GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2018, 02:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:10) correct 58% (01:00) wrong based on 274 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., and he returned to the continent as an adult to lecture at several major universities.

A. To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

B. For George Steiner, long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was still his home,

C. George Steiner thought of Europe as his home long after his family to be forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

D. Long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., George Steiner thought of Europe as his home,

E. Long after his family was being forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was home to George Steiner,

source - ready4gmat

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Originally posted by aragonn on 16 May 2018, 19:00.
Last edited by aragonn on 17 May 2018, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 23:00
D..?George Steiner thought and returned....//elism tested....we also need past perfect to maintain timeline....
Intern
Intern
B
Re: To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 07:53
D seems correct but what's wrong with B then?

To someone,
For someone,

Which is appropriate here?
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 01:44
"Thought of" in D made me to eliminate this choice as I thought it changed intended meaning of sentence. So I choose B

Can someone please explain difference between B and D
GMATNinja

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 02:57
I think D is the most concise and the word Europe is placed closer to the second part of the sentence which makes it clearer that the continent refers to Europe not US like in choice A and C

Sent from my SM-G928C using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 20:01
push12345 wrote:
"Thought of" in D made me to eliminate this choice as I thought it changed intended meaning of sentence. So I choose B

GMATNinja

Hi,

The devil is in details. Don't you see "still home"? The intended meaning is: Europe became his home long after his family... Now think how can it "became home still after".

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 20:27
push12345 wrote:

GMATNinja

Hi push12345,

The difference between B and D is that while B does not have the noun(George Steiner in this case) DOING both the actions,D has the noun DOING both and hence maintains parallelism.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 23:10
Will someone pls post OE out here and also suggest,

1. Why B is wrong out here ?
2. Doesn't D change the meaning out here. Original sentence didn't mention anywhere that he thought about his home.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 12:41
gmatexam439

Why is D preferred over B?? Didn't really understand the logic behind the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 00:44
aragonn wrote:
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., and he returned to the continent as an adult to lecture at several major universities.

A. To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

B. For George Steiner, long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was still his home,

C. George Steiner thought of Europe as his home long after his family to be forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

D. Long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., George Steiner thought of Europe as his home,

E. Long after his family was being forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was home to George Steiner,

source - ready4gmat

And triggers parallelism here...

George Steiner thought------- and he returned.....

B doesn't maintain any parallelism.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 00:44

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap