GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics

Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 04:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:05) correct 67% (02:09) wrong based on 211 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the concentration of glucose in the blood. The reason for this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain. To see this, consider that although most human cells can produce energy from fats and proteins, brain cells can use only glucose. Thus, if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve, leading to unconsciousness and death.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the argument above?

(A) Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise blood glucose levels.

(B) The reason that many different hormones can each independently raise blood glucose levels is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain.

(C) Although most human cells can produce energy from fats and proteins, brain cells can produce energy only from glucose.

(D) If blood glucose levels fall too low, then brain cells starve, resulting in loss of consciousness and death.

(E) The reason brain cells starve if deprived of glucose is that they can produce energy only from glucose.

Source: LSAT and CR archive

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 04:46
I have to admit that I struggled quite a bit on this one.

In the end I went for option B as it was the only choice I could clearly identify as a conclusion made in the passage.
The other choices focus too much on consequences of certain characteristics, while none of them is wrong they lack the final determination I would like to see from a general conclusion.

I am not perfectly happy with my choice as it is based on more gut-feeling than I would like it to be, but still I would opt for B.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 05:34
nightblade354 wrote:
Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the concentration of glucose in the blood. The reason for this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain. To see this, consider that although most human cells can produce energy from fats and proteins, brain cells can use only glucose. Thus, if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve, leading to unconsciousness and death.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the argument above?

(A) Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise blood glucose levels.

(B) The reason that many different hormones can each independently raise blood glucose levels is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain.

(C) Although most human cells can produce energy from fats and proteins, brain cells can produce energy only from glucose.

(D) If blood glucose levels fall too low, then brain cells starve, resulting in loss of consciousness and death.

(E) The reason brain cells starve if deprived of glucose is that they can produce energy only from glucose.

Source: LSAT and CR archive

As usual, Kudos will be given for those who answer correctly before the OA is revealed!

Looking at the structure of the passage, the opening statement, the way it is presented, is a fact. The second statement is a possible explanation for the phenomenon,i.e the ability of hormones to raise glucose levels. And, it is supported by another fact - i.e brain cells harness energy only from glucose. The other cells are able to harness energy from fats and proteins - again a fact. The last part, with a conclusion marker 'thus' - gives out an obvious consequence - if deprived of glucose,brain cells starve.

Amongst all answer choices, A,C,D, and E are just plain re-statement of the facts already presented in the argument.
B presents a possible explanation for the ability that many hormones possess - the ability to raise glucose levels individually. Hence B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 06:03
nightblade354 wrote:

Premise:
Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the concentration of glucose in the blood.
Conclusion:
The reason for this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain: if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve.

Only B correctly paraphrases the conclusion:
The reason that many different hormones can each independently raise blood glucose levels is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain (that brain cells will rapidly starve if blood glucose levels fall too low).

The other answers choices refer to additional PREMISES: information KNOWN TO BE TRUE.
A conclusion is a statement that is UNPROVEN.
In the passage, only the following statement is unproven:
The reason for this is PROBABLY a metabolic quirk of the brain.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 05:03
Good job to all who were able to post excellent responses to the question! Kudos! If anyone has further questions about the topic, please ask!

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: AGSM '18
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 19:11

Can someone please explain why the E is a bad choice for this question? Isn't the statement followed by "thus" a natural conclusion to the passage? I am still confused.
P
Reviews Badge
Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 03:54
Hi suyashiitb,

I can help you there. I, too, fell for (E) my first time around. The key here is the 'because-therefore' trick to determine sub-conclusions and conclusions. But you are correct. 'thus' is a conclusion indicator.

The reason for this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain. Thus, if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve, leading to unconsciousness and death. -- Here are the two portions of the problem in question, separated by color.

BECAUSE this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain, THEREFORE if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve, leading to unconsciousness and death

BECAUSE if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve, leading to unconsciousness and death, THEREFORE this is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain.

Which one of the following makes more sense? The second one! Why? Which one of the two statements leads to the other? Is it a brain quirk because of the actions taken, or are the levels falling because it is a quirk?

The 'because-therefore' shows us that the main conclusion will always follow 'therefore', while the sub-conclusion will always follow 'because'

Does this help?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 08:50
suyashiitb wrote:

Can someone please explain why the E is a bad choice for this question? Isn't the statement followed by "thus" a natural conclusion to the passage? I am still confused.

To confirm the identify of the conclusion, apply the WHY TEST:
1. State the apparent conclusion.
2. Ask WHY the apparent conclusion is true.
3. The rest of the argument should provide an answer.

E: The reason brain cells starve if deprived of glucose is that they can produce energy only from glucose.
Why is the statement above true?
Because each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the concentration of glucose in the blood.
This information in red does not provide a logical answer to the question in blue.
Implication:
E is not the conclusion of the argument.
Eliminate E.

B: The reason that many different hormones can each independently raise blood glucose levels is probably a metabolic quirk of the brain.
Why is the statement above true?
Because brain cells can use only glucose, and if blood glucose levels fall too low, brain cells will rapidly starve.
The information in green provide a logical answer to the question in blue.
Implication:
B is the conclusion of the argument.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 08:50

Each of many different human hormones can by itself raise the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap