GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 02:32

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2018, 01:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:33) correct 55% (01:30) wrong based on 419 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., and he returned to the continent as an adult to lecture at several major universities.

A. To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

B. For George Steiner, long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was still his home,

C. George Steiner thought of Europe as his home long after his family to be forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

D. Long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., George Steiner thought of Europe as his home,

E. Long after his family was being forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was home to George Steiner,

source - ready4gmat

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Originally posted by aragonn on 16 May 2018, 18:00.
Last edited by aragonn on 17 May 2018, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Re: To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 22:00
D..?George Steiner thought and returned....//elism tested....we also need past perfect to maintain timeline....
Intern
Intern
B
Re: To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 06:53
D seems correct but what's wrong with B then?

To someone,
For someone,

Which is appropriate here?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 00:44
"Thought of" in D made me to eliminate this choice as I thought it changed intended meaning of sentence. So I choose B

Can someone please explain difference between B and D
GMATNinja

Posted from my mobile device

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 01:57
I think D is the most concise and the word Europe is placed closer to the second part of the sentence which makes it clearer that the continent refers to Europe not US like in choice A and C

Sent from my SM-G928C using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 19:01
push12345 wrote:
"Thought of" in D made me to eliminate this choice as I thought it changed intended meaning of sentence. So I choose B

GMATNinja

Hi,

The devil is in details. Don't you see "still home"? The intended meaning is: Europe became his home long after his family... Now think how can it "became home still after".
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 19:27
push12345 wrote:

GMATNinja

Hi push12345,

The difference between B and D is that while B does not have the noun(George Steiner in this case) DOING both the actions,D has the noun DOING both and hence maintains parallelism.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 22:10
Will someone pls post OE out here and also suggest,

1. Why B is wrong out here ?
2. Doesn't D change the meaning out here. Original sentence didn't mention anywhere that he thought about his home.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 11:41
gmatexam439

Why is D preferred over B?? Didn't really understand the logic behind the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 23:44
aragonn wrote:
To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., and he returned to the continent as an adult to lecture at several major universities.

A. To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

B. For George Steiner, long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was still his home,

C. George Steiner thought of Europe as his home long after his family to be forced to emigrate to the U.S.,

D. Long after his family had been forced to emigrate to the U.S., George Steiner thought of Europe as his home,

E. Long after his family was being forced to emigrate to the U.S., Europe was home to George Steiner,

source - ready4gmat

And triggers parallelism here...

George Steiner thought------- and he returned.....

B doesn't maintain any parallelism.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 09:18
rahul16singh28 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

source - ready4gmat

And triggers parallelism here...

George Steiner thought------- and he returned.....

B doesn't maintain any parallelism.

How is B not maintaining parallelism?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 09:20
sudarshan22 , aragonn , hazelnut

What is wrong with option B??
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 10:51
aragonn wrote:

source - ready4gmat

The 5 options cut down to C,D as per parallelism out of which D seems fine

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 10:55
chetan2u GMATNinja daagh

In option D, why do we need a "he" in the non underlined part of the subject (George) is already at the beginning.

George thought...and returned
. One subject two verbs joined by "and"
Do we need "he" because "thought "is not really an action verb here and does not sit parallel with "returned" ?

@sayatanc2k egmat pqhai

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 10:59
AdityaHongunti wrote:
chetan2u GMATNinja daagh

In option D, why do we need a "he" in the non underlined part of the subject (George) is already at the beginning.

Do we need "he" because "thought "is not really an action verb here and does not sit parallel with "returned" ?

@sayatanc2k egmat pqhai

AdityaHongunti

Could you please tell me the POE for B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:06
Prateek176 wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
chetan2u GMATNinja daagh

@sayatanc2k egmat pqhai

AdityaHongunti

Could you please tell me the POE for B?

Hi there !
I understand why you chose B, and you are right on your part.
IMO it should be B .

I had a particular doubt about D so I wanted to clear it out.

I'm expecting an expert to say "not a good question" for this one. Don't loose sweat over this one. Even the OA is debatable
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 16:45
Prateek176

Lets drop the modifier in B and check it ot. Do you like the sentence without modifier. But lets not stop here lets dive further.

Quote:

Let see the non underline part. if find an 'and' which starts with subject 'He' and then a verb. I think out of these two choices only D saved the parallelism.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:55
B is definitely wrong. As aragonn has stated, we can't say "For George Steiner, Europe was still his home." It's redundant. If Europe was George's home, what is the point of saying "For George Steiner"? There are many better ways of saying that clearly.

It's true that this isn't an official question, but it is a very close copy. We can learn from the real thing, but the problems with B are the same: https://gmatclub.com/forum/to-josephine ... 64758.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 01:55

To George Steiner, Europe was his home long after his family had bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap