meaning is the Fed program itself has not translated to the job growth yet.

However, in D, "it" refers clearly to "the Fed Program". The meaning is more clear than that of E.

Hope it helps.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 20:21
KALLOLBHAUMIK wrote:

a. and helped the stock market reach record highs, but yet to translate into consistent job growth across the country

going through sentence structure it's obvious we need 'and'..hence we have a/d/e..the mistake often we do is we tend to miss subject after BUT. the subject after verb is mandatory while we look for independent clause after BUT. hence the only option we are left with 'D'..my take is D..

can you explain more of this use of "but". pls, give me more examples . thank you
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 05:30
thangvietnam wrote:
KALLOLBHAUMIK wrote:

can you explain more of this use of "but". pls, give me more examples . thank you

The usage of "but" indicates a contrast. The Fed's bond buyback program has done x and y, but it has not done z.

We do not say "has done x, y, and not z."

As mentioned prior, the pronoun "it" is required because it is not clear what has "translated into consistent job growth across the country". Is it the Fed itself or the buyback?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 08:01
Doesn't C suffer pronoun reference error. It can refer to stock market as well. Can you please help me understand, why it can only refer to Fed Prog.

As a rule, a pronoun refers to a noun and it does not have to be a subject for the pronoun to refer.

Need help...
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 11:41
BrajeshB wrote:
Doesn't C suffer pronoun reference error. It can refer to stock market as well. Can you please help me understand, why it can only refer to Fed Prog.

As a rule, a pronoun refers to a noun and it does not have to be a subject for the pronoun to refer.

Need help...

If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent.

The pronoun "it" is the subject of the second clause, and "program" is the subject of the first clause. Hence "it" refers to "program" unambiguously. Such usage is accepted in GMAT.
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 11:46
The comma before "and" is wrong because two verbs, has buoyed and (has) helped, - not two clauses - are joined.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 03:12
lyon1411 wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

What is worng with A then

Sub has x and y, but yet to translate
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 06:34
neha1993 wrote:
lyon1411 wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

What is worng with A then

Sub has x and y, but yet to translate

A verb is required after "but" in order to maintain parallelism.

The program (subject) has buoyed (verb 1) and helped (verb 2) , but yet to translate (infinitive).
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 18:22
... but is yet to translate ...

or

... but has yet to translate ... ?

Isn't the first one correct? "has yet" sounds awkward. Can someone help me understand how "has yet" construction is correct?
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 07:00
manhasnoname wrote:
... but is yet to translate ...

or

... but has yet to translate ... ?

Isn't the first one correct? "has yet" sounds awkward. Can someone help me understand how "has yet" construction is correct?

Both are alright:

X has to do something.
X is to do something.

Both are grammatically correct.
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 19:54
ishanand wrote:

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Difficulty Level: 650-700

Solution: D

Explanation: All of the incorrect answer choices in this problem violate parallelism by creating bungled series. In (A) and (E) you cannot say: the reserve has buoyed, and helped, but yet to translate or but has not translated. Because of the “and” after the first part, a new clause must be created to follow “but”. In (B) the series is “the program has buoyed, helped,…but it has” – this is incorrect as you cannot have the it in the last clause. In (C) the “and” at the end creates illogical meaning, as the last part contrasts what you learn in the first part of the series. Only (D) has proper sentence construction and conveys a logical meaning: the program has buoyed Wall Street, and helped the stock market, but it has yet to translate….” The comma before between “Wall Street” and “and” may seem unusual, but it is there to show that what follows is extra information relating to the first clause: the buyback has buoyed Wall Street, and (as a result) helped the stock market reach record highs, but it has yet to do this.

Answer is (D)

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 17:32
sayantanc2k wrote:
The comma before "and" is wrong because two verbs, has buoyed and (has) helped, - not two clauses - are joined.

Ok, I'm freaking out here. I also thought that a comma before "and", in this case, is incorrect.

As far as I know, I can only have a comma before "and" when listing more than one thing, for instance:

John bought apples, bananas and melons, and then went home.

Can you please explain to me why comma followed by "and" is acceptable in this case?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 17:32

The Federal Reserve bond buyback program has buoyed Wall Street

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics