Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Therapists find that treatment of those people who seek help because [#permalink]
According to me, option A should be the right choice.

D and E do not resolve the paradox. They don't explain why millions of people... example is given and still the first part of the argument that success in therapies is rate, still holds true.

Thus, IMO A.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Therapists find that treatment of those people who seek help because [#permalink]
IMO ans should be E.

If people were able to cure themselves then there were no reason for them to consult a therapist.

But survey included such people also who have successfully cured them while therapist have the bunch of people who are reluctant or unable to leave there habits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Mays '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Therapists find that treatment of those people who seek help because [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose E:
The point is the people who do not succeed in giving up smoking are those who seek for helps, in this case the helps are the therapies.
Choice E will explain best why the therapist see non succeeded patients, but there are millions in the survey.
Anyone has any other idea.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
IMO C

Because people who seek help are those who are unable to stop smoking or overeating by themselves, so therapists concluded that its out of control for them-means they cannot do anything if people cannot do that by themselves
But according to survey there are successful cases means they are the people who thought they could stop smoking or overeating by themselves (will power)

Somebody Correct me if I am wrong in my analysis

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
IMO the answer should be E. Only this brings out the reason why one group of people are not present in the other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Count me in for option E. It indeed provides an explenation for the apparent contradiction: There is no need for people that stopped smoking to go to an therapist. In insurance theory that is called adverse selection.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
gvij2017 wrote:
I narrowed down to D and E as both are good contenders.

D solve the paradox on both side. But E address the one side of paradox.
D is correct choice.

Millions of people mentioned in the survey are successful after they went through therapy. I think (D) doesn't clear in this regard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
I marked E. But after reading again, I am a bit confused, it can either be D or E.
In E, we are talking about "People who are able to Cure themselves". Which Cure, I guess cure shall be different from therapy, Wt Gain and Smoking are not considered Diseases, they are Habit related.

As per stimulus:
1. People who Visit Therapists, Most of them do not quit Smoking, Some of them Quit Smoking. ("rarely successful" in stimulus)
2. People who are Surveyed, Millions Quit Smoking (Most of shall be successful).

These people in 1. and 2. have to be different completely or majorly. By this, I feel D is better - ("break habits" over curing).. Though I still feel, how do you Select Millions of People as a Group. Not realistic. Waiting for OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
mnav wrote:
IMO C

Because people who seek help are those who are unable to stop smoking or overeating by themselves, so therapists concluded that its out of control for them-means they cannot do anything if people cannot do that by themselves
But according to survey there are successful cases means they are the people who thought they could stop smoking or overeating by themselves (will power)

Somebody Correct me if I am wrong in my analysis

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello manav,
Option C is completely out of context. It's a generalized statement without any correlation to the given situation.
Here therapists are concluding based on their experience. And willpower doesn't come into this picture and tell us how there is a contradiction.
If people having the willpower to quit and are able to do that, then therapists would have said otherwise.
Again we have been told that those people go to the therapists who are seeking help.
So, this option doesn't give us a clue why there is this contradiction.

Hope I cleared your doubt.
I am not an expert, but you can contradict me if my thought process is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Therapists find that treatment of those people who seek help because they are unable to stop smoking or overeating is rarely successful. From these experiences, therapists have
concluded that such habits are intractable, and success in breaking them is rare. As surveys show, millions of people have dropped the habit of smoking, and many people have successfully managed a substantial weight loss.

If all of the statements are correct, an Explanation of their apparent contradiction is provided by the hypothesis that

A. there have been some successes in therapy, and those successes were counted in the surveys

B. it is easier to stop smoking than it is to stop overeating

C. it is easy to break the habits of smoking and overeating by exercising willpower

D. the group of people selected for the survey did not include those who failed to break their habits even after therapy

E. those who succeed in curing themselves do not go for treatment and so are not included in the therapists’ data

Not a great question really- D looks to be the best. How can we generalize by making a statement such as "those who succeed in curing themselves do not go for treatment ..."?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kindly explain options C, D and E. Options D & E are showing different group of people. Option C, on the other hand, explains that those who come to therapists are not able to quit smoking because of their willpower and therapists methods are not effective because will power is something that needs to be done by their own.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts