It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlist Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Insurance)
Waitlist Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 09:28
Hey all. I have a question regarding waitlist updates. I want to send an update to the two schools that waitlisted me, Darden and Yale, regarding some accomplishments that have occurred since I applied. I haven't been promoted, but have taken on some cool and impactful projects that I'd like to share with the AdCom. But I'm wondering how much detail is too much detail. There's quite a bit I could talk about, and could easily write 500 words, but is this overdoing it for a waitlist update? I'm just struggling trying to determine how much info is appropriate.

Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: Waitlist Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 22:51
Hi there - the best practice here is to limit your "updates" to a page. The best ones I've seen are actually bullets. Just get to the main point (you were selected for something, proactively did something, accomplished something etc). Importantly, these notes should always include a reaffirmation of how much you want to attend the school (this matters a lot).

Hope this helps - best of luck!

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 13:39
mgo113 wrote:
Hey all. I have a question regarding waitlist updates. I want to send an update to the two schools that waitlisted me, Darden and Yale, regarding some accomplishments that have occurred since I applied. I haven't been promoted, but have taken on some cool and impactful projects that I'd like to share with the AdCom. But I'm wondering how much detail is too much detail. There's quite a bit I could talk about, and could easily write 500 words, but is this overdoing it for a waitlist update? I'm just struggling trying to determine how much info is appropriate.
I think a paragraph or two of the key aspects of the project, along with adding that you are very interested in the school and hope to be admitted is really all you should do. Don't make it another application essay! I would make sure you reach out before the school makes any last round decisions as well. Good luck!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 15:57
mgo113 wrote:

Great question. While it really does depend on the content, 500 words is a bit long. Without a promotion or new job, 200-300 words should be plenty. A good test is to ask yourself whether the admissions committees would be interested in reading it and whether they would change their opinion of you because of the updates. This isn't where you write a whole essay though. Keep it more factual and perhaps some connection to the school.

Good luck and reach out if you want assistance with the update.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 17:07
Hi,

Here is an approach that you can take for this situation:

1. Clearly convey that you are deeply interested in the program and really wish to join.
2. Mention the updates you are talking about; some update is better than none. Try to highlight a dimension in your experience that you feel was missing in the initial application.
3. Avoid being verbose; stick to the context; keep it concise, focusing on the above two points. Don't worry much about the word limit; as long as you are making sense, you are good. From what I read in your post, ~300 words seems to be a good estimate.

Needless to say, keep it high on etiquette, being liked and being selected are inter-related :). Think of it this way- in case someone pulls out, you must be on the mind of the adcom.

Hope you convert the waitlist. All the best!

mgo113 wrote:

GMAT Guidance Program- The Most Exhaustive Self-Prep Program
GMAT Classroom Program in Noida
MBA Admissions Consulting- Admits in Each of the World's top 150 B-Schools | Students from 20+ Countries
GMAT Practice Tests

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 08:51
Thank you everyone. Very helpful advice. My first draft was far too verbose, so I've cut it down to 300 words. I'll use that as a guideline for future updates.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 06:28
You are most welcome. Keep us updated! Good luck

Best,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 16:13
You want to keep these nice and structured and to the point. With the updates they should just be that an update not a full blown essay to approach it that way. I would not go beyond one page here but def share your updates

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: Waitlist Advice   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2017, 16:13