GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Nov 2019, 23:48
What Are My Chances - Evaluate Your Profile!

Use this tool to estimate/evaluate your chances of admission into one of the Top 25 MBA programs
The accuracy of this tool depends on the accuracy of your entries/answers - please see below for explanations of some of them
Make sure to expand the Advanced Options to get the best accuracy

Inputs & Choices Overview:

Background: based on your own judgement, how do you think your background will be perceived by the admissions committee? There are differentiators that make one's profile more or less diverse. For example an Indian male engineer is likely highly over-represented whereas a New Zealand Engineer is likely under-represented and a Military Applicant with Special Forces designation is likely under-represented or Unique in their background. Examples:
  • Heavily over-represented: Indian IT Males
  • Somewhat over-represented: Indian non IT applicants and SE Asian Applicants
  • Average Representation: US and EU Applicants
  • Under-represented: South America, Oceania, or African applicants, US Military Applicants
  • Unique: you know who you are ;-) e.g. Syrian refugees, Tibetans, Spec Ops Operators, Athletes, Performers, and other people with unique background, history, or work experience.

Undergrad Prestige in Your Country: - are there regular applicants to the MBA programs of your choice from your Undergraduate institution?

Work Experience: This is your work experience at the time of matriculation

Reapplicant: If you are a reapplicant with a significant change in your application such as a difference of GMAT score that's 40 points or more AND additional changes such as using help with admissions or meaningful promotion in this application season, please select NO

How does it work?
There is a short and a long version of the tool. You could technically fill out just the GMAT/Background information. In that case, the tool assumes AVERAGE values for all other answers. To get the most precise answers/estimates, please answer every question. We have been working for a few years on a project that has been a brain-child of souvik101990 and I am glad we are finally at the stage that we can release and share it. Please give it a try and share what you think - appreciate any comments/feedback.

What do you think about this tool?
How can we improve?
What is done well?

Does it work for PT, EMBA, Weekend MBA?
Not yet. This tool only works for FT MBA Admissions.

Is this tool Perfect?
Ha. No. It is based on historical data but it is not perfect for every case. This is likely a case that explains the 80% of data and then has 20% outliers.

Originally posted by bb on 04 Nov 2019, 10:57.
Last edited by bb on 19 Nov 2019, 23:48, edited 8 times in total.
Update
BSchool Moderator
G
CAT Tests
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 12:08
Fantastic initiative!!
A great product rollout by souvik101990
Also, please give a pat on the backs of developers on my behalf.

"Evaluate my Profile" thread is on the path of becoming automated now.

Reminds me of a great quote by an ace VC Marc Andreessen (a16z) - "Whatever can become a software, will become a software"!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 12:25
Amazing! wish it expands to more schools and programs and include GRE score too. Thank you so much. this just eases out a lot of things for a lot of people
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 03:01
bb souvik101990
Awesome work!! Must have taken loooaaddds of work but kudos to your ingenuity!! :)

I liked: It was no-hassle, no redirecting me anywhere, no hanging, easy-to-use for our users and also has the option to display for ALL-SCHOOLS as well. I guess a lot of thought already went into the use-case analysis. I will think of some suggestions as and when I get an idea.

I wished: Much of the user pool will love to get insights into the data and chances for other Top 25+ schools. I am sure this will be a work-in-progress and I am open to help if there is something!

Cheers again!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 10:06
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 10:11
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.

I got 0 colleges for Above Average chances. But that's Okay I guess. I am an Indian IT Male :lol:

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 04:15
Very interesting tool - would be great if there's atleast a drop-down for previous industry experience. That would also allow the algorithm to consider it while narrowing down colleges based on past preference / average admits under each industry.

Good work guys! :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 09:32
My previous 2 employers were large IT giants with many B-school alums, but the current one (I just completed one year here) is a niche tech consulting firm (so consider no b-school alums). Which option is applicable for me in the 'Your Company' drop down list?
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 10:23
MariaAntony wrote:
My previous 2 employers were large IT giants with many B-school alums, but the current one (I just completed one year here) is a niche tech consulting firm (so consider no b-school alums). Which option is applicable for me in the 'Your Company' drop down list?

I think that's similar to have been working at Google and then leaving for a small startup. It is clear to the AdCom that you would not have left if it was not a better opportunity or better company. Thus the brand name of the former employer does help to off-set an unknown company that's last on your resume. Same could be if you have worked for 5 years in an uknown company and then joined a big an well-known firm very recently.
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 14:43
Great tool. Wish I had this at the start of my application process. A few comments.

1) Can you provide a little more clarity on how background is defined? I would assume you mean ethnicity, but industry also plays a part I think.

2) I also think adding something for GPA would be helpful. As I think they showed high GPA + high GMAT adds to your chances of receiving an interview.

3) For the school portion, are you counting the specific college within the university, or the ranking of the university as a whole? AKA some school might be top 50, but their undergrad business is top 10.

4) Age bracket wise is it based on date of matriculation or date of application.

5) I personally don't mind having the grading be harsher as giving false hope is not good also. This is a "rough" outline on your chances, there is so much more to you as a candidate that could greatly affect your chances.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 23:23
MG1902 wrote:
Very interesting tool - would be great if there's atleast a drop-down for previous industry experience. That would also allow the algorithm to consider it while narrowing down colleges based on past preference / average admits under each industry.

Good work guys! :)

Honestly, I am not sure how we would be adding a lot of value by considering the industry... maybe. My thought is that 70% of applicants change their industry upon graduation and it probably does not matter if one worked in IT, Construction, or Military - they can all end up in consulting. Your industry would come in from your background (are there a lot of people from your industry applying or are you unique?).

You can look at the decision tracker and filters however, where people do indicate their background and industry where they are coming from. Just try to filter past years or the past few years - https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tracker.html
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 02:53
bb I tried playing around with the tool (great idea btw!), and found that no matter what I select under 'Applications and Essays', the score doesn't change from "low". Is this a glitch?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 05:42
This is an amazing and a really helpful tool, bb! Great job!

Just wanted to understand whether the work experience and age is at the time of matriculation or at the time of application. Thanks!

Kudos if you liked the post.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 10:38
mittalbwoy wrote:
This is an amazing and a really helpful tool, bb! Great job!

Just wanted to understand whether the work experience and age is at the time of matriculation or at the time of application. Thanks!

Thank you for the question. The age and work experience are at matriculation. That's how applications consider it and how they report their student body incoming stats (GMAT, GPA, Age at matriculation, work experience at matriculation)
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 10:55
Thank you for your questions and points. I have replied below in-line.

xprometheusx wrote:
Great tool. Wish I had this at the start of my application process. A few comments.

1) Can you provide a little more clarity on how background is defined? I would assume you mean ethnicity, but industry also plays a part I think.

This is really "competitiveness" - it is how over/under represented AdCom will consider you when you apply. E.g. if you are a white male banker from London, you are probably over-represented for LBS but under-represented in Kellogg for example. This depends on both your ethnicity/background but also work experience (E.g. Indian IT is a good example here for over-competitive pool that has 2 strikes against it)

Quote:
2) I also think adding something for GPA would be helpful. As I think they showed high GPA + high GMAT adds to your chances of receiving an interview.

We have considered this but decided not to for 2 main reasons: 1) GPA in the US, Europe, and Asia are reported on diff scales that are sometimes impossible to reconcile. 2) Even in the US, we found that GPA from a small state school and a school like Yale may not be comparable either unless you can say how you performed compared to your classmates, which is what we have chosen.

Quote:
3) For the school portion, are you counting the specific college within the university, or the ranking of the university as a whole? AKA some school might be top 50, but their undergrad business is top 10.

This is looking from the lens of the AdCom - e.g. first of all - is this a well known undergrad school that has a number of applicants to the BSchool? If yes, is this the "easier-to-get-into" college within the university or more competitive one? Obviously it won't matter if the answer to the first question is a "no" where AdCom knows little about the university in general but if the answer is Yes, you can definitely put Top 10 for the specific major/college.

Quote:
4) Age bracket wise is it based on date of matriculation or date of application.

Thank you. This is matriculation. I have added a clarification note into the first post.

Quote:
5) I personally don't mind having the grading be harsher as giving false hope is not good also. This is a "rough" outline on your chances, there is so much more to you as a candidate that could greatly affect your chances.

Thank you! I just did not want anyone to be frustrated or upset that we are being overly harsh. We will get nicer with time. I promise :angel:
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 11:21
I experienced this as well, looks like a glitch bb. (At least I'd hope it is, so I could see my chances improving :lol: )

JTdaniel wrote:
bb I tried playing around with the tool (great idea btw!), and found that no matter what I select under 'Applications and Essays', the score doesn't change from "low". Is this a glitch?

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.

My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 11:45
Hi - thanks for this tool.

Questions:

1. am I unique or under-represented? I am a Mongolian born and raised female, currently in the US (came for college and got a job here). My tribal name is Chingghis (like Genghis, if that is helpful?) Not tibetan but close-enough. At the same time, central asia/eastern asia is not necessarily the minority...
Was not sure where to really place myself in the spectrum of "uniqueness". Some additional guidance in how to best evaluate background profile will help.

2. I went to one of the seven sisters schools in the US. Are these considered top 20? or top 20+? not sure which ranking is being referenced here...We do have a good # of top MBA alumnae

3. Professional experience-wise, I worked for a boutique consulting firm (management/strategy) that worked with a wide variety of clients, including Fortune 500. Will this be a medium-tier or household brand? all of our manager and above are b-school graduates (but range from Ohio Fischer to Dartmouth, Ross, INSEAD)

4. International experience: will undergrad internships and study-abroad count? also, will the fact that I am from a different (non-US) country, come into play and put me automatically in the "strong international experience" bucket? I have also worked on one really large project for an International (european) client where I got to travel for a whole year - not sure if this counts?

5. my recommenders are two very diff people - 1 is a Fischer graduate and the founder and Partner of our company who knows me well, the other is my mentor at my company who worked at the firm for 7 years and has managerial position but no MBA (she is an alum from my college) and knows me very, very well. Both will vouch for me strongly. will their combination qualify for "top notch" status or "medium"?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 00:08
Good work, souvik101990 bb & team!

I liked the part that you've also included some subjective aspects like the application / essay quality, in addition to the tangible/quantifiable parameters.

Aligned with the point on writing skills, it may be helpful to have a similar one on 'Interviewing skills'.

We've seen a lot of strong candidates with excellent stats stumbling at that final stage.

Watch these MBA Videos
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 13:38
Hi Team, the tool is amazing. I had a question around the professional experience option, would a Big-4 be considered under regular feeder to B-schools? I would believe it is.
Wharton Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 15:56
jayantk94 wrote:
Hi Team, the tool is amazing. I had a question around the professional experience option, would a Big-4 be considered under regular feeder to B-schools? I would believe it is.

Big 4 audit, Big 4 strategy, Big 4 advisory, international, US based?

There are a lot of factors to consider here when discussing the Big 4. Poets and Quants feel that for Harvard, Big 4 audit is essentially "bronze", advisory/strategy is "silver". If you are international due to the competitive nature you can bump audit to "silver", and advisory/strategy to "gold".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool!   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2019, 15:56

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi